The Project CARS thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ::SKRO::, May 7, 2015.

1. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
  2. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Technical issues=Plenty? Name a few? I have read one person claim it to be Shift3. I can find negative and positive posts on any race sim. Have you even logged much time on the sim? What are "your" thoughts on the game?
    Every game releases with bugs and issues that does or does not get resolved. Project Cars is no different. AC and R3E as well. Play the game. Take some time to setup the FFB. Race online at Sonoma in the rain...at night. Dive into the first turn without fear of being punted while racing against the AI. I Love Love Love R3E, but it too has it's flaws. The difference being, I can type from experience not from what others think.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I've played online in the rain. There were some spins, and some could not handle the rain.....but some did, and it was good fun. It was hardly a wreck fest.

4. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    If I want to race in the rain i just race gtr2 the only advancement pcars has made is the graphics. their is no dry line or puddles to aqua plane off its just like a global grip modifier so it really doesn't impress me at all

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Tbh, I'm not getting great feedback from PCars at all, I'm hoping it will take time to dial in but it just doesn't feel like I have any grip from the tyre, the visual change of direction is the only information I have. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of what I've done, but I'm only using it to interact with mates from Ronin.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 16, 2015
  6. Pr3t3nd3r

Pr3t3nd3r Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well I have about 40 hrs of playing time for now. Game is really good but it has few issues bugs that have to be sorted out before it will begin a pure pleasure. Game is crashing from time to time and MP lobbies are bugged as well. Sometimes you can't join to the qualies or practices and you are forced to leave the lobby. Sometimes you can't switch cameras and you are forced to play with bumper camera...

But overall game feels nice and solid but it's not a breaking ground sim for sure. They sure need to polish it before we acn talk furthermore. The list of bugs is quiet big and some of them are really bad for the driving experience.

7. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. yusupov

yusupov Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    good on them but those raceroom #s are :(

idk if not enough word has gotten out about the track packs etc. i really think the problem is the purchasing system which is just irksome at the beginning & feels like nickel & diming. its alot better than it was a year or so ago but id like to see some kind of $50 starter pack or something...all major tracks + a good assortment of cars. idk...the old way of purchasing car-by-car is just a bad model, its much better now but still probably not easy to first access.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people agree with this idea, kinda needs to happen soon, very soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, something has to change...there is no way this model can survive for long! :oops:

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, the R3E numbers are quite low. As others have pointed out, much of that probably has to due with (1) the stigma of "free to play", (2) the fact that it actually is fairly expensive compared to other games for similar amounts of content, and (3) the lingering reputation from its early days. Speaking for myself, as a relative late-comer to R3E, all three of those contributed to my lack of interest, until I finally decided to give it a shot when the Thanksgiving sales made some of the content cheap enough to be worth a gamble. Although I have my qualms with some specific aspects of the sim, it has become one of my favorites, but I almost never gave it a shot.

Personally, I'd like to see them eventually relaunch it under a new name with a new pricing structure. Relabel the f2p content as a demo, and then introduce a base version that has a meaningful amount of content for a reasonable price (~ $30 - $50). One option might be to sell a version that comes with a large amount of VRP for a reasonable price, so that users can add the content they want, but without breaking the bank. To make it fair to existing users who have bought a lot of content at a fairly high expense, offer them some free VRP to use on additional content.

I don't know if any of that is plausible, though. I think they are probably between a rock and a hard place on pricing, b/c with the relatively low user numbers I don't see how they can afford to continue producing the quality and quantity of content they have been without pricing things fairly high. On the other hand, I think the relatively high price of content keeps people away, and keeps some of us from buying more content than we currently have. I hope I'm being overly pessimistic, but I just can't see this thriving in the long run with things as they currently are, despite the sim itself being quite good and engaging. A fresh launch (once a few more key pieces, like dedicated servers, are added), with a new name (GTR3, anyone?), and some revisions to the business model might help revitalize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
  13. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the pricing is the problem.
    64.99 will get you quite alot of content if you buy 10000 vrps here: http://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/vrp
    And with the discount system for owned content, this easily match the competitors pricing for amount of content.

The problem is that you need to go to the publisher site to buy this bundle, and it's not that clear for new comers..

And also as you said, the free to play model needs to go!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
  15. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. mikey james

mikey james Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Maybe rename it Race15 ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I agree that 10,000 vrps from the raceroomstore is a much better deal. But, as you indicate, it seems like an insider secret. In many ways, what I am suggesting is packaging a deal like that as part of the initial purchase, perhaps along with some recommendations for initial content so new users don't feel completely overwhelmed with where to start.

But, I disagree that pricing per content matches competitors. Although I'm open to the possibility that I might be wrong on this, but it seems to me that even with that discount and the content-owned discounts, it is more expensive than most of the others (my main points of comparison are Assetto Corsa, Stock Car Extreme, and Project Cars). I'd love to see a more formal analysis of that, though, if there is anything like that floating around.

The fact that you can't add content from modders exacerbates the issue for me -- the only way to add content is to buy it, so if someone feels the S3's additional content is too expensive, they will probably just stop playing it and go elsewhere for their fix. AC and GSC have large amounts of content that can be added from modders (both free and paid); generally not nearly the same quality, but it is an option. And Project Cars has a larger amount of content available from the get go for $50.

Although I personally don't mind paying for quality content, I strongly believe that many others find the price to be a barrier, whether because of a tight budget, cheaper alternatives, or a matter of principle. It's certainly not the only factor, but I think it is an important one, and goes hand-in-hand with the free-to-play stigma.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom's Steam numbers are pathetic to be brutally honest. Worryingly so. It's a shame because I believe R3E does so much right but I firmly believe the sales model and pricing are holding back this game. F2P ISN'T popular and content IS expensive. A dangerous combination.

As I said, pricing certainly is the problem, but I agree with the rest of your post. Buying vRP in bulk through the lesser-known Raceroom store makes absolutely no sense. The whole process of purchasing needs to be streamlined, simpler and content should be cheaper. The 50% off sale prices should be the standard price of content. Much more reasonable and appealing to the new comer.

Like I said in another post, sell cheaper and sell more. Grow the user base, get people interested and develop a better attach rate.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  19. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    That's not the worst suggestion. The 'RACE' name carries some gravitas, 'GTR' even more so. The game should have been called GTR3, end of story. Immediately you get fans on board.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    There might be something to do with Race07 users in order to convince them to install R3E :cool:
    Let's say F2P doesn't work in some type of games because 3 of the top 10 game son steam are F2P: Warframe, TF2 and Dota 2

• Agree Agree x 1