DTM Setup tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bojan.bogdanov, Apr 28, 2017.

1. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Can anyone share some setup tips about setting up DTM cars? There is some crazy times on DTM eSport competition and when i folow them on track, their car have crazy grip trough the corners, rock solid on braking and fast on straights. I tried to folow their line, braking and turn in point but car just wont turn when i enter a corner with speed like them and when i make setup changes so i can folow them trough corner i suffer on braking and accelerating...

Now, i understand how antiroll bar, springs camber, etc works in the game but just dont understand bump rebound and toe!

Should i have same value for bump rebound or should my rebound be higher or bump? Should dampers be higher on the front or the rear?

And toe, how can i tell when is enough toe on the rear?

If anyone have time to answer my questions it would be great! Thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I tapped "how to set up a car" in Google a few years back, then printed out a couple pages of info, makes life a lot easier, my brain is full up and refuses to hold anymore data, so I've sheets of A4 all over the place reminding me what does what, when I do tother.
    Can't beat tweaking then lapping, repeat.............................
    I also presume all physics in each Sim responds slightly different, leaving fine tuning down to lap after lap of tweaking and testing.
    What is a fast setup for one can be undriveable for another, so no shortcuts I'm afraid, all I do know is the car I use in a competition wouldn't last long in a race!

3. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Just to mention: Audi is using an A5, he he.:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of dampers. How the settings affect them? Higher number means that its faster?
    I've tested it once in Race07 and from telemetry it seemed that it works like i said above but i am not 100% sure. Default setup of DTM also suggest that, because they are at maximum value and overall philosophy is to make a car as stable and easy to drive on default as possible.

Could anyone confirm it?

@bojan.bogdanov
    While springs and anti-rolls decide how much weight is transferred during braking, accelerating and cornering, dampers determine how fast it happens. Bump means compression of damper, rebound means decompression. Generally you want to start to mess with them while you're happy with your spring settings and i think they mostly affect mostly initial phase of maneuver.

Imagine what happens to suspension in what situation to determine which setting affects how car handles. For example, during braking front compresses and rear decompresses, which means settings that interest you are front bump and rear rebound.

Now to simplify, you use similar rules as when you set up spring, but, as I believe in reverse - so higher number gives you faster weight transfer which results in more grip. From now on, it's all about finding balance that suits you.

At least this is how i interpret dampers.

As for toe - it's quite simple. Higher number gives you more stability and traction at a cost of tire wear and maximum speed (to a lesser extent). You generally want nagative number on front and positive on rear.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I know the theory on how to adjust dampers, but it seems to me that its not like that in RR. I found some setup on DTM 2016 from one of the faster guys on competition last year, and he uses springs 250 on front and 200 on rear but damper 8 8 on front and 5 5 on rear end. It seems to me that its very low value for that springs and also, isnt rule that rebound should be higher than bump? It seems to me that you lose grip if you make rebound higher than bump and vice versa. I found this ( http://www.dtmpower.com/Docs/Howtosetupracecaradjustabledampers.pdf ) on how to setup dampers and its very good and simple, but i found that it wont work like that in RR, so i wanted someone to explain to me how to setup car in RR, because i didnt find anything on dampers that can be used in RR.

If anyone from the testers or developers can tell us how dampers works on RR would be great. Just to make clear, i dont want anyone to tell me what setup should i use but just how dampers work on RR, something like this http://iracing.wikidot.com/components:shocks

Im very surprised that you cant find any setup guide specifically for RR...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    In theory, any setup guide for GTR/Race07/GTL/rFactor should work for R3E, since they all use pretty much same physics engine (but older).

7. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    In theory yes, but every guide that i found for that sims have dampers divided on fast and slow. So, next question is are dampers in RR fast or slow? How should we tune them, for bumps and curbs like fast dampers or driver inputs like slow dampers?

8. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    I always assumed they are simply slow bumps, but pretty good questions here

• Like Like x 1
  9. Adam Jonas

Adam Jonas Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    Hello Bojan,

I shared my setups in the proper topic. (Community Workshop/Hockenheimring)

Cheers ;)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  10. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hello Adam :)

I put your setup in car setups/hockenheimring but i dont see it in game. Do you know why?

And, can you explain how do you setup dampers? I would like to know how they work in RR

• Like Like x 1
  11. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    This setup is for the car of the Mercedes-AMG Motorsport eRacing competition. This car you cannot open in any other game modes; so the next time you will enter this competition, you will see.

Can you write down exactly what you would like to know about them? :)

12. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Yes :)

Should i have same value for bump rebound or should my rebound be higher or bump?

Are dampers in RR fast or slow? How should we tune them, for bumps and curbs like fast dampers or driver inputs like slow dampers?

13. Martin93

Martin93 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Acctually, they use RS5 :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    That's right.:)
    But I don't know if, @GooseCreature can write on RS4 sheets.;)

15. Martin93

Martin93 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Why make it easy for him? give him a challange

16. Adam Jonas

Ratings:
    +222 / 0 / -0
    I saw some people who set the same value for bump and rebound. Probably it works, but for myself, I always set the bump a bit higher then the rebound; that's fit for my driving style better.

If you use the kerbs very often and very hard, or the track is very bumpy, you need to set a higher bump. But be careful, if you set it too high, it won't be good as well.

The rebound will step in the game when you come of the kerbs, for example. It helps to push the wheel to the ground as fast as possible, which results for the wheel less time in the air and helps it to have grip as soon as it possible.

I can't say you an exact values for these; depends on lot of things, especially on driving styles.

Hope it helped something. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. bojan.bogdanov

bojan.bogdanov Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Adam! :)

This helped me VERY MUCH, that is all i needed to know! :D

18. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    interesting thread :) thx. While watching DTM onboard videos of the Lausitzring, I get the feeling that they brake much later than what is possible in Raceroom? For the first cornerI got to brake at arround 100m, they jump on the brake at 75m? and the brake markers are much bigger on the real track. I think they are a tiny bit too small in Raceroom, not only at the Lausitzring.

• Like Like x 1