Lowering CPU usage - any tips?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Case, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Basically what the title says. I've been trying to stream my races lately (not that they're anything spectacular, except maybe spectacular fails sometimes :D) and while my somewhat aging PC (i5 2500k at 4.3 GHz, GTX970, 16 GB) manages to run R3E perfectly fine when I play normally, while streaming, I sometimes come fairly close to 100 % CPU.

So, any tips on how to get a bit more headroom? Any tips on settings I can lower that could have lowered my CPU usage a bit? Can't say I'm exactly thrilled about trying every single option to see what (if any) impact it has on the CPU, so I was hoping someone could perhaps have some tips.

BTW note that I'm pretty much only speaking about online racing.

Thanks.

2. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,507 / 0 / -0
    • Informative Informative x 3
  3. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, getting a dedicated streaming PC would of course help, but that's really not an option for me at this time (nor do I think it's worth it for my kind of streaming anyway). And the main CPU hog for me is R3E anyway, I've optimized the rest the best I could. I was thinking I could maybe lower some settings to lower the CPU usage in R3E, as R3E alone can easily eat 75+ percent of my CPU with random spikes to almost 90 percent even without streaming (pretty much the highest CPU usage of all the sims I regularly play, except maybe AC at times) - the other software running only really consumes a few percent on top of that. But yeah, I've done a few tests in the meantime and it does indeed seem like most of the R3E settings don't have a noticeable CPU usage impact.

Still, thank you for the answer, appreciated. And the NDI stuff is definitely interesting, even if it's not really applicable for me.

4. Oreos

Oreos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    I tried to stream R3E once, couldn't get it at a smooth rate even at 720, 30fps.

i5 3570k, 16GB DDR3 and a 980.

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'm streaming more or less fine at 1080p 60 using NVENC. I'd just like to get a bit more headroom and thought it might be possible to perhaps lower some more CPU intensive options a bit.

6. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    Hello mate, how high is your bitrate?
    I stream with OBS on an i5 6500 using the NVENC H.264 codec, 60fps in 1080p, 15000 bitrate, quality is fine and CPU never really goes above 10% usage on OBS.
    If you've updated OBS recently, check your settings again, mine has a habit of reverting back to the CPU bound x.264 codec and default settings which just doesn't work for an i5 :D

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'm usually streaming at around 7000. Doesn't look all that great, but I can't do more reliably.
    And yes, OBS is using NVENC and is using as little CPU as reasonably possible. Like I've said, the main CPU hog here is R3E - it has fairly high CPU usage for me even when not streaming at all.