Getting a new wheel tomorrow, how bad is it going to be?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mmaruda, Jun 26, 2017.

1. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Stop that now! :D Haha OK you're definitely right, I thought only the Pro version had an additional rubber but I just read:
    "The brake pedal has progressive resistance and comes with a Conical Rubber Brake Mod."
    So the additional spring I talked about is off-topic, sorry, and thanks for correcting me. ;)

2. rbn

rbn Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Haha :D

3. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I actually got rid of it today, it just feels more realistic without it and I can still brake pretty well without locking up. The weird thing is, that I don't know maybe it's because the conical rubber is not there or maybe I am just better rested, or maybe because I was thinking about how to do it properly the whole day at work, but... I am getting there with rev matching! I decided to practice on Zandvoort in the Cup MX5, and I could actually down-shift with the clutch and blip without spinning out. I did about 5-6 laps ins practice and managed to squeeze out a 2:14 lap (I could probably be faster, but I was getting tired).

One other thing I learned is not to do them blips barefooted - I have a bruise on the side of my right foot now lol.

Again, thanks everyone for the advice, I think I will be fine now. A whole new aspect of simracing is in front of me now.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Just chiming in to give encouragement on the heel toe...the fun and satisfaction is worth it, plus it translates to the real car! It took me a month or so to be decent, much longer to do it in my sleep...like anything else after awhile it's second nature. Have fun and good luck!

5. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Told you earlier...didn't listen eh... :D

6. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Well I am happy to say, that I am now doing quite well with heal and toe. Raceroom is great for this, since it shows the gearbox and engine degradation, and I managed to pull off a 5 lap race on Sonoma with the IMSA Mustang and the gearbox was intact. Unfortunately, I seem to be slower. It takes slightly more time to down-shift and I need to plan both my braking and shifting a bit in advance, especially in tight hairpins and chicanes, since while I can reduce gear properly practically all the time now, it's not always that I manage to shift to 2nd in time, if I brake late. Plus the added stress of the challenge makes me less confident, but hey, at least I am driving in a less crazy fashion and definitely safer.

Anyhow, I am really in love with a 3-pedal set. Driving something with automatic blips and throttle cut-offs is kind of meh now - that flick of the heal and awesome sound of them revs jumping up is so worth it. Come to think of it, I have no idea what I was worried about. :)

Now, to git gud and git fast.

• Like Like x 1