Sector3! Make a normal AI!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GTDnipro, Mar 10, 2017.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Until I see a full race situation video, that shows the AI misbehaving, then I'm gonna stay on the AI's side (I rarely use single player, bit of car setting up or demo's), All the video evidence submitted up to now, Imho I'd call "Racing Incidents". In just the Nords example above, under normal racing circumstances you'd take the first left, right flat out but being off the racing line, you left an opening, now I wouldn't have attempted it but I know plenty of better drivers who would. So show me a flat out, on the racing line incident in video form and you may change my mind.
    Maybe it's time to set up a public steward thread, with voting, just so we can all get involved, then maybe we can all learn a thing or two about the craft of driving fast. Then perhaps, understand that just because a car is behind and makes contact they aren't immediately in the wrong. A bit of input from lots of eyes may help to explain to some, that unless you can maintain constant lap times (at the right AI level) within a couple 10ths over the whole race, then you're gonna come across this sort of incident.
    My advice, forget the Roberts, race against real people, you'll soon be placed in a division suited to your ability, then find out what it's like to second guess what the chap in front is gonna do!
    Give the Roberts too much intelligence and they may very well decide to go on strike until more reliable opposition is supplied! ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    What insyder infermation are ye privvy to, prithee?

Edit : maybe you said 'division', but meant 'gravel-trap'......

3. DirtyriceTX

DirtyriceTX Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    In the nsu at the latest track the ai seemed quite "real" at a setting of 104 - 105. Adaptive doesn't seem to work as well for me. or maybe i'm just too impatient to allow it to work lol.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I, for my part, heavily criticised the AI in the past until I managed to massively increase my own awareness of them by acquiring a TrackIR and therefore being able to take a quick glance to my sides and all mirrors. Since I know a lot more about what´s going on on my sides and back, I rarely get rammed anymore. That makes me think, it was mostly my own driving, that got me killed on track.
    Now of course not everyone will or can get TrackIR or a VR-Headset, but maybe a lot of the problems people are having, could be solved with, maybe, virtual side-mirrors, like in rf2?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Hehe and then they end up in the Sim Racers FB group posting videos "who's fault is it" :D

6. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    EDTracker ordered. I've been umm'ing and aahhhh'ing for a couple of weeks, but your post pushed me over the edge.
    I fully expect to get worse before I get better.

Now hurry up, Postman! I want it before I finish work!

• Like Like x 2
  7. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure you won´t regret it :) You may need a little patience in the beginning, until you find the settings that suit you well, but then it is just great to naturally turn your head to the apex and look around you to see what´s going on everywhere :)
    Small tip to begin with: yaw and pitch-Axis (or whatever they are called with EdTracker ;) ) is enough for racing, everything else makes everything too twitchy (at least for me)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Ty Duff

Ty Duff Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    If, as you say, you don't use the AI much then the fact that you want to take their side is not much of an endorsement.

Some of us need the AI - I certainly do, not just because of my timezone but my connection is often so bad that multi is unplayable.

Taking up the OPs point, if not entirely agreeing with him, the AI does often make disastrous moves, and also seems to have trouble in hard braking zones and mid corner on some types of corners. I'm not sure if it is related to an aggression setting but sometimes it is as if it can't even see you. I agree it is not the worst AI but it still needs improvement.

9. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Big brother's watching, if you enter a comp you're already put into divisions of 100, it's coming, best behaviour now! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Ever thought it may be you that needs to improve?
    I say I hardly use single player as this is true but a small percentage of a considerable amount, can muster rather large numbers. In the Dark ages of this Sim, we had little choice, as the online population was scarce to say the least, so I've done/do my time in SP, It's just not my prefered choice. My only mishap with AI is in open wheelers occasionally but that's generally 50/50 wheel rubbing that goes south.
    I may well not be an expert in this field but I do read these forums several times a day and the AI gets far more praise than gripes and as I said, I am yet to see convincing video evidence supporting the few claims.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Miguel Vallejo

