Question Controller Support

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Juan Deag, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Juan Deag

Juan Deag New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Using a Rock Candy Xbox 360 controller and still can't get over the fact it takes fucking ages to steer. Any way to make it like any other racing game, where i move the stick... and it steers?

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Try these settings:

[​IMG]

3. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    First off it is designed for wheels although keyboard and controllers do work ! You get better help without the f words been thrown in , So try stay calm an people will help you thats why I sent you here instead of steam forum trolls

4. Juan Deag

Juan Deag New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It's not the steering i have problem with, it's how to get rid of that stupid crosshair in the screen showing you where you are steering. it's very annoying. I just want to go. Left. or right. I don't want to hold the stick for ages waiting for it to go on the other side

5. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Well I am pretty sure there is beta tester that uses a controller so am sure he will jump in here and help you soon as he sees thread ?

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    is not normally there when using a gamepad, so sth seems to be set up incorrectly or is not being registered as it should.
    Make sure the gamepad is registered and calibrated correctly in Windows.
    Then navigate to Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet and delete all files in there.
    Go to Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ and delete device_statistics.xml as well as menu_controller_options.xml.
    Start the game and create a new controller profile.
    Go to primary functions, make sure the stick is assigned correctly to the steer leeft and right functions.
    Go to the advanced options tab and test the analog detection by moving the stick left/right, it should reflect your actions in the bars at the top.

If it doesn't or that cursor still appears, would it be possible for you to take a short video clip of it and attach it here? That'd help to understand what's happening.
    Do you run the game in windowed or fullscreen mode?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  7. Juan Deag

Juan Deag New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I run it in fullscreen mode. and how do i register it correctly?

8. Juan Deag

Juan Deag New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    it worked just fine, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Juan Deag

Juan Deag New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also, how do i reduce the steering sensitivity? it doesn't seem to work in the option menu, and it really scres me up.

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The setting called "steering sensitivity" changes the way the sensitivity is distributed over the sticks path of travel. So if you set it to 0% the first half of the travel will be more sensitive than the second half, 50% results in a linear distribution, 100% has the opposite effect of 0%, the second half of the movement will be increasingly accurate while the first will be less accurate.
    I prefer small, accurate inputs, so I always set it to 0%.

I believe what you're experiencing is more connected to the analog sector sensitivity. The pic below (taken from the old Race07 manual) shows how it works:
    analog sectors.jpg
    The lower the value, the slower the reaction will be, and vice versa. I wouldn't recommend setting these anywhere near as high as majuh suggested when using a gamepad, in RR I prefer them being set to 1.5|1.7|1.9

The final crucial setting for gamepads is the "return multiplier", which determines the speed at which the virtual steering wheel returns to its neutral state from a full lock. The higher this value, the faster the wheel will return. I'd suggest to try a setting lower than 3, I have it set to 1.8 or 1.9 atm iirc.

Hope this helps, report back if you still encounter issues with the gamepad settings, we'll get you to a enjoyable setup. ;)

Cheers

Christian

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    The default settings are completely undrivable for me. I don't understand why anyone would want an artificial delay for their virtual steering wheel. It makes it incredibly hard to catch slides.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Everyone to his own I guess, but with maxed out analog sector sensitivity the cars reactions are way too twitchy and direct for me.
    But kudos to anyone who manages to use a gamepad with analog sector sensitivity @10.

13. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    To simulate using a wheel? Without delay you can turn the wheel 360 degrees in 0.1 seconds, such a feat would break your arms in real life :D. If you set all sectors to 0 or 10 you turn it off completely. Doesn't go well with the 360 controller, but I've found that to be quite enjoyable with the Xbone controller due to the higher analog sensitivity.
    As mentioned it lets you react and compensate faster. I'd like a graph instead of sectors though, to fine tune exactly how much output the stick would give from 0 to 100%.