Modding allowed under control of Sector 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tuborg, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Does modding have to be open?Couldn't it be under strict control of Sector 3? Or doesn't it work that way?

We really need something else to talk about than the lack of new GT3 cars :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about a similar thing a while ago, about the possibility of using RaceRoom as a platform for third party content. For example if someone has the resources and grabs a licence for a series, they could use R3E as a base for their own work and add their own content to the store. But from a software engineering point of view, it would probably require a lot of additional work from S3's side (code refactoring, creating frameworks, SDK's, editors and documentations which are easy to learn and use even for outsiders ).

3. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Devil's Advocate here......The great thing about R3E is the consistent level of high quality content.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see an option to get a custom skin, but not mods. There are others games out there for that; I much prefer having a constant quality among all cars and tracks! And there is a bunch of content now, that should keep me busy for quite a while...:)

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I really agree with this. If there are low quality mods around it kinda drags the good name of the game a bit down. Consistent high quality content is better than high quality content + low/poor quality bullshit imho..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Oliver

Oliver Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see it come with a tradingpaints like feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree! But what I wrote was:
    Couldn't it be under strict control of Sector 3?
    Nothing would be released without Sector 3:s permission. The content could be downloaded as usually with updates.

I'm just asking questions here. A discussion :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if it would work - Sector3 would be responsible for rejecting people's work as 'not good enough'. I think it'd just end up with lots of pissed off modders being angry that their work didn't make the grade, and S3 wasting lots of resources reviewing stuff and justifying their decisions

• Agree Agree x 9
  9. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Me neither, that's why i ask.
    A few angry modders and some happy ones with skills. How bad could it be? There have been angry/irritated/pissed off users for as long as I can remember.

You know what i mean; slow progress, to much content, missing content, not released soon (oops) enough and so on..

But we are still here. And the modders are few compered to us users.
    If they know what it takes to get something released only the best would try. Or?

Just speculating....

10. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    You're determined to distract the Devs from their core duties:D.

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Gerhard Gruber

Gerhard Gruber Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    For many leagues, it would be nice to make your own skins.
    This option is missing already very strong. :(

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. XXVI Sol

XXVI Sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Would be great to be able to create custom liveries BUT only be viewable by the creator and his team or league,if that is possible

13. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Is there any question you didn't ask yet?!

Modding - I like the fact that it is not allowed in R3E. From my point of view I only know one mod for pCars that is good (the Audi R8 LMS) and a handful for AC (namely the URD mods and very few others). The vast majority of mods are just crap and put a bad light on the respective sim.
    Somebody mentioned a mod team could get hold of a licence - I doubt it. If a studio can't get hold of a licence, how and why should a private person/group be able to do so?

Concerning skins - yes I like the possibility to have complete skin packs like in AC. But as Racerooms business model contains selling skins, we will never see that. What I would love to see though, is the possibility to add one custom skin per car, like in pCars. This way I could add my own Opel Omega to the DTM 92 series and race against all the real cars.
    I'd even go as far as saying, that I'd pay the standard 79 vRP skin pricetag for such a blank skin.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    A blank skin to turn in to our own, alongside the real cars?
    I'd do that in a heartbeat.

It would be great to make a livery with my company and my own decals and make a championship driving against other cars. That'd be so neat!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think this would be fantastic, but they'd have to police it to prevent halfwits driving around in cars decorated with screenshots from some of the more 'exotic' material on the Web

16. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Do other sims police the the skins used by users? Just curious, how e.g. pCars handles it.

17. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if this is a kind of modding but i give it a try.
    The possibility to put a number on a car.
    And Maybe your name at the door or some place else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yep, custom skins, some graphic enhancements for total purists who like to have anything at 100% / up to date.
    But only on the graphic side of things....for not to screw with the core elements/physics of RRE.
    Mods can bring some fun but also a lotta mess :)

19. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    I would easily pay for a blank livery slot and I would pay again for another one, and I would pay again each time I would want to modify one of them.
    But I'd like to see an editor with option to import own logos and some sort of verification for explicit content.

• Like Like x 1
  20. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    In a perfect world, raceroom could create a web-based livery editor. That comes with the core shading layers (ambient occlusion, masks...), a collection of logos/stickers you can use. and some very basic drawing tools. Given the raw material is hosted on their server, they have a lot of control then already. And sort of quality control, given the template layers per car cannot be messed with.

And if people report your stuff as offensive, you lose the paid slot again, up to losing your account.

• Like Like x 1