Is GTR2 still in use ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by OverTheLine, Jul 3, 2017.

1. OverTheLine

OverTheLine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +210 / 0 / -0
    header.jpg

I was going through my cuboard today, trying to find something to catch my attention, alas i thought all hope was lost until i found a very dusty GTR2 case, with instant flashbacks of taking eal rouge in a Lotus with a Mosler right up my rear trying to get past (with little patience).

index.jpg

It got me wondering why the hell i stopped playing it to start with. Though it now looks slightly dated, it still offered me some of the best Sim racing ive ever had since i started all those years ago. Visible pit crews, realistic damage, amazing sounds, realistic handling and physics ,24 hour time cycle and over 60 cars on track at once!...
    00153113.jpg
    Its such a shame that this game cant just get a graphics update, it would hands down wipe the floor with the rest of the sim competition in my own personal opinion (no insult intended R3E). So i ask, is this just me? or are there many others who still feel allot of love for GTR2, and does anyone still play it, as im seriously debating getting this thing back on my hardrive.

Cheers
    Matt/OTL

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  2. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    If you re-install, you may kill the nostalgia!

I tried re-installing (twice over the years) and the driving school wouldn't work. :(.
    The racing (and graphics) also seemed to be missing something.

Maybe one day, somebody will start work on GTR3 or similar.........

I found a copy of GPL in my attic - and wished I hadn't!

Flatout 2 is still as great today as it ever was. :) (Which was great!)

3. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    *Cough* in case you, uhm, don't know, I mean, no offense m8 :rolleyes:....,but did you follow some news about half a year ago ?

@OverTheLine
    Due to limited web access, I re-installed GTR2 and was stunned about how good it actually feels (still).
    But all in all it's 10 years after now and after a while I re-discovered all that little flaws and limits GTR2 definitetly has, while it surely was the mother of modern simracing those days....

4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't find a "butter wouldn't melt" Emoji.:innocent: When I wrote
    "Maybe one day, somebody will start work on GTR3 or similar........."

• Like Like x 1
  5. Henri Puustinen

Henri Puustinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    A GTR2 remastered would wipe the floor with everything.

Still today it's so freaking good to just pick up and play. Everything just works in the game. The A.I is very nice and not too different from modern games. And graphics wise it's good for me since I can max it out with my rig so it almost looks better than R3E. :cool:

Well...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  6. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, let's not get carried away.
    I have my own fond memories from GTR2, but nostalgia aside, it doesn't really hold up when compared to modern sims.
    Graphics are certainly starting to show their age, and the FFB is somewhat iffy as well.
    You can get something semi-decent by editing the plr-file, but out of the box it's.....Well, not good enough for me.
    The AI is somewhat lacking as well. It does okay in shorter races, but it keeps rubbing other cars, so after 1-2 hours the pace drops dramatically due to aero-damage.
    Again, this can be modded out, but it's flawed in the vanilla state.

The only two things I miss from GTR2 is swapping seats with an AI driver so he can drive a stint, and the ability to save during the race.
    Those two options made true endurance-races absolutely epic. :)
    (And the MoTec support was nice)
    It's still a great game if your hardware is limited, or if you're otherwise on a budget.
    But that aside, I'm struggling to find a reason to play GTR2 when there are so much better sims available.

7. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I'll just leave this here :D

8. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yes I still have it installed on my system. When r3e is not working, it is my next choice. Still love playing and it still has a following in multiplayer. Tho you pretty much have to join a league.

9. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    I have GTR2 but could never get the FFB to work very well with my G27, if anyone has settings for it they're will to share, I'd be more than happy to do some racing.

10. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    GT series mods. Pretty well covered from 90s onwards.

@D.Boon try this for FFB.

11. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I had to go into the PLR file and make the changes manually before I got my G27 to feel good.
    Just for clarity you will find it in the GTR2/UserData/playername/ directory. The FFB data is near the bottom of the PLR file.
    Open it in notepad make a backup copy (I just add .bac to the end of the name) and then swap these lines in the working file.

