Traction control. Do you use it? What are your settings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GregoryLeo, Nov 16, 2015.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I am running the full simulation with everything switched on, ie. Mechanical damage, tire wear... And as I and the adaptive AI have improved, tire wear has become something of an issue. Especially when on tracks like Laguna Seca and Zolder just to name a couple that seem brutal on tires (To me at least). I'm always pushing my edge so after about 15 minutes in a 30 minute or longer race, the tires start to go away. Enter the use of traction control. I've found it to be very useful in maintaining control of the car. GT1 and GT2 take on a whole different attitude with a little TC. I personally felt it was cheating until one day I was watching an FIA GT race and the TC went out on one of the cars, and the driver was have a real hard time keeping it on the track. When asked, he said these cars are designed to be driven with TC and not easy to drive without it.
    So I figured if it works for them then I can use it too.
    Anyway, I've got my traction control at level 1 is zero and then stepping up in 20% increments. I have yet to need more than 40% TC so I'm considering readjusting it to fit 0 to 40% range.
    I've been at my current settings of 0 thru 99% for a while now and wondering if tighter settings would be better.
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i like being sideways so no. but i don't care about winning that much ether.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yes, well, about winning. I have yet to win any of the custom championships I've made although I have won some races:laughing: Right now after 8 of 12 rounds in gt2 I'm in 3rd:tonguewink:. And my best finish in at the end of the DTM championships is 6th:D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  4. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    When my tires start to go I tend to step it to 20 but that's as I'll go

-its a rare sight that I race more than the 8 minute length though

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  5. oppolo

oppolo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    When avaible I use max 40%

• Like Like x 2
  6. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    For me its between 25 and 50% and rarely at 75%.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    With the 'older' model cars I tend to use anywhere between 0% and 40%. With the 'new' system (GT3 updated cars as a prime example) I tend to use 0 - 12/15%. Mostly depends on the car, initial setup, and how safe I can make the back end with suspension and ARB changes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
  9. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    in agt talking to the drivers about how much traction they use shane van gisbergen and many of the other professional drivers said he ran no traction controll but some of the am drivers run it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I found that kind of interesting. I remember one of the drivers R3E did a livestream with (I forget which) also saying that it depended on the track. On tracks where it's a lot of stopping and accelerating in straight lines like Monza, they keep it off because it can slow them down. On more sweepy tracks though, some drivers use it and it's faster that way.

With that in mind I messed around with it a little, and I think it's nice to have a little peace of mind when you're driving in traffic and want to be sure you don't do anything terrible and cause a pile up. I used to just put it on zero and forget about it, but it's good to being able to adjust mid-race depending on the situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  11. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    i am the same i have the + and - buttons on my dfgt mapped to traction when i am driving behind other drivers i tend to turn it on 1 or 2 clicks but when i am hot lapping/ pushing or just having fun i am pretty quick to turn it off.

• Like Like x 1
  12. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yep, using it as well.
    I always set the car with 0-10-20-30-40 % and I use the most 0, 10 or 20 depending of the conditions.
    For example at the beginning of a race I put it ON (10 or 20) because of cold tires, and don't want to spin while in the pack.
    When I feel confident enough about the car I cut it OFF, but I may use it again while tire wears off at the end of the race.
    I have a rotary button to manage it on the fly (as brake bias)

With the new GTR3/ADAC car setups I leave the TC setup by default (0%-9%...).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Max

Max Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I uesd 3%-5%. But i like a littel wheelspin for overstreering at the mittel of a conner.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GregoryLeo

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Cool thanks for info everybody. I have found that as why485 said it helps on some track and not on others. I only recently noticed that on some cars like the mclaren have the default TC set at 9% As the lowest setting. And the bmw GT2 has it at 25% if I'm not mistaken. So I started playing with it to try and get better lap times. Now before I go out on the track with any car. I check the TC and if it's available, I set stage 1 to 0.

15. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    Yep
    From last update of the GTR3/ADAC cars they did a new default setup for these cars, based on the feedback of the real drivers.
    GT2 don't have yet this kind of update.
    That's why.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    with FRX17 i have 75% :)