Player rankings and licensing - what would you like, what does S3 have planned?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbodin, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    You make some good points, Flintenwilly - off topic points, but still:)

But..............
    R3E is already better than iRacing in so many important places, that if they get the player ranking and licensing right (and the advertising), then drawing in new players is not going to be the issue. There are plenty of disgruntled iRacers after the recent price hikes, just itching for something new. And many racers who have never tried iRacing or the alternative. Oh, Wait - there is no realistic alternative!

2. jbodin

jbodin Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    That WOULD be an amazing feature -- guaranteed full grids every time, with AI padding the field if there weren't enough human entrants! I could see something like this being a BIG "hook" -- it would be a unique feature that would help differentiate the R3E "product" from iRacing, for example, and it could be something that was used only in certain series, for example.

GREAT suggestion, IMO!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Flintenwilly

Flintenwilly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for offtopic.

On my way home i made some "ontopicthougts" for MP:)

First i want to say whay is bad in MP as it is now imo.

The Lobby: Many different servers with many different classes (Only talking about open servers for all). Most one nearly full server (mostly already in Racesession). Many servers with one or 2 players. And if a server is on the rise, with 8 or more players, it is mostly Raceway/Porti with Silhouette (both tracks are not my thing).
    Than i think, "no not today and go to SP".

How could it be improved (if it is already the exact system IR uses, forget my post:p):

I am thinking about a Random-Server-Feature for MP. In my head it is a mix between IRacing and Warthunder (yeah, Warthunder, wait for it).

You have set times a qualisession starts (every 30min or sth) and you choose a car or a track you want to drive (or both). Next thing is simply matchmaking like Warthunder.

For example 30 Players around the world want to play FR Junior at 7 o´clock (greenwichtime). All 30 only choose the class, not the track. At 7 o´clock the system make 2 FR Junior servers on random tracks(tracks most player of the 30 have). Why 2 server? so we have 2 server with 15 people in the lobby and other could join the classic way. The bigger the playerbase is the better the system works (like warthunder, click fight - get a match).
    And with Rating and License system the players get better opponements for their skills.

What are the stepping stones of this system. Like said a solid playerbase.
    And second the Tracks. You need only one car of a group (one GT3 an go) to join but you need the track. The more tracks you have, the better it will work. 29 of 30 people have Oschersleben and you not - no match for you.

In my head it makes sense:cool:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    It wasn't a suggestion, so much as a regret........

If iRacing did this, my garage would contain more cars - Lotus 49 and 79 spring to mind, the radical and pro-Mazda, heck, even some of the Stock Cars.
    But I refuse to buy into a series that rarely goes official. Or waste the time practising on my own. I don't mind paying for content I am going to use, but I have the Jetta, the Kia and the RUF, and can't remember the last time I took one for a spin....I'm not gonna do that again.

I certainly would not have come off the game long enough to give R3E another go....which would have been a shame.

5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    well, it sounds like you have had time to think about what you did wrong, so let's never mention it again.:)

Poles apart. On different planets!

The problem with your random track solution, is that some people (OK, Me) like to print out the next season's schedule as soon as it is available, then plan out which races they are going to do, cross referencing with other 'championships'.
    This season I am 'competing' (attending) in the Skip Barber and Spec Racer (Think Noddy with some Aero work). I can tick all the tracks I have, decide to buy some I don't have, cross out the ones I am not gonna waste money on (Sorry, New Hampshire, but you just don't get used enough, and without AI.....)
    And then hang the calendars on my 'Man-Cave' wall.

Random tracks also negates a realistic chance for practice (and believe me, you don't want to race me until I know a circuit well!) and people will be reluctant to endanger their ratings on a random pick&mix track/car combo.

So in the words of the Sundance Kid: "Keep thinking, Butch - it's what you're good at."

If ever I play war thunder, I will let you shoot me down in flames. (I say let, I fly worse than I drive!)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  6. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Valid points.

