Nürburgring Background Eifel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fl0wf1r3, Mar 1, 2017.

1. muzikant

muzikant Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112 / 0 / -0

Oke I meen some fences and little stuff..asphalt by brunchen[​IMG]

the raceroom track is already lasserscaning, but for me is a little strange because
    Assetto corsa feel more bumpy and is also lasserscanning. Confused. Can someone explain this?

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I did in my post.

3. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Well, it shouldn't :D

Laser scanning has far more benefit to it than simply, "MUH LAZER SCANZ, SO ACCURATE."

You will never get the same sort of accuracy on things like camber, elevation, bumps, corner accuracy, etc. without the benefit of having the entire track surface scanned. Some tracks in real life have subtle off camber corners that are seldom represented well, because it is tough to replicate from video, or any of the other methods used to create tracks that dont involve a detailed point cloud surface to use as reference.

As good as the tracks in RR are, they would have that little extra 'something' by being scanned. At least in my opinion.

On that point, Nords is scanned, so it's layout and track accuracy is very good. Compare to Nords in other games that arent scanned, like Pcars. The difference is night and day. So for anyone that says laser scanning is worthless, you havent taken the time to properly compare similar tracks that are, and are not scanned.

Quite simple really. While the initial data used to create the tracks are the same... the tracks were still made by 2 different developers for different games. What 1 developer chooses to do with that data... the other developer may not think the same way.

As Christian already said, if it were as bumpy as real life, the cars would be taking off like airplanes. :p Not that I enjoy the smooth as silk approach to our Nords, but I can get past these feelings knowing the track is a phenomenal recreation of the real thing in every other aspect.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Let's not forget the music etc. in R3E's Nords. :cool:

I'm a bit interested to see how those Drone scanned tracks turn out for pCARS2, if it turns out to be more then the general sales pitch bullshit it sounds like a real good middle ground between laserscanning or not.

Also, just gonna say what I always say when tracks are being discussed. S3 nails the trackside ambiance better then anyone else, I am much more sold on the experience then other sims. pCARS was really good about this too, but like Nate says above some of those tracks were just atrocious about accuracy to the point where even I would notice it. Made me love Snetterton though, so it's not all bad. :p

5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    As someone mentioned AC - I can barely tell the difference between the laser scanned Kunos Track of the Nordy, and Snoopy's mod, which he based on a plasticine model a three year old had made while visiting the cafe at the side of the track. Oh, and a rubbing of the track to get the surface right.

Both are excellent.

Peter Jackson did not laser scan Middle Earth, and the Blake's Seven starships did not....no, that's a terrible example - I think they laser scanned cereal boxes for those ships.

And maybe the mountains are not getting bigger, but we are getting smaller.

Ah, sarcasm levels returned to normal....it's good to be back.:cool:

6. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    A couple of people have mentioned Bathurst and having walked around it my first impression was that R3E has the mountains "too close", so they effectively appear bigger.
    By no means a game breaker, I'm not fussed in the slightest, just mentioning it :)

7. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Always very good to get this kind of feedback from people visiting the places in real life, and don't be afraid to say something if it seems to be out of place. Discussion and feedback is what helps a product reach a higher standard.

Like some people have stated, I think a part in this problem is that the real world is a real world, whereas in game you look with your eyes on an image on your monitor (although in the game it's a image with 3D objects), and this will never get you the real feeling and aspect view. A good example is to see a car on photo and then seeing it in real life.

And the "far away mountains" in game are just flat images, or am I wrong? So they don't have any distance feeling to them.

But yeah, maybe not a deal breaker. :)

8. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    There is quite a difference:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure there is. But I wouldn't notice and so I just don't care.

Hyper-reality is all very well, but this is NOT real life and so certain allowances can be made, trade-offs considered.

I would rather see an awesome fantasy track based on the Swiss Alps* than another re-scan of the Nordy.

*Yeah, I played Forza!

My point is, when the only limit is imagination, why are we crying out for more versions of tracks we already have? Modern tracks (not the Nordy, natch) have been sanitised to the point of Duuulllllllll by health and safety concerns.

I think it so we can say "look at this realism: it's not just a game, honest!" but apart from us Simmers, who really cares. Those who understand, understand. Those who don't just think we should grow up and get a proper hobby - like lawn bowls or golf!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom Raceway? :p

"RaceRoom Raceway is a 3.8 km long fictional track inspired by the French Alps. Main features of the track include elevation changes, two blind off-camber corners and a couple of very fast chicanes. It is a track that is easy to learn, but very hard to master."

But it's the french alps. Alps Jr...

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Strangely, I forgot about that one when ranting.
    If I was going to show off R3E to any of my friends, that is the very one I would use - the Bridge layout probably.

I have all the European tracks (barring Silverstone) and there are a few there I just don't race. They are probably 100% accurate, but they just don't appeal. Probably half my race time is spent on maybe 4 tracks. (RaceRoom Raceway, Spielburg, Spa, Salzburgring - Beautiful locations, sweeping curves, elevation changes.....hmmmmm lovely)

12. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    It may show up more in VR as that's what I'm using :)

13. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Except people these days are too busy looking at the world through their bloody mobile phones and taking selfies of themselves to really take notice of ...blah blah blah.

[​IMG]

All tracks were better before Laser Scanning. So were the cars. And the drivers. The victory champagne had more bubbles. And the grid girls.....no I'm happy with the direction they went. But everything else was better. Just in black and white. And grainy. And filmed from two corners if you were lucky. But by professional cameramen! Oh, yes, you had to be a real man to carry a videomatography camera back then......

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Henri Puustinen

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Surprisingly, RRR is one of my favorite tracks in game.
    Not Hockenheim.
    Not Spielberg.

It got this beautiful flow to it. I think that is a good idea if you were to showcase the game. The same thing applies to the Silhouette cars. Turn off all assists, drive them for yourself and they are very rewarding to drive. But online there's this strange butt clench happening all the time with free 2 play content. You know, Turn 1...:D

15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    and it's way better than any dull, flat and boring Tilke track!! S3S should design real tracks.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps it's because I only ever see it when I testdrive content so I never really learn the track but I hate the damn place. :)

17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i use it for collision testing in mp ; just race and wait for the nascar green/white chequered flag, which seems to appear between the start line and T1 at the start of the race
    ;)
    Andi

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    If I create a virtual copy of a real race track, I use every medium which is freely available like Google Earth, Youtube, official websites, ... . So I don’t understand how something like this could happen ...

Real POV:
    B1.png

R3E POV:
    B2.png

Where is the house on the right side? o_O
    Where do you get the mountains? o_O

The Sector 3 team do a great job but Google Earth offers a good opportunity for a realistic track environment modeling. So please use it.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  19. zimmer86

zimmer86 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Yes very weird how big those mountains look at Bathurst.

20. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    The R3E track looks so much better than the 'real'* one.
    But, yeah, I can see how it might break the immersion for someone who has driven there.

*what is reality anyway?

Also, Rodent, if there was a "What you talkin about, Willis?" response alongside agree, disagree, winner, etc - you would have got one!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017