R3E HUD Manager

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by ChatCureuil, Dec 3, 2017.

1. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. :)
    I think of adding some information when the user do something not actually supported by R3E, to make things less confusing. Like displaying the placeholder in red color with a tooltip explaining what is not supported.

And for the FFB, does it always have this large aspect ratio in triple screen, even when placed on center screen?

2. WozzaUK

WozzaUK Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    OK at the moment I am getting nothing.

I've installed the software and it works fine. I've created a profile, named it, dragged the Motec display to where I want it and I've clicked 'Apply to R3E'.

When I start RaceRoom everything is still in the default position.

If I open the software again it has remembered the position I placed Motec so that part is definitely working.

I've noticed if I click the gear wheel and select <open hud directory> there is only the original 'hud_options.xml'. There is no backup file like it says in the instructions. So maybe nothing is being saved to the game for some reason?

Is there something I might have missed?

Also, should I close the software each time or keep it running?

Thanks. :p

3. WozzaUK

WozzaUK Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Ignore me I hadn't set a button for 'Toggle Speed Cluster' in the options. Now that's done I can see it!

Thanks, this is awesome! :p

• Like Like x 1
  4. Eric Statkevicus

Eric Statkevicus New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi ChatCureuil.

Some interesting things. When I set R3E to use the default xml, the FFB meter is pinned to the left screen, as shown in a screenshot I posted a few threads above (I don't use FFBmeter, so I never noticed it wasn't on the middle screen). When I put the FFB meter to the right screen, it doesn't show at all (even when I toggle with keyboard shortcut). When I put it to the left screen, it appears, but not in the spot I expected based on your app. I saved the XML files generated by your app, then looked at the same files after exiting R3E, and SURPRISE!!!, they're different. The Y values generally stay the same, but not X. It seems like R3E might be doing some validation on the widgets position prior to rendering (or exiting), and changing to default if there is a value it considers out of bounds. I also noticed it changes any values you write without a decimal to the same value, with decimal. Seems like you have a greater precision when you store values as well, R3E truncates/rounds to 6 decimals.

I've attached a bunch of files, hopefully they are pretty self explanatory what they are.

Attached Files:

5. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    It is in the "application data directory". ;) All user data are stored here.

@Eric Statkevicus Thanks. Yes R3E overwrites the file regularly when running, and it formats the values. After closing the game (or when running) you can "reload from R3E" and see what it changed. :)

So to resume the behavior of this FFB, it seems when using 3 screens we can only place it on left screen, only change Y position, it is also x3 larger, when in single screen we can place it where we want. ^^

6. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Update 0.5.0.x is out! :eek:

• Layout validation
    Since Raceroom doesn't support every thing we can do with the hud_options.xml file, it happens we are surprised by the in-game result. This is especially the case with a triple screen layout.

I want the app to be as much WYSIWYG as possible so I thought a layout validation system was a mandatory feature.

That's why R3E HUD Manager now integrates some of the Raceroom HUD rules to inform you when your layout is going to be different in game.
    And it doesn't just warn you, it also suggests you to apply the proper fix. :)

You'll find this especially useful when trying to put placeholders on left or right screen.

screen04.jpg

Next update will come with an experimental layout auto-fix feature. :)
    • Save status
    R3E HUD Manager now displays in italic stuff that contains unsaved changes. Stuff can be a profile, and/or your Raceroom HUD, they're considered like 2 different things (you can save a profile without to apply it to your current HUD and vice versa).

Application will also warn you if you have unsaved changes before to load a new layout or when exiting.

Maybe you'll find that's too much questions, but you can disable each message, and enable it later in settings. I prefer to let you the choice. :)

• Placeholders are now displayed without decoration when nothing is selected, to give a preview of what you should see in-game.
    • At startup application loads the last profile applied to your Raceroom HUD. If no profile is found it loads the current layout with default background.
    • It's not possible anymore to drag & drop a placeholder outside of the screen.
    • When switching background from triple screen to single, application prompt you what to do with placeholders located outside of center screen.
    • Mouse wheel on numeric up/down controls is faster.
    • Mouse wheel works on screen buttons (L, C, R).
    • FFB Graph is 3 times larger in triple screen than in single, to render it like Raceroom.
    • Displays on bottom right the current layout source (R3E, Backup, Profile, and from which R3E directory if you have severals -beta testers-).
    • It's now possible to choose which placeholders are filtered when loading a layout. By default all placeholders not taken into account by Raceroom are filtered.
    • Added a settings panel (including prompt options).
    • If you can't use the numeric keypad to type dots in numeric up/down components, you can change the "culture" option in settings.
    • I wanted to add a short documentation that can be read in one minute, it is integrated in the app and you have to watch it at least one time of it will pop forever (that's longer than Soon™, or almost).
    • And like usual, various bug fixes and improvements... :)

