Light flashes in VR at certain points on track

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HoiHman, Apr 6, 2017.

1. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I previously mention this multiple times but devs did not comment. Maybe they cannot fix it or is low priority for them but it is very noticeable on Rift and quite jarring when it occurs. Turning off bloom helps a bit on a few tracks but also best to avoid noon or midday racing as it is worse then, again this varies by track and number of clouds.

3. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    Have you tried disabling bloom and/or light shafts in visual settings?

4. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yes but it can still occur at midday on some track & car combinations. Indycar at Nords from memory but I have to recheck as I do not have latest update due to floods/storms & no internet last 2 days.

5. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Like mentioned before, i have noticed this for quite a while. This morning with DTM on Suzuka i had the issue on multiple corners. So much that it gets really annoying.

I have to check, but i believe that lightschafts and bloom are already disabled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mudman79

Mudman79 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Oculus user here and I get this too. But only on the "Noon" time of day setting.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I get this too. I disabled light shafts and it seems to have gone away.

8. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Is it a "whiteout" flashing you write about? I have this flashing, disabling light shafts or bloom doesn't help. I can't say what triggers it, sometimes I can drive for minutes without it, other times it happens every five to ten seconds rapidly, then it disappears for a while. The only series I have driven in the last weeks were WTCC 2015 and 2016 and it occurs on every track, at least the ones I was on like Hockenheim, Red Bull Ring, Zandvoort, Zolder... time was always midday (haven't checked it with another time of day).
    I have the latest Oculus drivers and Nvidia drivers installed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Do you also have strange shadow effects? I've noticed lately that I randomly get on a track in a race and a large shadow casts over a good chunk of the track follows me around. It's like i have my own personal rain cloud. Ever seen that? I haven't found a pattern to it yet.

10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah mike I see that 99% of the time. Was hopeful it may be fixed soon but maybe devs are unaware ? I assuned it was associated with the other light burst graphical glitching

11. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    @HoiHman I've seen this effect in couple videos and i tought it's intentional - it kinda simulates little blinding caused by sun or something

12. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I think this is something else, you are talking about the screen going completely white for a second?
    I got this one too, and it's in the Bug reports.

This is caused by the shadow split, that's why it is supposed to be enabled by default now.
    Do you still got this after the update?

13. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    That's interesting I see the shadow bug and have always had shadow split on.

@rad - if you have VR you will understand it is not a feature but a bug.

14. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i have shadow splits on too and still have shadow bug. Not related unfortunately.

I did just uninstall and manually remove steam VR and then reinstall and haven't seen it since. I see it in the intro video where the cars are lined up, but when i go to cockpit view its gone.....so far at least.

15. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Hm, I had this bug until I turned on shadow split.

16. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    So i'm still seeing this mysterious shadow across the track from time to time. I have shadow split on.

Anyone else know what is causing this and when it will get fixed?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    For now disabling bloom and light shafts is the best workaround. Hopefully a fix for this will be in the next patch.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I only have lights flashes with my rift when "light shafts" are on.
    But I've shadow bugs, too. During the track presentation before the race start, sometimes a large shadow casts over a good chunk of the track follows me around, too. And in the cockpit view, the shadows of track objects are missing completely or vanishing just before my car, when I drive under a bridge.
    I found out, that the shadows are only missing in cockpit view. If I cycle through the different car onboard cameras, the object shadows come back in cockpit view. But there's definitely somthing messed up with the shadows, that has to be fixed.

My graphics settings are "shadows" = medium, "shadow spilt" = on, "car shadows" = on, "contact shadows" = 6.

I wrote a bug report several days ago, but nobody answered.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...-of-the-track-objects-are-missing-in-vr.7831/

19. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I would agree the cloud shadow bug is independant of the other light issues. None of the already advised setup fixes can totally eliminate it so far.

20. Hugo Carvalho

Hugo Carvalho New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yesterday it was really hard to finish the race as constant blue flashes with no image hit me, ussually in the same parts of the track (Oschersleben). It looks like loss of tracking (HTC Vive) but with no apparent reason. Will try something to fix it during the week. It only happens in Raceroom.