Question Racing with current AI

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by The Iron Wolf, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Emerson Meyer

Emerson Meyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    If you hit from behind a car in this game, YOU spin out...

Like in real life? Don't remember Senna hitting every single slower car in front of him...

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. matteman

matteman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    We are all aware that the AI still needs some tweaking, especially with regards to collisions, front and rear.
    This thread is simply trying to offer some tips on how to deal with them whilst we are waiting for some improvements from Sector 3.
    The first question one should ask is, why am i hitting the other cars to start with. I would suggest that previous AI from other Sims allowed this to happen. There were no consequences for this type of over aggressive driving in earlier model Sims and as such a lot of us have been conditioned to this style of bump and pass racing. This style of driving is also reflected by some drivers in online racing. A fast driver, A calculating driver, A strategic driver can effect a passing maneuver without contact in most cases.( Using Emerson M's example - Ayrton Senna) Patients and tactic are key to successful passing. If you are quicker you will get by, If you are not quicker you wont. Attempting a low percentage passing move will more often than not result in failure.

I think the AI in this Sim RRE teaches / forces us to be better, cleaner drivers and that can only be a good thing especially for online competition.
    Just my opinion. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Same here and i started to hate the AI, expecially the DTM2013/14-AI, because they seem to have even more horsepower than my car and better breaks in every class. In the WTCC they are to slow i mentioned, even on 115. But in all classes they are far more aggressive than playing online with every kind of setting if you are in the field. I never got kicked in the back and sent off the road that often than in R3E offline and my opinion is, it wasn´t so bad few months ago. They should integrate an aggression-setting and/or an option to make this contacts more foregiving (more like in pCars). I always map a restart-button to my wheel, because i have to use it way to often.

4. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    There are AI tweaks in the works that should address several of the points brought up here, but it needs tweaking for the different car classes and the different tracks. As such it might be some time yet before it is released.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
  5. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the honest and informative response, as well as JF's over at VirtualR.

6. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks and i hope this will be better. But I have to correct my impression a little. Driving in the same line with the AI does a good job to avoid contacts, but who can keep the line anyway...especially in Group 5 (amazing job by the way).
    I´ve one big concern, which is more important: Why R3E have no rubber-racing-line? iRacing has it, Assetto Corsa has it, GSCE has it etc. and it´s really so helpfull to learn a track, and to avoid AI-contacts in this case.

The ideal racing line in R3E only pops up, if you race a leaderboard challenge after one proper lap and nearly nobody knows that. It´s nice, but the rubber racing lines in AC really tought me how to drive Nordschleife fast and safe. Using your existing line in a race would be nice as alternativ and for learning, but please add a rubber-line:rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys! This thread turned out to be quite productive. Here are main takeaways for me so far:
    • AI issues are very class/track dependent.

• To some extent, collisions with AI are caused by "skill" mismatch. So, the closer AI matches your speed, the less likely accidents are to happen.
      I in fact observed this myself this weekend: after I set AI strength to be closer to mine (DTM2014/Hockenheim/85) I had less accidents than usual (previously 83).
    • Some collisions are caused by me passing too optimistically, like, trying to pass 5 cars in one turn :) Of course that's unrealistic.

• I like idea of crashes being penalized baldy - I do not want to play arcade game. So what I'd like to see, is least possible crashes, and crashing largely discouraged. Side notes on this:
      • As some players outlined elsewhere already, being off track in sand in R3E is currently not as painful as it was, say in GTR2. This might encourage reckless driving.
      • Daydreaming: I wish there were penalties for causing a crash, like in F1, but I fail to imagine how to make this possible without having assigned real person(s) to be referees.

8. Azfalt Raser

Azfalt Raser Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I have found that I have become a worse driver, driving against AI. It's about muscling past them rather than clean passing. I tried 7 races today. 15 minute race, starting 12th. worked my way up to 5th. Every race, punted off the track to last place at least twice.