Thanks to @Eric Statkevicus for his feedback on triple screen layout.
    If you see some elements not displayed in Raceroom like they are in the HUD Manager, please let me know so I'll add a layout validation rule.
    This rules are probably not perfect yet. If you want to play with, the xml file is located in the directory applicationInstallDir/_r3eRules/r3e_support_rules.xml. But do a copy of your changes cause actually each update will rewrite the file.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  7. Shivas FR

Shivas FR Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    A peine essayé, déjà adopté ^^. Penses-tu que dans un avenir plus ou moins proche, il sera possible de choisir le type de motec affiché dans ton manager (pas modifier le motec en jeu)? J'aimerai pouvoir faire coller le Motec Virtuel à la parfaite position du Motec de la voiture. Et quoi de plus simple que de déplacer le vituel pour le faire coller à la perfection ^^

Just Try and already adopted. Did you think, in a more or less futur, we can choose the Motec Type to display in your Manager (not changing the motec in game) ? I would like to place the virtual motec at the exact same place than the one in the car. Nothing more easy to move the virtual one to perfectly match it ^^

• Like Like x 1
  8. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Salut :). J'ai ça en tête oui, surtout avec ce magnifique compteur qui accompagne la Porsche GT4, et c'est facile à ajouter en plus. :)

Yes, some other Motec will be added.

• Like Like x 1
  9. axxis278

axxis278 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    very nice update
    no, it's always been this size and place on triple screen ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. :) Yes it was probably a bit frustrating to build a triple screen HUD before this update.

11. Jempy

Jempy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Very nice idea ... this app will be a "must have" I'm sure ! ;)
    1st message here ... and you really deserve it.

I just discovered and tested it yesterday night ... approved and adopted for good !
    With single screen 24" ... we surely need it !

Thanks for your work and sharing.

NB: j'en aurai bien besoin mercredi chez RFRO ! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Which values are right now ready to move? Because i have some annoying things like the Pitwindow etc

13. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Virtual Mirror (X axis)
    MoTeC (not the mini one)
    Track Map
    Position Bar
    FFB Graph

14. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    @Tarik Userli If you display all available placeholders, application actually shows yellow warnings for those not taken into account by R3E.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  15. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully its possible to add stuff like the pitwindow, laps during race, game messages in general ;)

Ok, nevermind...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  16. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I've reported a list of things not working or missing here. If the list is incomplete, feel free to answer the topic and I'll add it in the OP to make things more consistent. :)

17. Tibmonty

Tibmonty New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Really hate to be a pain. Just checking. New installation of Avast free, still running on default settings, blocks the app download from your URL. Some blarb about an infected file and isolates it. Should I add your URL to the Web Shield exclusions list in order to get the download? I did have your app running last week but have since formatted and reinstalled my OS and am busy reinstalling apps. Is this the same as Windows prompt about untrusted blah blah ? Thanks for your help.

18. Tibmonty

Tibmonty New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    And could our Avatars ever be so coincidentally paradoxical and funny? Thats my Jack Russel when having his back scratched. Redeye Jack Russel style :D

19. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Can you see what file Avast is blocking ?

My avatar is from a lone cat who was visiting me years ago. ;)

You can exclude Url in Avast, it's my server so it's safe.

No, the untrusted blah blah is cause I should buy a certificate, something like 150 $/year to remove this warning. I'm not really enthusiast about this. :D I've already searched a solution for this, and my last idea is that I should make the app standalone (a single zip that you uncompress to a folder without installation, autoupdate should still work but I suppose I have to code it myself or use a third-party library). I'm new to Windows development, C#, auto-update..., so at first time I chose the easiest way to release the app. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  20. ChatCureuil

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Update 0.6.0.x

I said I planned to release an "auto layout validation" feature at next update but finally the plan has changed since.
    This update doesn't contain new feature but is built with a development framework newer than the previous one (WPF instead of Windows Forms).

For me it allows to write cleaner code for user interface, with components that works fine with less effort, and I also learned something new. :)
    From a user point of view you could notice that images are drawn with more precision and better performances (use of GPU), with some transparency, and that components design has tiny differences.

I wanted to make this step before to code any new feature, cause the "conversion" to the new framework implied to rewrite an important part of the code.

Please let me know if you find any problem with this update.

Next update should add some MoTec images that will be associated with a profile.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018