Released PORSCHE DLC#1

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Dec 21, 2017.

1. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    I agree R3E does a good job.What about fast bump-rebound, travel range, bumpstop, tyre pressure, engine mapping?

2. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    Everything what I do is very exciting, my dear Barbie. Mr. Surprise is my middle name ;) ... :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. S-AMG

S-AMG Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0

Hi Anthony Why excuse? I do not understand why you should change a few things, you have to record the sounds directly in the cars to be closer to reality, so why change? your work is fabulous, so do not apologize and change anything, much criticism but many have never put their butt in a racing car !! thanks for everything you do, sorry for my english i do with google Trad

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your support S-AMG :)
    While I totally agree with you, above a certain number of complains, I need to read and try to hear what the players express, it's part of my job and also one cannot be right all the time, you can make mistakes, forget things etc.
    I never claimed that my sounds are perfect, quite the opposite actually, and it's my aim to improve my work.
    Notices, critics, complains, all this can help to identify what's wrong and fix the potential problems.;)

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. S-AMG

S-AMG Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    it must not be easy to hear after all these hard work, I'm sorry for you :(

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    One thing I can guarantee is fully synthetic made my Aprilia clutch slip, maybe that's the sound they're after! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You have to keep in mind that (no offence to anyone here specifically) most of the people asking for changes in general (not just this specific case) are keyboard warriors who've never driven a real race car and only base their preferences on YouTube videos, which, as you've mentioned, obviously don't replicate the real sounds from recordings.

At the end of the day everyone has their own personal preference and you can't please everyone at once. Sure, you should take people's comments into account because they are the ones paying your salaries but just because there are 10 people here that say that this sound or that sound is "wrong" doesn't mean that it actually is. There are thousands of people out there who think that the same sounds are just fine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. Arrowheadrocker

Arrowheadrocker New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @Anthony
    If you are responsible for the sounds... a big respect from my side as this is one of the main reasons I use Raceroom. Also, the visuals in VR are very good compaired to AC, rFactor2 and even Pcars 2 (last 2 bought today on the current winter sale).

But speaking about sounds: will S3 make the sounds positional like Project cars?

9. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It can be retrofitted. That's something else than an option. It isn't an option. With other words, there isn't a single 911 GT3 Cup car that leaves the factory with an ABS system. It can be retrofitted when it's allowed by regulations where ABS isn't prohibited. And at that point it is very questionable practice to have a standard enabled ABS equipped 911 GT3 Cup car in a sim while in reality it isn't equipped with it when it leaves the factory.
    Totally up to the real world regulations. In a few cases it is indeed lacking, but in most cases it isn't. But the problem imho is also that with too much possible settings you drift away from a racing simulation game to an engineering simulation game. Because when you want to do a really good setup for any type of circuit, you already have to have a proper base setup for a circuit, and from there on build to a setup where you get everything out of the car in it's circumstances. And those circumstances are the most difficult to simulate. Because any change in humidity and temperature effects a cars behaviour when driven on the limit. And for every car, even same make and type, can behave differently.

It's a thing real world racing drivers will always tell you. To have a car under your butt in real life, or in sim is just very different. In sim it won't be truly effected by climate. While on track in real life it's another story. And that's why I think it's stupid to try to mimic on such a micro level where it's just a to unknown territory and too difficult to objectively measure for each car. Because you really have to feel it, and you have to measure it continually. And to be effective with that, you really have to be as consistent as the best drivers around. Besides that all those real tiny environmental changes are hard to really simulate. If you really want it to that level, I guess you have to go with rFactor Pro. ;)

10. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    it's not about "wrong" sounds.. just some refinements and additions here and there to fill the spectrum of noises in a race car. This should only be seen as constructive critic and not irrational complaints. And there's nothing bad in aiming for perfection.

We all know that Raceroom is already leaps ahead of the competition with the sound.. but at one point the competition will catch up, so you always have to be one step ahead.

