New to RRRE: Beginner questions on purchasing & game in general

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord Brett Sinclair, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Lord Brett Sinclair

Lord Brett Sinclair New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello fellow simracers,

Back in late 2010 I bought my first racing sim, GTR Evo (+Race 07 obviously), just shy of a year later I switched to GTR2. I used mouse steering for years, and a Logitech DFGT for two years now.
    Since then I drove in many sims, but (other than the "special" sims GPL, F1C, NR2003 & RBR) no other sim, be it rfactor, PCARS, Assetto Corsa or any other, ever came close to the feeling of Simbin's games. Only lately I reinstalled both these games and was blown away by the enjoyment I can still get from them.
    There is only one logical step for me now: Buy RaceRoom Racing Experience!
    I already installed the game, it runs fine at lower settings against 30 AI, despite my aging hardware (which will be, judging by PCARS1, unable to handle its upcoming successor); the sounds are amazing, AI are great and the physics spot on. So far I was put off by the business model behind this game, but I guess that's the price I - literally - have to pay. Still better than iracing's system of paying both for content and subscription.
    I decided to obviously buy all the tracks and the unique, vintage content: DTM 1992, GTO, Group 5 & Touring Classics. By my rough estimation the cheapest way is to get the American and European tracks pack plus the legends experience, for a total of €42,56 (or 5200 vRP).
    Would it be cheaper to buy 5000 vRP and another 500 vRP for a total of €39,48, however? Or would it be cheaper to buy the Legends Experience first and the two track packs later, given that I already buy some tracks with the former, which should possibly result in a lower price for the track packs? Is there another, better way I did not think of?
    Is it possible to purchase via Paysafecards?
    And are there sales, comparable to the seasonal Steam sales?
    Thank you!

Best, the man who will soon race you on the track,
    Brett Sinclair

ps:
    It appears there is no weather system in RRRE. Why so? It feels like more and more features are omitted from the games following GTR2: Nightracing with transitions first, now weather influence. Will it be added in the foreseeable future?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

weather just wasn't part of the original game design. Putting it in subsequently isn't the easiest of tasks I guess, and it won't get easier the more content there is. So I'm not sure we'll ever see that, but if we do it won't be soon.

There are sales, in past years there have been easter, summer and christmas sales iirc, might have forgotten one.
    I don't think paying via Paysafe is a thing, but I might be wrong. I *think* you can use Paysafe to add money to your steam wallet tho.

I assume you're referring to buying vRP at raceroomstore.com here. This is always recommended as it will give you the biggest possible dicount for buying vRP. If you buy many items at once in the in-game store and pay via your steam wallet you will also get a bulk vRP discount, but that will only get as high as 18% whereas you'll get a 30% discount if you buy the 5000vRP bundle at raceroomstore.

And your second assumption is also correct. If you buy the Legends pack first you will buy the tracks included in that at a 77% discount and the price of those tracks will be deducted from the price of the track packs, so you will only pay for the tracks you don't own already, effectively reducing the overall cost a little more.

Don't know if you noticed but a new track has been announced recently, so you might want to wait until after that has been released to buy the track packs. However, I don't know whether that track should/will be included in one of the track packs after its release. It should, but I can't promise that now.

3. Lord Brett Sinclair

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for replying!
    That's a pity. Ten or fifteen years ago nobody would think that games would gradually lose features and become more stale over the years...
    I'll buy them in that order than. I don't think I'll hold back a month or two for the next sale or the new track, though.
    Paysafecard can indeed be used to pay for my Steam wallet; but not in the raceroomstore. But how can I buy vRP with my Steam wallet?

Best,
    Brett

4. Sdemonnz

Sdemonnz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    Hey Brett, welcome to RaceRoom! The weather thing seems to rare its ugly head from time to time....it is a shame that weather isn't incorporated into raceroom -even if it was just a "rain" option (so it wouldn't change mid-race) that being said, I too have followed the Simbin/Sector3 path and largely found that most online players would drop if rain was turned on......

There would be so much to do now to introduce it - think modelling wipers, tear-offs on the cars...not to mention redesigning the tracks to feature race lines etc. But who knows it could happen down the track - the new tyre compounds about to be introduced could be the start of such a development - after all we would NEED wet tyres for rainy days!

All I can say is enjoy the game for what it is - great fun!
    Chris

5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    You can't.
    Technically, if you buy something in-game and pay with money in your steam wallet the store will buy the vRP needed for that content in the background and then use those vRP to pay for the content. But you can't buy vRP in-game or using your steam wallet yourself. Sorry if my previous statement was a bit unclear.

So on raceroomstore.com the only two payment options available for continental Europe users are credit card and paypal, sadly.

6. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Focus on buying track packs, the tracks generally all are of high quality.

Note that you can drive every car in the shop for free as a test. Buy just those cars whose handling characteristics meet your taste. You do not need complete car and skin list to see stuff you do not own being used by the AI on track. It uses unowned content, only yourself cannot drive stuff you do not own. "Watch, but don't touch..." :) Also, to race in any car class or series, you already can participate if you own only one car of that group. Finally, think twice whether you really want ALL yearly ediitons of one and the same race series, for exmaple DTM 2014, 2015 and 2016, or WTCC of several years. I suggest to just focus on the most recent one.

