I'm struggling to pull off a manual pitstop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lanius1984, Feb 27, 2017.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Pretty sure alot of those are checkered...so youre telling me im actually winning alot more often than i thought?? Heck, even multiple times per race!!

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It's like a paƱolada in Spanish football, their way of asking you to stop a dreadful performance. :p
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Just to pop an update on this - My sporadic play time on this game just doesn't allow me to get to grips with full manual pit stops. It is one level of complexity above what I'm willing to learn simply to enjoy some sim driving.

This has now put me off playing the game entirely... it baffles me that I cannot choose to play a game I've purchased with my preferred simulation physics, without the need to be a multitasking genius.

When I bought the game, it was based on my enjoyment of the underlying driving feel from the 'get real' physics option. I was able to do this without the need to worry too much about the options around the driving.

The previous comments about this being more realistic don't sit well with me... many real life drivers don't get involved with strategy, and often just follow instructions on when to pit and what changes will be made. They most certainly aren't often needing to press many button combos to achieve these decisions while also driving their car. I play driving simulators for the driving primarily, and while I enjoy the motorsports surrounding the driving experience, I don't want to be bogged down by this.

I really don't understand why these changes have been implemented without the option to choose whether you use it. I play single player against AI, so I really don't care about 'fairness' in online leaderboards etc (and even here, honestly just having 'enforced' rulesets for entry is the very obvious solution to maintain fairness). Every other game allows me to customise my experience. The lack of this option is just not good enough here.

I am unwilling to choose a driving model with unrealistic assists just to bypass an unnecessary feature that some people like having in the game.

I guess for now I'll be sticking with Assetto Corsa and Project Cars as they are fundamentally more open with customisation. I do feel annoyed that I've invested money in a product that I can no longer enjoy/consume in the same way. Ongoing development and feature additions are usually a great things, and I commend the team for doing this - however they should never be added in such a 'bullish' way.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    @Lanius1984,
    go to single event/championship and choose custom ruleset. No need of mandatory pitstops. You are free to set up the race you want. Flagrules yes/no, penalties kinda/yes/no.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    lightweight......

you cant drive in a straight line at less than 80kph and hit a few buttons , i really hope you dont have a real driving licence ...
    sorry if this sounds a bit off , but i get vety bored with the fix this or ill play another game ,....

the door is to the left

Andi

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I probably could, given the time to familiarise myself with the buttons, but I don't want to waste my time doing that.

Why apologise after being rude? People like you need to find a better way to assert your 'authority'. Honestly, your post in reaction to mine comes across as very immature.

That isn't what I said... take the time to re-read. I said I'm going to stick with games that give me more of what I want... for now. I made no demands, simply pointed out some frustrations.
    If people didn't point out things they dislike, changes for the positive would be less guided. My feedback is a legitimate concern over the development process that is in place. And I would like my feedback to be considered for future updates to avoid others being disappointed if the game takes away something they are used to having, and perhaps so that I can come back to the game at a later point and enjoy it on my terms again.

And who are you to be waving your high and mighty stance about? I get sick of people like you who assume everyone must conform to your beliefs or get out. This is a forum with many different views, and it's not often I come across an unsavoury like you that makes me think I'm reading the toxic Project Cars forums.

Appropriate avatar dude.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Lanius1984

Lanius1984 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I guess taking pit stops out of the mix is an option. I've got the 'experiences' like DTM that have mandatory rulesets for stops and it's here that I fall down. These have been my 'go-to' modes, but I've not been able to continue with it since the manual stop update.
    I have set everything up to work, but honestly I tend to do just an hour or two at a time, with 2-3 week gaps (that can extend to 2-3 months) in sessions at times, so I just can't commit the mappings to memory.
    A lot of the frustration I have is avoidable, it's just annoying when an update doesn't seem to be the most positive. Of course, others probably feel the opposite to me and love the extra 'realism'. I can understand that too. Choice is really what I'm highlighting would be nice to have.

The reality is that I probably just don't have the time to commit the the game to get the most out of it.

8. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I think the issue is related to the forced selection of the options (fuel, tires, etc.). Yes, it seems VERY easy to those that race R3E as their primary sim but maybe not to the occasional and newbe racers. Of course the idea is to "select" (highlighted green) an option otherwise nothing happens (confusion to some). So, select one or more, increase/decrease, then select confirm (more steps if a preset is expected to be used).
    What about this being reversed. If a preset is selected all that's required is to pit. If the defaults of the preset are not needed or wanted THEN you deselect and confirm. Just a thought as I know there are quite a few that have issues with the R3E pitstop functionality. Maybe making it easier for the newbe's is the ticket :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I dont disagree with your retorts...you probably hit a forum nerve when you said "ill just go play xxxx instead" which is reasonable but always comes off a bit uppity.