I've experienced everything mentioned:
    - AI braking unexpectedly (middle of straight away) for no reason. Ram them while drafting and "I" spin out.
    - AI braking on the EXIT of a turn. I ram them and "I" spin out.
    - AI braking in front of me, on the race line, I react and just barely slow down to miss, and get punted from behind. "I" spin out.
    - I slow down to keep from hitting cars in front of me (to drive clean), AI rams me from behind. "I" spin out.
    - AI blocks. I'm drafting them, I pull right under braking, they block, I switch back left, they block again, this time I can't avoid them. "I" spin out.
    - I try to race them clean and give them space, they lean on me. Slightest touch, side by side - "I" spin out.
    - I'm inside of AI car, half car length ahead. I start to turn into a corner, AI turns into me, hits my rear quarter, straightens my car and I go off track..
    - Turning in a corner, AI slams into you and pushes you sideways off the track "I" get cut track penalty

I was going to make "AI's Greatest Hits" video. But since AI is being changed, I deleted my saved races.
    I'm faster than the AI and trying to train the adaptive AI. Raced 7 races yesterday, I finished one race better than my 12th starting position (the 7th race). The rest were in last place from being rammed off the track.

It's basically not about driving. It's about surviving. I'll drive just like AI because that's what I've been trained to do. If AI can block, making 2 and more moves to prevent my pass, then it must be okay in online races. It must be okay to "rub" mid corner (front of my car to your rear). That's how Sector3 programmed it. So it must be okay. If I brake check you, AI taught me that and it must be okay since Sector3 programmed it.

It is true, the faster you drive, the cleaner/better AI seems to drive. But you still get the tap mid corner which spins you out. And on that level, you have no hope of catching them, since some of my tracks, they're turning leaderboard laptimes from my training them.

9. baronesbc

baronesbc Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    In general I agree with you, the AI of R3E is one of the best around.
    But it is undeniable that there is some problem with collisions (they have disproportionate consequences sometimes, but also physics side there is something strange. For example, if I hit the side of the rear of the car in front of, it continues to go peaceful while my car ends in a 360°), and above all, it is undeniable that they are overly aggressive under braking.
    They try to get in even when there isn't the real chance to make a overtake. This happens at 120% of difficulty, when you have an AI behind, easily it causes an incident.
    I believe that one extra slide for aggression can fix it

10. Ocaso Dorado

Ocaso Dorado Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Users vs AI

Trying to understand the behavior of AI.... I noticed you don't race with a splitted AI, you race with a whole AI. I mean, you don't race with a single car of AI you race with a train. AI it's programmed to win at any cost, AI will sacrifice one of her cars to make you loose. Don't be surprised if you are recovering fast from last position and you suddenly crash with slow car. the AI won't just care to loose one of their wagons to maintain you in last place. AI wins with any of her cars.

Even in real races a simple touch with another car could make you spinning around.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I'd allow myself to reiterate the key point in this thread IMHO: make sure you match AI skill to your current skill as close as you can. Once I did that, I can't complain anymore. It was a lot of work, but as a result I had really memorable full length races. Even in DTM 2014 class.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ocaso Dorado

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Know your favorite rivals...:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Best explaination I've read yet. ^^^^ If this is true - it would have relieved all the frustration if it was explained this way to begin with.

But there is a disproportionate reaction to just "simple touch". I can bang into them mid-corner and they hardly wiggle. Sometimes, I don't feel anything and spin, then watch video and realize we barely touched.
    See video in video section (pg 13, Mini ADAC GT,)
    My first spin, didn't feel anything. Video shows we touched tires
    2nd spin, tapped from behind - car unsettled, and then hit me again.

As for training AI - Some tracks they are running at or near leaderboard times through my training. The AI is better, the faster they drive. I have found the best way to train AI is to qualify Pole Position and drive a boring race so they don't get the opportunity to hit you. After a couple races, they run very close to your pace. Then - all the fun begins.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The Iron Wolf

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I personally did not have luck with Adaptive AI and select difficulty by hand, and other people on the thread mentioned it. But. I am glad this works for you :)

15. Ocaso Dorado

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Not sure where the video is... if you have a link to take me there straight would be cool...

16. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/raceroom-racing-experience-videos.39/page-13

near bottom of page title - "Raceroom Racing Experience MOD Mini ADAC GT"
    I only made this video for fun.
    But was still surprised when I spun. And was surprised when I was hit from behind twice going around a corner.
    In multi-car shots, you can see AI braking for no reason.....which is going to be changed in this next patch.

17. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    The AI has made a nice progress and I am taking revenge for the gazillion taps they gave me :)

18. Ocaso Dorado

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's what I mean check this out...

Incident between Audis minute 10:24
    Looks less real the incident in minute 5:41 with Porche (Porche rodeo) :tearsofjoy:

In conclusion... avoid contact with cars, specially with AI

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Azfalt Raser

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    omg I'm in love! If only I spoke french. What is her name?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Ocaso Dorado

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Whose name? lol :anguished: