Driving Style.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr_Mints_Taboo, Jun 26, 2017.

1. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    When you're on a track, go in garage then steering settings. WIth DTM 92' the default lock is set to 900°, you can decrease it. I just did a MP race with this cars and cause I'm actually playing with an open wheel I used 420°, huge change but that was fine. :)
    I used 900° for drift training with my other wheel. ^^

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    @Mr_Mints_Taboo

900/30 is perfectly fine for those cars. Either something is messed up or you're simply overturning (and understeering which would explain some things).

3. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You said no tutorials but I will point you to Simracing 101 by EmptyBox on youtube. There is one or two episodes about balancing weight. Watch them and go practice.

4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Just a few days ago, I had great fun sliding the DTM 92 Mustang around Knutstorp:

It might not have been the fastest way around the track, but it was certainly a ton of fun. You can also see my pedal and wheel inputs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Video tutorials is probably where the trouble started! :)

Or more accurately this one :

Aristotelis, the 'physics guy' at A/Corsa showed how stiffening the springs of an older car (Similar to the '92 DTM) found him a couple of seconds a lap!
    As the DTM seemed to wallow coming out of corners, it seemed a perfectly sensible step for me to try it myself...........

Technically, I should have watched this first:

but the result would have been the same.
    Even if you know everything there is to know, the videos are still worth a watch, as Aristotelis is hat-stand crazy. (Takes one to know one.......)

Thanks to @ChatCureuil for info on changing wheel setting - it feels more natural now, set to 550 (no reason!)

Guilty.:confused:
    Yeah, overturning the wheel may well be an issue.
    (Steering too much makes me steer not enough? Get outta here Crazy-dude! :) )

This is why driving/racing is so compelling/frustrating/addictive.
    So many variables and possibilities.

And some great people willing to help.

6. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Watch those they give you more practical driving technique advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    What soft do you use to add this? ^^

Haha, it's a point I'm looking particularly since I started learning this FWD WTCC cars, I found I was sometimes (or regularly) steering too much, and front wheels are very important here so I work on it. ^^

+1 :)

8. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Well if the FFB is set correctly what you want to do is ride that fine line in corners between the tight and loose feel of the wheel. Don't continue turning once it starts becoming lighter.

9. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    It's an OBS overlay app called Wheeler:

https://billiam.itch.io/wheeler

Mind you, it doesn't work correctly with R3E as far as wheel rotation is concerned - it always interprets your rotation as 900 degrees (or whatever your wheel base setting is) and scales it accordingly. So if you're driving a car with 450 degrees of rotation, it shows double the rotation of your actual wheel. So far, I've only noticed this in R3E*. But I might've not been paying enough attention.

(Obviously, with these cars, it doesn't really matter, given they do use 900 degrees, but still worth pointing out.)

Edit: * OK, so today I've looked for it in rFactor 2 and noticed it as well. So it's not R3E exclusive.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
  10. WuWu

WuWu Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    It's the thing nightmares are made of :p

11. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Another Update!
    I'm only 2.3 seconds off the current 'lap record' on the leaderboards,(SHANGHAI CIRCUIT GP) which I am very pleased with. Not sure exactly which piece of advice (probably the combined weight) made the difference, but I am grateful for all your input.
    The videos on weight transfer etc didn't tell me anything I didn't already know, but it is surprising what refocusing on an idea can do - suddenly I am more aware of my braking and acceleration, and what it is doing to the car. I should have a list of ten videos I should watch in rotation, maybe 1 a week or something :) Those two will definitely be on that list.

So, 2.3 seconds slower than the others on the leaderboard?
    More importantly, 7 seconds quicker than the me of last week.

As some bloke(Nick Mason) said :

"I started racing myself and once you get bitten by that bug you really are hooked."

• Like Like x 2