Very important: get this app: Crewchief. Its so good, pretty much everybody agrees its a must have.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  7. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Another tip to test a car and track is to participate to the competitions. They are mostly free, so you don't need to own the track or the car. At the moment, only 1 is "premium" (so you need the car, but I'm not sure about the track (because I own it)).

8. Lord Brett Sinclair

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for answering!
    The fact that there are not even soft and hard DRY tyres really makes the game look lackluster, sadly...
    I test drove all the cars in the Legends pack yesterday; buying all those I enjoyed would, however, be more expensive than getting the pack.
    I'm going to just buy from the store then. A few Euros more, but I can use my paysafecard and Steam wallet.
    I'm also going to check out the competitions.
    One last question on the purchasing process: If I buy the Legends pack first (€29,24), I do not get the 18% discount (roughly 30€; neither with buying only the track packs later (€32,04). I don't know how much the track packs will be reduced for the tracks I already bought with the Legends pack, but I do not think I would save anything (by my rough estimate, I would end up with €40 - €45 that way). Am I correct in that assumption?

Best,
    Brett

9. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    For the tyre compounds, next update, they will introduce them for Formula Raceroom X-17 and FR US only.
    For the packs, I don't really know ;)

10. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    The thing with Raceroom is that it's a platform rather than a disc released game. If I add up what I spend to play with my friends on forza, which is mostly recycled content, every couple of years,then work out what I'm spending on Raceroom, which every bit I pay for is new with the exception of the annual DTM and WTCC updates, Raceroom actually gives me better value overall. I wouldn't be without either, but racerooms payment model is "muddy" and confusing.

It is what it is though and I happy to pay for a game that I enjoy and that the devs continue to put effort into building.

Welcome to Raceroom :)

11. Lord Brett Sinclair

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am still not a fan of this system (at all), but it does have its perks. Forza is special :D
    Problem is, tracks still cost money. And without tracks (and modding capabilities) a racing sim is worthless. So you have to pay a decent amount of money on tracks to even enjoy the cars you want to buy.
    If Sector3 was brighter, they would release tracks for free but make the cars more expensive.
    Thank you!

Best,
    Brett

12. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    There are pro's and con's on every aspect. Some don't care that much about the variety of tracks, some don't care that much about the variety of cars. If you give one side everything for free but make the other side more expensive, you'll make one side not that happy...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    RR is one of the more costly titles on the market, no doubt. And the microtransaction business model takes pelnty of flak since all beginning on. But that is how it is. Things could be worse/more costly, however. I say iRacing.

Buy tracks over longer time, one by one, that does not leave one big mark in your wallet. Or buy track packs. Wait for sales.

Did I already mention to get CrewChief (for free)...? :)

14. Karting06

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    You can't mod the game.
    But you can use add-ons like CrewChief that use the shared memory API :)

15. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Since you're new to the game, I guess you're not yet familiar with the endless stream of comments on how overpriced the content in R3E already is and how you get five cars for 10 euro in AC yet only 2 or 3 in R3E that comes up every time they release something new and/or the discussion mentions pricing. Yet you would propose making the cars even more expensive and consider doing so "brighter" (so effectively calling S3 dumb - which, BTW, is quite unfair in any way as S3 have little to do with R3E pricing or business model).

16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I have no beef with the "buy the content you want" system, but i can understand the beef given the other titles out there with a more "bait and switch" model.

Still, youre willing to give the game a shot, which will be worth it. I see so many that flat out refuse to play due to the model, but will drop $60 on pcars and then complain its no good. Id rather have the chance to spend $10 and claim its no good.

17. Lord Brett Sinclair

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    60€ truly feels quite steep. But then again, cinema is 8 - 15 € for two hours of enjoyment, given that computer games are crazy cheap...
    I'll check out of the CrewChief for sure.
    I may decide to wait for the next RRRE sale, though. GTR2 will keep me busy in the meanwhile ;)

Best,
    X8X8X

18. Jdizzy42

Jdizzy42 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A lot of people compllain about the business model of RRRE. However I bought the premium pack when it was on sale. For $65 US I got every piece of content in the game. To me this is easily worth the price, as it is pretty much the same price as any other new game I buy. I paid $60 for project cars, and I enjoy this game much more and it is a lot of content you get.

Afterwords yes I have to buy each piece of content seprately. And i get some of the complaints of the prices for individual cars, but it is still half the price I was paying for cars in Iracing. Also you can decide to only get cars you want, compared to Pcars, Forza, Assetto, etc. where you have to pay for a whole pack of cars when there might only be one you actually want to use.

And yes RRRE is missing some keys features for a modern sim, but for the last year or 2 they have been really upgrading this sim. Any features still missing I'm confident that they are working on it.

Also I also suggest Crew Chief. A definite must have add on in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1