Like i said it would be only a feature for better "brainafk" driving after work. You could still implement seasons etc.
    Maybe for the unknowntrack-problem a track-rotation would be better. 3 different tracks per week in the pool. So you have the chance to get a track you know (one of these tracks could always be a freecontent-track). And if you don´t know 1 of these tracks, well, bad week for you. Start training in SP:p

I also think of a rewarding "Dailything" like in MMO´s. Do this, get 1-3 vRP or sth else rewarding. F.e. a race on Nurburgring is daily. You could expect full servers with Nurburgring.
    But with something like this i can already smell the shitstorm of users who dont own Nurburgring.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I'll start with pointing out the glaring error: Really, there are people without Nurburgring? (I assume you mean the big one, not the GP circuit.) That's silly.

For the rest of it, (even the unquoted bits) your brain has done some fine work.
    I especially like the "Dailything": MMOs and MOBAs alike do it, and I fall for it all the time.

"Achieve 3 clean laps of Spa and get green wheel rims for a week!" I am so in for that!

"Finish 7 races in 7 days to get special 'fueled by addiction' Livery."

It's on steam, so steam achievements will probably be added as standard.

8. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Ok Nurburgring was a bad example, i wrote down the first track which was in my mind, set Burinam instead;)

Eyecandy-rewards would be good. Because vRP-Reward would faster end in grind and peolpe start to "trick" (using bugs etc) the system to farm faster vRP. In that matter people start to get smart, even if they are dumb as russia is big. My experience from Guild Wars 2 (many bugs and exploits in its first years)

9. Alx^

Alx^ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I bet the devs are reading this and crying :cry: "We only mentioned rank and rating" hehe. A daily Warthunder-stylee crate opening with a decal or small vRP would be great though :p

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. jbodin

jbodin Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully the devs are reading this and getting a lot of affirmation on the direction they're heading, or getting ideas for future updates/additions!

:D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    At this moment i saw a new video from a german Youtuber who had the opportunity to drive pCars 2. He said that the pCars MP will get a matchmaking system:p (but he not said how it will work).

• Like Like x 1
  12. jbodin

jbodin Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
  13. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    No i think not. He said matchmaking, and nothing about custom-leagues. Or he didnt understand what the devs told him.:p

14. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    A lot of FPS games claim to use a matchmaking system.
    Sorry, my lawyers advise a different tack.
    A lot of FPS games use a matchmaking system; this involves finding X people who want to play their game, and slapping them in a lobby together. This works brilliantly for the 13 year old twitch player with the expected K/D of 37:1, less so for the cask-matured veteran who would be pleased to break even on K/D.

15. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    And this is where the balance will have to be made, newcomers have to be catered for and enticed to improve, whilst the veteran racer has meaningful competition, have to say personally that following faster drivers improved my lines and braking points and although I couldn't maintain proximity (consistency evolves) it did teach me a lot (I also failed a lot, big time). So if the novice and the alien are separated, this avenue of watching and learning is removed or will there still be open class races? It's always nice (now and again) to pit ones self against better opposition, I know this is sort of available in Leaderboard challenge.
    See now look what you've done ,jbodin got me bloody speculating about the great unknown now! o_O

• Like Like x 1
  16. Flintenwilly

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    Wasnt pCars made for 13 year old twitchkiddos, which getting too old for NFS:p
    Sometimes it felt that way...

I don't intent to copy/Paste everything. But it would be good when a sim (in that case R3E) want to go full MP, has to look what other made right and wrong. And pick the good parts, which would fit into a racingsim.

Im curious about the infos which we maybe get this week about the future of R3E. :cool:

@goose praise the great unknown our Lord and timewaster

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  17. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    iRacing (again with the iRacing, Mart? Give it a rest already!) doesn't split by iRating until qualifying, so plenty of time to try to follow the aliens. Also, if a race doesn't split, everybody is thrown in to the same pot, so you get a chance to watch the aliens every time they lap you.:eek:

But even people not as good as you might be better around a particular corner, and we can learn from that - right up until the moment they plough off at the limit of their talent.:) Sometimes we learn better from those people who are just a little bit faster.

TL: DR Who knows?;).

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Interchangeable

Interchangeable Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't like the whole add AI cars to make it "Look" full. F1 games do this, I believe. I'd much rather race real people, with real swear words and a have a real good time.

To me R3E should be and can be the euro' IRacing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Formula One pads out their grids in real life..........

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Interchangeable

Interchangeable Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, with rich pay drivers.

• Agree Agree x 1