Released 02-08-2017 RaceRoom has been updated

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Aug 2, 2017.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    In our league race on Wednesday night I noticed something that might have been join lag too, which is the first time I've experienced it for while. There was a 1 or 2 second hiccup where other cars disappeared, then my track position jumped a little (would have spun me off if I wasn't on a straight)

2. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    There is stil a lot of lag (more than a second or two) if someone came in the server with a car who isn't already in that server.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    That lag is really annoying. I get it a lot in our practice server. Every time someone joins game freezes for a sec and than the worst thing happens my lap time gats altered. When I'm on a hot lap looking at delta each time someone joins with a lag my delta drops by around 1s. It's really bugging when I try to work on my setup.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Nick Feys

Nick Feys Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    This is just a bit annoying every time in the server. If you are in the server and drive, ok. But every time someone gets into the server, a fraction of seconds blocks your image and car, and at the same time you sometimes do not know where your race car is.
    Hopefully, they will quickly work at Raceroom to solve this.

5. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Probably when someone did the best lap time, I often have this freeze too, maybe one time per race or so. :s

6. Manolete

Manolete Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    In race does not mark the best lap time

7. Simon Fillingham

Simon Fillingham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    Any League admins using this yet? Does the offending player get any warning? What defines consistently?

No more questions your honour! (yet)

8. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    The update is great and the M235i is an awesome car, but...the always on pitlane notification only accentuated the issue with notifications - they cover the virtual mirror. I know people always say "surely it can't be too difficult to..." when they've got no idea what they're talking about, but...surely it can't be too difficult to move the notifications below the mirror? Or to the left or right edge of the screen?

• Agree Agree x 7
  9. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Indeed! Would be great if it became possible to at least choose where you want notifications and maybe even with choosable sizes/formats. In it's current form it's definitely annoying. More freedom for placements and differentiation in possible info is for me maybe the most annoying missing/lacking feature atm.

Would also solve the (missing) delta timing problem with the BMW M235i if it was choosable as a kind of floating widget like AC and AMS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I have been kicked 1 minute ago from the Gimpelbude M235i server. I saw no warning, I was qualifying since 10 minutes to get P1 without any lag issue, and then was suddenly booted to servers list. :confused: I look my ping for this server in the list and see 60 ms! :eek:
    Not really happy with that and I'd also like to read how this "consistently" is implemented. I don't think I have connections issues, I often play online without issue.

11. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the value the admin specifies, so if they set it to kick everybody above let's say 40, even a relatively good ping like 60 will get you booted.
    Consistently means that your ping has to exceed the limit for several consecutive seconds, so it won't kick because of short spikes. Sb else would have to provide you with the actual numbers tho. (EDIT: see below for details.)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  12. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Ping limit should be drawn in server infos on servers list page, so we avoid mistakes when joining a server. Even a warning when joining a server where our ping exceeds or is close to the limit. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    It measures an average on 60 seconds. If average is higher than limit set, you get booted.

We can't do that check on the lobby because most bad connections are usually the result of bad wifi signals, overlapping wifi frequencies, etc, which results in good ping results (60ms for example) at one moment, then can easily go more than 1000 for a minute or two, resulting in client failing to sync with the server and causing havoc.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, but this
    should be doable, right? Just displaying the limit that has been set.

15. Racki

Racki Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +131 / 0 / -0
    Is there a message on the server when a high ping is booted?

16. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    We had a league event right after the update on Wednesday and one member joined a bit late in the middle of qualyfing, with a car nobody else used. The game froze for everyone while the new car loaded, but I was kicked out from the event. The latency limit was set to 200 according to the organizers and my ping values were fine (around 20) during the whole session.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Timmy L

Timmy L Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    'bad connections are usually the result of bad wifi signals'.
    This.
    Over on iracing this issue is a nightmare..
    When people are asked, it is always because they are on wifi.
    Not hard wired.
    Funny thing is, it is always the US guys..
    I honestly thought they would get it..
    Get yourself a 10m cable, and that should be job done for you.
    Explain and encourage your fellow racers to do the same.
    However, it is not their fault.
    Iracing does not provide any helpful, easy to read guides, nothing.
    Maybe RaceRoom will...
    Maybe RaceRoom will, come super multiplayer launch day..
    Iracing points people towards the forum.
    That, in my view, is not good enough.
    Not in today's market.
    You do not send customers to other customers for help.
    Not noticed it happening in the supermarket, 'hello, could you help me find the beans?'
    'Sorry love, I just work here. Go and ask one of those customers, over there, look for the ones with beans in the basket..'
    Nuts.
    That is not customer service, take the lead and provide easy set-up guides.
    Cannot be that hard to produce a guide about why hard wired is better than wifi, with regards to online games.
    Gentle reeducation is the key.
    You can have the most stable server in the world, yet if the players are using a variable connection, wifi, blinking, jumping, disappearing cars is what you end up with.
    And people end up blaming the company, when in fact it is the player.
    Welcome to most races in iracing...

(Iracing servers crashing is another story...)
    (Iracing servers crashing due to badly coded tracks is another story..)
    (Iracing servers crashing due to badly coded track and car combinations is another story..)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    @J-F Chardon
    I thought about this yesterday, what is our ping when the game froze cause of a join lag? I suppose it's something like the duration of the freeze?

So if the server limit is 200 and my ping is 60, what is my average ping over one minute if 3 players joined the server and my game froze for 2 seconds everytime?

That wasn't my case cause I was on a 325i only server, so no join lag when I was kicked, but the Balrog issue looks like.

On Track Day servers there's constantly connections, the freezes are already hard to handle, so if we add some kicks... :s

Note that I like the idea of kicking laggers. ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  19. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    If someone is into online gaming, a proper hardwired network should be considered as mandatory. Wifi is way to unreliable for low latency gaming. Even with direct sight it's prone to malfunctions due to signal inferences with all kind of electronic equipment and even buildings construction materials (absorbing the signals vs reflection the signals materials, and 99 out of 100 it will be absorbing them).

Good reliable wifi is way more a true engineering challenge than a good reliable hardwired network. And reliable fast wifi is way more expensive when done right than a proper gigabit network. But over the years consumers adapted to wifi becuase it is presented as an easy reliable network solution. Which in fact it isn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  20. wozdecky

wozdecky Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Great update.
    Is it possible to enable quick chat buttons (I think there are 6 of them) to make easier communication durig racing.
    It will be nice if they will be custom text asigneable.

thx,

• Agree Agree x 2