Seat position

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OlivierMDVY, May 17, 2017.

1. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

do you move the seat close to the windshield or not?

Close to the windshield is good to have a better view of the track but not very realistic in my opinion.

2. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Get your FOV setup correctly first. Tool below works.
    http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/

Then make minor adjustments forward/back, up/down to suit. I have those mapped to the d-pad on my wheel and it helps.

3. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the link.
    Not sure it works for every setup, with a 23" screen at 92 cm it suggests 0.5 FOV. If it looks more realistic concerning track scale I just can't drive like this. I feel like driving with binoculars. :) I use FOV x1 actually.
    If I use cockpit, with my little screen I'll move close to the windshield, but I can't play in cockpit for a long time so I mostly use hood cam.

4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    You get used to it. I am a firm believer in using FOV that's as close to mathematically correct as possible. It makes me "feel" the car better. I have pretty much the same setup as you do and I do use 0.5x and move my seat a fair bit to the front so the screen is (virtually) at the same distance in the car as it is from me IRL.

Then again if you're used to FOV 1x and have no issues with that... I wouldn't be able to drive like that, the field of view distortion would drive me up the wall. Not to mention not being able to detect subtle car movements and hitting my brake points properly.

5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You are in a dilemma there. The tighter the FOV, the more you see the bumps in the track, but your tunnel-view hinders sense of speed, and visibility to the side. The wider your FOV is, the less detailed track bumps ahead can be seen by noting how the bonnet moves up and down, but the better your sense of speed is. You cannot max out both, you need to find a compromise - YOUR compromise.

Like FFB, I consider FOV to be more a question of taste than anything. The golden rules given by people insisting on narrow FOV, work terribly for me. I also try to get good visibility on side mirrors, if that is possible without messing up general viewing. Especially in MP that is far more important to me, at least in cars where I drive from the cockpit. In Raceroom, that are only some cars, in AC that are most cars. I do not like to drive a car with so limited visibilitiy that it gives me the impression to look out via viewing blocks you have in a tank's turret. :D

It also depends on the aspect ratio of your screen(s).

Olivier, do not spend too much time on this, do not make a gospel of FOV. You have eyes to see, so try this, and then try that, and then simply choose what you like better and what works best for you. No need to be unpragmatic here. ;)

Its a sim and a game. It cannot match reality. You have better eyesight in reality, than in a sim's hardware. For getting still as much of situational awareness as you can, you should not be afraid to accept some visibility "cheating" - it is not unrealistic, but can add to realism indeed. That sounds paradox, but it isn't, if you think about it. It compensates to some degree for the limitations ofthe fact that hardware monitors cannot really match the kind of hopelessly superior viewing you have in reality.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  6. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I agree it just depends what you are after. I want my screens to look like im in the car, enough to fool people (and myself hopefully) into thinking its a real car on the road, so i have very low FOV and wheel right in front of middle screen. I use real tablets on a junkyard real dash for the dash board. I have to turn my head to see passenger mirror, and rear view and side mirrors i can see looking forward. I built my whole rig around that FOV, where the screens basically take the place of my windshield. If i was on a single 20" monitor, the goals wouod be different.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Hehe, same for me with FOV 0.5x, yes it's just about to get used to it. :)

I just need a proper giant screen... Cause I can't mix a more realistic FOV and more peripheral view, as I need both actually. ^^

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I hear you, i use 3x40" tvs (cheaper than one high end monitor) and i still compromise because i want it life like. If you spread 3 40" tvs (with 2 diagonal) across inside of real car, you dont see 90deg out the passenger window :) basically for lifelike peripheral view id want monitors set up as 90degree left and right view outside the driver and passenger windows ...like a chassis within 3 massive tvs (big enough for front screen to be barely wider than real car) outside the chassis set up at 90 degree angles...not happening anytime soon!!! So i "settle" for lifelike front view and compromised peripheral with the diagonal side screens

9. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Finally, with some perseverance I progressively changed my FOV to x0.6. It took me some days to decrease it by 0.1 step and getting used to the new value. I think I have more precision in racing lines, and my eyes are more comfortable. Problem is about peripheral view, there's several turns where I don't see the exit but with a good track knowledge it's not a big issue.
    But I still can't use the cockpit view on my single screen, except in open wheels. ^^

• Like Like x 1
  10. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Buy TrackIR.

11. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I currently use 0.6 on a 43" TV but 0.5 would be the "prefered" fov.
    The problem in R3E is the values are really coarse adding a extra digit would be better like 0.54.
    Having a fov of 1 the opponent cars are really small and braking the immersion imho with my setup.

You also have to tweak the seat position, putting the seat more up and in front wil show you more track.
    In some cars like the Bentley the dash is pretty high/the default seating low, I just raise the seat a bit.

In the cameras xml you can also tilt the camera.
    I have it setup that my line of sight is where the virtual horizon is.
    All car camera files are edited with the view slightly tilted down to drop the horizon.
    The downside is you cant see the displays/motec but the view is much better and relaxing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I didn't know you could tilt the camera good to know. Are you able to move left-right as well in there? Sometimes the dash gauges are off center feom my wheel in the occasional car

13. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I'll wait the version that connects directly to your mind, so no need to wear a big hot helmet on the eyes. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  14. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like youre thinking VR, which i agree, dont much like wearing it, but trackIR is just a clip, on a ball cap, or a clip on your headset (i use a hat since i dont use a headset for gaming)....lets you move the view with your head...feela weird at first, then becomes second nature. I love it when im neck and neck on a straight and can look overat the car next to me real quick or check passenger mirror, etc.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Yes I probably didn't have eyes in front of screen. ^^

16. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    There are a lot of values which you can edit so after some playing I found the tilt.
    I think you can do left and right also but I don't know which value that is.

https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...adjust-cockpit-camera-pitch.7952/#post-115916

17. F1mre

F1mre New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Is it possible to set the seat position back to default? I realized I should have modified LOD instead of seat position and now I am curious what is the default seat position for the LOD I set up.

18. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I believe you have to do it manually by editing the appropriate .uvm file in the CarSetups folder and removing the seat adjustments line.

And yes, having a bindable button for that or some way to do it in the game would be handy.

Also, I think you meant FOV, not LOD ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. F1mre

F1mre New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh. :) Yes, I meant FOV.