Miguel Vallejo Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that the slightest touch is like crashing against a wal

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Not necessarily. But some classes are worse than others (KTMs being among the most fickle IMO.)
    But yes, the collision-physics does need some work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dutchmountains

Dutchmountains New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I only hope that it wil fix quickly because this is one of the best sims ive ever played, and ive played them all!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    FTFY

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Though I quite agree with you, your last theory turns out almost as logical nonsense ;)
    If I have to turn down the AI every time the guy in my back is faster than me, than I would always end up being the fastest one on the track... and I would win every race hands down. This is not what racing is meant to be :)

In summary: I like the AI in this game and I think S3 is on the right way. And I am sure they will further improve this :cool: So no panic! :D

• Like Like x 3
  16. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    too many people are trying to excuse the AI.
    Obviously every situation would lead to a reasoning why it happened.
    No human are perfect and we shouldn't expect every human to have exactly the same line every time or slow down perfectly for fear of AI ramming you.
    Its not just ramming that is the issue, a simple contact making the car slide and spin.
    Again its not always and with every car.

I have a quick restart mapped button because i couldn't do a full lap without getting spun at some point. tried a few time and gave up.
    I am not going to sit there make a video and spend time arguing with people who cannot see it.
    Like i said in many other thread about this ( yes Multiple thread and post on steam forum as well should give you the hint )
    As it stand i have no desire to even race the AI at all. And its a shame.

I am the biggest Raceroom fanboy and its my favorite racer and game by a mile. That is why i am being critical it comes from a good place i swear. but i won't blinded by my fanboyism some people here, unfortunately are.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Whether or not you choose to race the AI is, obviously, entirely up to you.
    But stating that the AI can't be raced is just as wrong as stating that there aren't any combos where it is lacking.
    Yes, there are some problem-spots, at this point mainly open-wheelers and some of the heavier cars like the GTOs where the AI has trouble handling the weight-shifting.
    On the other hand, I've been trying out some of the combos that people have claimed were un-raceable, and have done just fine.
    KTMs at Stowe couldn't be done, so I posted a video doing just that.
    DTM16 at Spa was equally impossible, so I did a video on that. Which incidentally turned out to be one of the most fun races I've had in a while. :)
    This week alone I've posted three separate videos showing very close racing against the AI, all of them including contact, and none of them spinning me off.

All of which leads me to think that maybe people are being a little over-optimistic regarding what the AI can and cannot do.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    We don't know how much the performance of the computers influence the AI/physics calculations as well. So even if you would race the same combo, can you be sure it's the same sim? If they use some fixed-step logic that is deterministic for this, yes, if not, then not.
    I do agree that people may demand a bit too much from AI (it's a hard topic, and there is so many factors/permutations what people expect) which is kinda funny cause if you race with MP at least on public there is always a mayhem at start ;) But I also get the occasional "wall" collision that when it happens just ruins a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. nickyjj2011

nickyjj2011 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

think this explains the problems

20. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    sai
    The AI is way too slow for him, guessing he's just turned on adaptive AI and expected it to be up to speed from the off, didn't hear him mention he'd done a few races before to prime AAI.
    Kinda get the feeling it's more about the winning, rather than having a bit of stiff opposition but everyone to their own, there lies the problem, everyone expects something different from their AI. Adapted, when set up, offers a modicum of this ability but it's never gonna please all. I do also believe that to get the most from the AI we have to also adapt, to a certain amount. I just love the way mortal mistakes are laughed off but if the AI fuck up it's appalling. Lets see the chap race against a bit stiffer opposition and see if the AI are up to it.
    The other thing to consider with this particular video is WTCC don't race at Laguna so maybe this is causing some of the overly aggressive tendencies. Can only report on my own findings and this rarely, if ever; happens to me but then I race against stiffer opposition, PEOPLE! :p:D

• Creative Creative x 1