FFB Device Type="9" // Type of FFB controller: 0=none 1=wheel, 2=stick/custom, 3=rumble pad.
    FFB Effects Level="4" // Number of FFB effects to use: 0=No Effects, 1=Low, 2=Medium, 3=High, 4=Full, 5=Custom.
    FFB Gain="0.90000" // Strength of Force Feedback effects. Range 0.0 to 1.0.
    FFB Throttle FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
    FFB Brake FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    FFB steer vibe freq mult="0.75000" // Controls frequency of steering vibration. Recommended: 0.5 to 1.0, 0.0 disables steering vibration.
    FFB steer vibe zero magnitude="0.04000" // Magnitude of steering vibration at 0mph (reference point).
    FFB steer vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB steer vibe zero magnitude).
    FFB steer vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    FFB steer force average weight="0.90000" // How much weight is given to new steering force calculations each frame (0.01 - 1.0). Lower values will smooth out the steering force, but will also add latency.
    FFB steer force exponent="0.70000" // Steering force output "sensitivity". Range 0.0 to infinity. 0.0 to 1.0 = higher sensitivity, greater than 1.0 = lower sensitivity.
    FFB steer force input max="-11500.00000" // Recommended: 11500 (-11500 if controller pulls in the wrong direction).
    FFB steer force output max="1.70000" // Maximum force output of steering force, recommendation 0.8 to 2.0
    FFB steer force grip weight="1.00000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.4 to 0.9. How much weight is given to tire grip when calculating steering force.
    FFB steer force grip factor="0.80000" // Range 0.0 to 1.0, recommended: 0.2 to 0.6. How much of a factor the front wheel grip is on the steering weight.
    FFB steer update thresh="0.0001500000" // Amount of change required to update steer force/vibe (0.0 - 1.0). Lower values = steering force updated more frequently = lower frame rate.
    FFB steer friction coefficient="0.50000" // Coefficient to use for steering friction. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    FFB steer friction saturation="1.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering friction. Range: 0 - 1.0
    FFB steer damper coefficient="0.10000" // Coefficient to use for steering damper. Range: -1.0 to 1.0
    FFB steer damper saturation="0.00000" // Saturation value to use for steering damper. Range: 0 - 1.0
    FFB throttle vibe freq mult="0.25000" // Scales actual engine frequency to force FFB vibration frequency. Suggested range: 0.10 to 0.50
    FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude="0.09000" // Magnitude of engine vibration at 0rpm (reference point).
    FFB throttle vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB throttle vibe zero magnitude).
    FFB throttle vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    FFB throttle vibe update thresh="0.02000" // Amount of change required to update throttle vibe (0.0 - 1.0)
    FFB brake vibe freq mult="0.90000" // Scales actual brake rotational frequency to force feedback vibration frequency.
    FFB brake vibe zero magnitude="0.09000" // Magnitude of brake vibration at 0mph (reference point).
    FFB brake vibe slope="0.00000" // Slope of line defining magnitude as a function of frequency (used with FFB brake vibe zero magnitude).
    FFB brake vibe wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    FFB brake vibe update thresh="0.02000" // Amount of change required to update brake vibe (0.0 to 1.0)
    FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.35000" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    FFB rumble strip freq mult="1.00000" // Rumble stip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
    FFB rumble strip wave type="1" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    FFB rumble strip pull factor="-0.19868" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
    FFB rumble strip update thresh="0.07500" // Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)
    FFB jolt magnitude="1.00000" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.

Hope this helps.

12. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
  13. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    That's awesome cheers guys. I'll check it out.

14. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    If anyone is considering getting GTR2, or re-installing it. I would like to recommend joining the NoGrip racing forum. And read up on "VonDutches Guide to Better AI".
    Also I have the improved garage and ffb mod. And while it is an improvement on both. I would still recommend going into the PLR file and editing the ffb yourself. Because even the new(ish) mod doesn't give you access to all the ffb settings. And I personally found that I could fine tune everything better at that level. It took a lot of time and work. But was well worth the effort. I'm running an older system. So I have to run R3E at mostly minimum graphics to get a good frame rate. Plus the longer tracks like NOS and SPA are a struggle for my system. I can only run 5 AI on nordschliefe. So I find myself playing GTR2 quite a bit lately. mostly because it has all my favorite tracks and I can run it at high graphics. which in many ways looks better than R3E.
    Also I want to give a HUGE thank you to R3E, for the ffb meter. Before that I really didn't have I clear understanding of the settings for my G27. That gave me a much clearer understanding of how I wanted my ffb to feel. And then transfer that knowledge to my other sims. AGAIN THANK YOU!!! for helping to improve my enjoyment of one of my biggest passions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  15. Paul a.D.

Paul a.D. Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    GTR2 * F1 2018 by RMS [mod download]

16. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    The makers of the 10 year anniversary hq update have released version 9.9. They have eliminated the dead zone in the ffb (on my g27 at least) and pushed the graphics from 128k to 512. The anniversary mod can be found at race department. If you like GTR2 and haven’t installed the hq update. It is well worth the time and effort. But it does increase the gpu requirements a bit. Still...

17. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Still enjoying it in year of 2021. 60 car grid around Nords, or properly simulated 24hrs of Spa 67 car grid is Golden.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Seriously, If you love this game go to Race Department get a free membership and download the Anniversary update. The guys there have done a remarkable job in improving the graphics and physics. This is still in my top 3 favorite games because of all the bells and lights. I'm doing the 2003 champ right now because nobody has come close the quality GTR2 has in it's championships.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Hendrick

Hendrick Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Easily the best sim ever made. Its an engineering masterpiece. I love and still play it almost daily.
    -Anniversary update
    -GT3/GT4 mod by SJ Modding
    -GT3/GT4 track pack
    -I'm able to run 24hrs races full grids and driver swap with the AI
    -Everything running smooth on max settings
    -Supports mods
    Since we not getting GTR3 anytime soon I just wish they gave us a remastered version of GTR2.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  20. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    It was the big deal package in its time, and I had dozens of track mods for it. Three racing games I played more extensively than any other: Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 1, SimBin'S GTR2, and Kunos' Assetto Corsa Classic. GTR2 paved the way for titles coming after it. But lets be realistic, it cannot hold its rank anymore compared to modern sims, not physics-wise, not graphics-wise, not immersion-wise. There has happened something, and they call it: progress, advance, new technology, development. Lets not romantically transfigure the present we live and play in, and by that downgrading the Raceroom and Assettom Corsa Competizione we have today. What we have today in titles, is better, and so much better it is. Like GTR2 was better than anything back in its time. But that time - is one and a half decade ago.

• Agree Agree x 2