The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    For starters the video... :D It's marked "Private"

2. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Could you elaborate on this please ?

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    The cars (at least the ones I tried) are very stable under heavy braking (maybe thanks to racing ABS) even on a wet track. I didn't manage to lose control of one of them.
    Accelerating from a corner exit on the other hand is more tricky. You're more likely to spin if you're on the edge of grip and give little too much input, but you get a good feeling for the limit. And of course tire temperature is very important. Try to drive in winter with temperature around -5°C... You either need very aggressive driving or black magic to get the tires warm enough before the race ends.
    But it's also fun to see the AI spin around and sliding through corners to the gravel trap totally messing up their race line when rain shows up and some of them decided to stay out on slicks just one more lap. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RacerMark

RacerMark Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Should be viewable now. New to this:oops:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    No idea...I never experienced that...
    Are you driving with full damage ?
    Maybe lost a wheel ?

6. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Any footage from outside?

7. RacerMark

RacerMark Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Damage was visual only, mid race with no collisions etc it was recorded with my phone, so only that view, unless pcars stores replays?
    Losing a wheel, could be, but just random? I've not been able to do it again and on the same settings so maybe it's just a strange bug. Just curios as to what happened.
    Thanks

8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Scratch that. I tried once again on some other tracks and there it wasn't so easy anymore.
    Maybe the track surface wasn't ready yet on the other track or I didn't try hard enough.

I tried to record some audio from the game but it's strange how different it sounds on the recording.
    When I drive this one specific car, it's like you're sitting in this damn thing, it's damn loud and sounds very angry and just like a race car.. but on the recorded file it sounds very tame and much less aggressive. Like from a Tiger to a Kitten.
    I never was aware that it was SUCH a loss of quality.
    Maybe try to record in a lossless format. This one was mp3 with 320 kbit/s.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    sbtm, thanks for your report, hope you can answer these queries for me, you mention the ffb & handling has improved, do you think its better or at least comparable to r3e AC etc?
    Does it have more grip than other sims like the first game had?
    I know you do not like road cars but do they react in a natural way when breaking/accelerating?
    Is it possible to control the amount of TC while driving?

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Yes I think it's comparable to AC and R3E. The FFB was a big surprise. I never liked it in pcars, no matter what I tried.
    Now you have 4 settings (Informative/Immersive/Raw/Custom).. you can still dig down in the options to get the old FFB screen and tweak it to your liking. But I drive best with Informative and Raw.
    The handling is also comparable... tbh I'm not the best one in spotting differences. It's just either I like it or I don't. And I definetely like how PC2 handles. Forget how PC1 handled... this is a new game/sim.
    Also I think it's nowhere near a simcade now as it was before. But people will still say it, maybe because they cannot honor their improvement and/or success.

Of course when you drive on racing slicks that have optimal temperature you surely have loads of grip to the point where you get over the limit. But you can "ride" on the limit very well. From what I've seen live at the racing track (Nürburgring) it looks similar to the real thing, at least more than before. Also when the surface is slippery (wet and dirt/mud, didn't try ice) it drives authentic.

In the 20 months I already can test the builds I didn't drive a road car once! lol .. so I don't know.

At the moment you can change FFB "Volume" while driving, and the front and rear ARB and brake bias as usual but you can only turn on or off TC. But that's how it is at the moment. Since the game is still under heavy WIP it's possible that mappable buttons for TC steps will be in one of the next builds (new build updates come every day, most with 3 to 5 GB). A mappable button for pit limiter is also on their list since you can manually pit now. It's fun and you have to know where your team is since there is no colorized marker or sign (don't know if it will stay like this). Only the lollipop-man that waves at you and runs back to his teammates when you're coming close. The pitlane is not a dead place anymore. It's "alive" where it makes sense to sacrifice CPU power for animated people.

In the end remember that it's still WIP and many things can still change and nothing is fully finished yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Only time I experience similar thing happen when racing is when I lost a wheel and got heavy damage on fron suspention..
    More or less looked the same car was totaly undrivable after that..... but never have it happen randomly I lost a wheel cuting a corner to sharp after hat all hell broke lose ha ha.. :p

12. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thank you again for answering those questions, very informative, I'm very excited to try this game.

13. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    There's a little more to it than that.
    Given the state that PC1 was released in, plus the business practices of SMS, they have got a huge PR hole to dig themselves out of.
    So PC2 may indeed be a good sim, I have no hands-on experience with it, so I wouldn't know.
    But if SMS intends to win back the PC-gamers, it had better be pretty damn good.
    An improvement on PC1 isn't going to cut it any more, I think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GenBrien

GenBrien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    sbtm:
    1- is it now possible to save mid race for endurance?
    2- is the AI affected by rain about at the same time as you, if they stay on slick?
    3- did they fix the difference in exposure from certain cars that change if you're incockpit/3rdperson?
    4-how is the flag system now?
    5-can you talk a bit about the career?
    6- is the time to repair the damage still 1 sec?

15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    1. I don't know, but this feature was defintely on their to-do
    2. Oh yes.
    3. I'm not sure what you mean with that.
    4. afaik it's a full flag system. I'm not sure but I think even full course yellow. I need to investigate in the options menu
    5. no, I didn't even touch the career yet.
    6. I don't think so... tbh I didn't take notice of it when I made pitstops.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GenBrien

GenBrien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thank you for your answers

What I meant is that some cars were very dark inside.

IIRC in Pcars1, , for exemple, if you were racing the mclaren gt3 @Lemans by night it was very tough to see anything outside with the cockpit view, like very dark tinted windows, while if you were in any external views it was much ''brighter'' and you were able to race properly

Speaking of Lemans, did they add the braking/distance lights on the straight? There were missing in Pcars1 and it was kinda tough to estimate when to brake

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Agree about the too dark cockpit views in several cars.
    You are like driving in very dark circumstances, but hit the view back button and you see a bright sunny day.
    The BMW Z4 is another good example. People have been complaining about it since very long, but no change was ever made.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    The main problem of some things was, that changing them would mean changing too much code that would influence many other things and it was too risky to get a load of new bugs, and this level of debugging would be too expensive at this point. And for some other stuff it simply wasn't possible to change them without rewriting main parts of the engine. So this was done for pcars2 then.
    The devs were/are fully aware of these misconceptions but it just wasn't possible to change them so easily... so instead of having a game full of patchwork which may lead to neverending problems it was the best to include all the feedback and experience into a new product. I know many won't understand this, but it was the best decision. Game-wise and business-wise.

And I don't have the impression that cockpit view is darker than chase cam now, it's the same. And in pcars1 I probably didn't notice it because I never used any outside view.

One detail that bugged me in the first part is that cockpits had "no back", so they basically were open at the back and when a car came from behind with its lights on, your cockpit was lightened up like you were driving on the sun. Now they learned from it and cockpits have a closed back now (with windows where they belong).

• Like Like x 2
  19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I'm on PRC... yay..?

:D

Jesus Christ, people in steam ask me to let them play the game... what the...

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your impressions. They are much appreciated