In pcars2 development when they announced super realistic and stunning sounds because new sound engine etc I already feared that pcars2 will be soundking after that. But then it was just a "Rohrkrepierer", how we call it in germany.. (nonstarter, flop)

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  11. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    in general, I agree with you. but in lack of important basic settings for a racing car. not the nuances of which you write.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    AС offers a more flexible approach. And you can always turn it off. The AС has a simulation of the ABS and the level setting (as in real for GT3)

• Like Like x 1
  13. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I like where this is going ;)

I'm also a big fan of transmission whine, especially the straight cut gears of the Cup, but it does feel like its missing something from Raceroom's usually epic sound. Since I don't race Cup Cars in real life, realistic to me is based on what I hear from the on-board shots. I think AMS or Rf2 had a flat 6 mod that had a sound I preferred, but its really neat to hear what we are hearing is taken directly from recordings at Paul Ricard!

14. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    In Monteil I trust.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    For the Italian Carrera Cup, ABS - obligatory condition. "Quest’anno l’impianto di frenta è supportato dal Kit ABS Bosch Motorsport che tutte le vetture iscritte dovranno utilizzare obbligatoriamente" ;)

16. Ami_M3

Ami_M3 Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Leaps and bounds ahead? I'm not too sure I agree. I may be in the minority, but I know there are others who feel the same. While I love the sounds coming from R3E cars, I don't think they are any better than AMS for example. In fact, I much prefer Porsche (Boxer Cup) sounds from AMS to new Porsche DLC from Sector3. Transmission whine somehow has better freqs in AMS.
    This is subjective, but calling R3E leaps and bounds ahead of competition in terms of sound may be a little unfair

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Having played AMS and just about every other sim except PC2, i'm in the "leaps and bounds ahead" club. Not only the engine sounds themselves, which are top notch, but the level of refinement is really what sets it apart. Other games have similar sounds like rock chips, bumps, etc, but often they are immersion breakers due to lacking refinement...in R3E everything i hear is locked in, perfect timing, etc....i'm not explaining myself that well but suffice to say the immersion factor with R3E sets it apart, especially with the volume cranked.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    The sound in PC2 of it, keeps me away from playing the Porsche. Same on the Martin GT3. This 2 sound really bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think this goes to show that everything is very subjective in this world. I'm with @Ami_M3 on this one - I don't think sounds are bad but they're not the best ones either. And, frankly, when it comes to GT3 cars, I'm surprised anyone would say R3R sounds better than PC2.

To me, every GT3 car in Project Cars 2 has a character - I can tell which car it is by just listening to it. Porsche has this smooth, pleasing sound, Ferrari this very characteristic roar, Merc - the rumble, etc. In R3R if you drove all cars past me, I probably wouldn't be able to tell which one's which.

Cockpit sounds is one gripe I have with R3R - they all sound same-ish to me. Yes, certain cars have a character, e.g. Porsche is very different from the new Corvette, but jump into the old Corvette or Mercedes and they suddenly sound like vacuum cleaners. Just constant "zzzzzzzZZZzzzz".

Haven't played too much Assetto Corsa but one thing I've noticed there is that if you drive in the cockpit view and a car passes you, the sound echoeing from their exhaust is absolutely spine tingling! No other game replicates that moment as good as AC does. In my view, yet again.

With all that, R3R is what I find myself playing the most because it feels the most realistic to me when it comes to the overall feel - AI, physics, etc. I love them all, just each in their own way and for different reasons.

20. Arrowheadrocker

Arrowheadrocker New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I just bought PC2 with discount, mostly for the Rally content and some rain ( I'm Dutch so am used to this wheather :rolleyes:) but sounds are not very good with most of the cars. In the Porsches it's nice that you can hear the engine from behind on a surround headphone. Here the whine level is much lower btw. In AC I use some modded sounds that are quite good but original sounds are hit or miss.

Raceroom is really upfront in this field imo although the Porsches will not be my favorites soundwise unfortunately. But listen to the BMW GT2, the Zakspeed, x17 or the M1 (just to name a few) and it's awesome!

Edit: not to forget the DTM series :cool:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017