Multiplayer implementations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Albert Pietrosanu, Mar 7, 2017.

?

Do you think an idea is good?

1. .........

20.0%
  2. ..........

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Albert Pietrosanu

Albert Pietrosanu New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    In multiplayer game I have a big problem. I want to play as real as possible but nothing I try, when I'm in cabins and rest of the players look outside car with a great advantage. This problem could be solved by introducing a new category besides real and amateur. This category might be called SIMULATOR. When this is set to a server no player will be able to play than cabin. To be as real can be stopped and table displays helpful. In addition it could be inserted a radio voice that informs the driver about the position and lap time.

• Like Like x 4
  2. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    I think @Mr.C would love that ;)

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    It's a good idea......
    But :
    Is an outside view anymore of an advantage than triple screens? Or VR?
    Or an OSW wheel (whatever they are!), or modded pedals.
    Or merely having loads of free time to practice.

And I don't know of any 'really good racers' who use anything other than the cockpit (cabin) view.

Additionally - more server types would further dilute the player base at a time when we want to do exactly the opposite.

There is no such thing as a level playing field.

As for "a radio voice that informs the driver about the position and lap time." I don't think Sector 3 are going to waste resources trying to improve on Crew Chief, a 'free to use' app by Mr Belowski.
    ('Free to use' because once you try it, you'll want to send him some beer money!)

Link incoming.
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...o-updating-and-shiny.2516/page-68#post-106588

Free to use. Easy to install. Works with about a dozen other racing games.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  4. Pascal Herbig

Pascal Herbig Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Not a good idea.

When forced into cockpit view. Users with single screen have a huge disadvantage because they don't have as much peripheral view. I think everybody should enjoy the game in the camera view that he or she likes.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure, when I first started sim racing, many, many, many moons ago, if I didn't have the hood cam I may well of thrown in the towel, an old, blurry CRT portable and a digi hand controller, corners involved counting the presses of the button (you pups don't know how good you've got it). So I fancy the modern sim has it about right. Think also the moment it gets serious (prizes) the Devs have the choice of what goes on the rules front, regarding all aspects of aids. Personally would prefer a level playing field but enjoy crowded servers more!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    it doesnt matter what you set , a few tweaks of the cockpit camera file and you can be in swingman if you are that way inclined
    so even if you force ppl they can undo your setting

Andi

7. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    We shouldn't restrict people too much.

I could argue that a completely custom insane wheel and pedals are way better than my few-year-old G27 and that I should only play with other G27 users because their FFB might be more on point..

Not a good idea imho.

8. Mr.C

Mr.C Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Hello, did anyone say swingman? I race on swingman and I think I am fairly decent, and opinion is a very long and dark rabbit hole.
    Am I slower in cockpit, not by very much in solo hotlaping, In cockpit I am more hesitant to pass someone or defend,nothing what some key binds won't solve.
    I think the option should be available but only for league admis, but if so then I will ask for limited practice time and only Logitech pedals.... Like I said big rabbit hole

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I see the point on why you would want to restrict the view to cockpit only. And frankly, I am in favor of that, at least if the server host has an option to force cockpits.

It does create a more level playing field and I guess for some... would increase the immersion.

Many fast guys dont use the cockpit view, because you can see far more in the bonnet cam (or i guess chase cam...).

Frankly, being able to see more than you should is a form of cheating. Even on a single screen with low FoV, I usually have no issues driving side by side people Im competing against. Just ask @D.Boon :D

Being in bonnet cam for our races would see me with a clear advantage, because I would be able to know exactly where he is. And when you are in the cockpit with a lot of roll bars, a big dash, head rest of the seat, and a helmet surrounding you, your view isnt going to be perfect.

This option does exist in other games so some degree of success, and iRacing solely has a cockpit view. So it does work.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Personally i would like this see this option implemented as a server option.
    Been playing iracing of late and really enjoy everyone is using the same realistic view.
    Ive always used cockpit view, but for shits an giggles i used bonnet for a week or two and was actually a bit faster than my usual mid pack speed :) . The wider view and closer to apex allows for much more acurate and quicker inputs.
    I am also a single screen user so i chose to disadvantage myself by using cockpit view :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Are we really going here again?

@nate, yes, your a very proficient driver, I believe one of my cigarette papers may have stuck to your car last time ;)

It's all subjective, I can't drive in chase cam anymore but when I started racing, many moons ago, it's all I could use, then bumper cam, same thing.
    Couldn't imagine driving in anything else other than cockpit now, doesn't mean I'm less aware of what's going on around me though, or where an apex is.
    I don't think I'm at a disadvantage when racing guys using chase or any other cam, I've just learnt to use the look left/right buttons more often and to predict where a car is going to be if I lose sight of it.

Finding guys you trust to race with, guys you know will respect you and not just punt you into a wall, is also very beneficial.

I'm not against having the option but at the same time, don't see the point. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    LOL I cant even hold a straight line in anything but cockpit view:confounded::laughing: But I do know that some people find it easier to handle stupid and aggressive opponents in follow mode. And at the same time there are leagues in other sims that insist on cockpit mode.

13. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    exctly like the game has options to decrease the realism, why not having options to increase it? a server option for only cockpit view and only wheels users are both usefull.

there are people who invest time and money to have the best realism. are they stupid? i don't think so.
    the problem is not the cam. there isn't a faster cam. it is only how you use your rig. if someone use a 24" screen 2mt from eyes, it is simply wrong to have the best with cockpit cam. please don't read my words as aggressive. :) It is simply a technical matter of how the fov works. in that way the cockpit cam is unasable and the hood/bump cam is the best way.

there is a lot of documentation on the web on how to setup a proper rig and a proper fov. there are ultrawide monitors, and cheap tv to have the best also in a single monitor view. if someone can't or don't want to do, imho it is must be his problem, not mine. :)

ps: dear dev, a good option to change the pitch with keyboard instead of file tweaking is also good idea. in a sim who provide options also to have coofee in the middle of a race, this lack is insane.

14. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    upload_2017-3-8_13-14-42.png

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1