I take the stance more that i really just need to put in the 30 minutes to familiarize myself better, which i have, and the results are usually rewarding. Would be nice to have the option, but at this point id probably keep manual pitting on for the challenge....its fun trying to get in a good pit stop when in a battle with another racer. In fairness it is fairly basic once you understand how it works, and satisfying when you get it right.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Exactly.
    I take it as an unspoken agreement (with the whole universe) that if I don't like the service someplace, I will take my business elsewhere.
    "What is understood, need not be discussed" - David Lee Roth. ( )

I HATE forced pitstops - in real life and games. I tried to do one on R3E last night for the first time and failed dismally. Yes, I will have to read how to do it (answers already in this thread) but Racing in R3E is so much more fun than working out how to pit.
    I prefer to have multiple shorter races, so pitting is not a problem for me (Also better for getting the AAI just right!), but even if I wanted longer races, there are options for that.
    If Sector3 were to make it easier (Automatic) that would be great.
    But if they don't, and it becomes a problem for me, I'll just have to get to grips with it.
    I mean, how hard can it be?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I am just watching blancpain gt3 at monza, i think on the bentley, they have the pit button instructions written on the dash!!!

Left= yes
    Right=no
    Red button = request pit

...or something like that....so even real racers need help remembering this stuff.

Heres i pic

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Probably more to do with a loss of radio comms so that the driver can respond to pit board.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Gotcha, that makes perfect sense now that you mention it...either way, i found it interesting to see notes posted in the cabin for the driver...do what you need to do to remember whatever you need to.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Cypher

Cypher Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know I'm resurrecting an old thread but it's ridiculous that I have to Google and do a forum search just to understand how confirming pitstops work! Took me several attempts to realise that turning something into green actually means confirming that specific change. I thought it meant it's currently in edit mode and that's when I have to change the setting and click again to confirm. No wonder I couldn't confirm my pitstops after "confirming" the changes and turning entries from green to white...

That's one heck of a bad UX there...

15. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree, pitstops in R3E aren't the most user friendly. I've seen many say its easy and that they don't understand what the problem is. I'm sure if you race R3E regularly it may make sense, but for those that split their time between a number of other sims it isn't intuitive.
    To me, it shouldn't be hard to make the default action a single button. If I've created pit strategies ahead of time I should be able to use them effortlessly. IRL the driver doesn't have to remember a sequence of events to initiate during their pitstop. Just saying.
    This has been discussed many times, it must mean the current methods are not ideal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I agree that pit stop in R3E has not the best ergonomics, but with just a bit of training, and by choosing the correct pit function, it works better.
    There are two options to request a pit, one needs to let the pit menu opened and requests more clicks when entering pit lane ("Pit Request toggle"), and the other one that I find better ("Pit Menu Toggle").

Also, after doing several league races, I found I don't need to prepare my pit stops in advance, I even don't need to calculate fuel consumption when at least one pit stop is necessary, I just use the fuel preset "Normal". I prepare the menu some laps in advance, validate it, and then I wait for the good moment to stop.

With a bit of training you need a maximum of 5 seconds to request your pit stop and it's always the same procedure.
    There's also more complicated ways, turning off the engine manually, preparing a custom preset... but I'm not interested with this. :)

My pit stop lazy strategy for every race at 0:30 (it was a video to test if a penalty cancels a pit stop)... EDIT: here I'm not selecting the "Normal" fuel preset but that's what I do usually, it's one more click on right button on fuel line.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  17. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I had a hard time with pitting too until I learned the trick.
    Set the preset in the menu and do not use a pit request. set one regular button for "pit confirm" that is not on a mini-joystick or 4 way pad. Just drive into the pit and the the window will pop up on it's own at the speed limit line. Press the confirm one time only at the box and it's done.

Also, do not assign a starter button and it will not require one, even when set to manual.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
  19. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This is true and a very good tip.
    Although this method works the way you describe, it has a downside: You will lose some seconds (around 4 iirc) because the pit crew will need that time to prepare for your pitstop. The idea is that they can prepare for your stop if you announce/request it, which they can't if you just enter the pits without giving them a heads up. So requesting pitstops can save you some time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I remember when I decided to run my first race with a mandatory pitstop in order to make the experience even more real. It was a complete disaster, even though I made a try in a practice session. So in the quite competetive AI race I entered the pitstop lane hoping to leave it asap. Unfortunately I got stuck there for waay more time that I should, just because of the problems with confirmation of the settings. And what's more, in the hassle I didn't green the fuel option which resulted the crew not fuelling my car at all, which clearly ended up not finishing the race.

What seems to be the problem in R3E is, as others mentioned before, too much confirming. Being familiar with rFactor 1 pitstoping, I expected it to work the same in R3E. Just choosing the right options using side arrows and stopping in the proper pit. I really wouldn't want any dumbing down regarding the pitstoping. Just making it more ergonomic :)

• Like Like x 1