The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    By the comunity demanded features like rain or day-night changes cannot be implemented into to current engine iirc also some mp-features.
    Maybe also the cow is milked?;)
    Maybe it's just time to move on.

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Because the whole long posting by Marco breathes the scent of remembrance and saying Farewell. Not to doing racing games, but AC1. Usually they announced their newly aquired licenses and plans quite some time in advance of releases, but new stuff has not been announced since quite a long time by now. Marco said that the old technology they use has found its limits, and that it is time to start with new tech development - and that they actually already had done research on that over this year. And we know for sure that certain features cannot be done with the old engine. And finally, Kunos almost always stuck to their plans and timetable, from Early Access on, the only "flaws" were the delay of Laguna Seca, and the terribly slow development of the AI. And Marco has announced already in the first years of AC that they plan to support AC until 2018.

And the last DLC, which is quite substantial in content, has been given away for free again.

All this is no explicit wording of "We stop it now". But as an implication of Marco's adress, you hardly can deny the message.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  3. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I think that is unfair. Their pricing policy has been so ridiculously customer friendly and I spend so little money on all content, that I sometimes was tempted to ask their competence as business men. Anbd several DLCs were FREE - each of them containing more than what you get in other sims for a money.

4. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Twinky tells the truth.
    No bad feelings about Kunos.

5. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    I think after the Porsche "DLC#1" with 4 EUR per Car ( [​IMG]), nobody should talk about milking on this board, referring to other sims.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yes and no.
    No, because R3E is still in development, while AC1 is done. So, you will need to pay the whole base game again in the future, (I think that's what @fischhaltefolie meant). The basic version of R3E is free. You don't have the last cars and a lot of tracks, but you can play the whole game (I mean with that single events, multiplayer, leaderboard challenges).
    Yes, it's expensive but you're not obliged to pay it. You can still use other GTR3 cars and race against them in multiplayer for example.

7. fischhaltefolie

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, maybe that was the wrong idiom and I used it with ;) to underline it wasn't meant too seriously.
    Every company has to make profit to pay their duties. At a certain point you have to make a decision and you have to set the course for the future.
    In which direction this will point is the decision of the entrepreneur.
    One does a new approach, the other tries to evolute what is there.
    In the end the company has to survive.
    That's all from my side, nothing bad. You always have the choice of leaving or participating.

8. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but you're right.
    Every DLC is basically milking the cow, in my opinion (with the option of leaving or participating, like you said).

9. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The release of a game already is milking the cow, by that logic.

"Pay to win" - that is milking the cow.

Later addons that were not advertised as content for the core game, are just that: later addons. New works, new stuff. Your choice. But nobody should expect a producer working for free. There is no claim to be made to get free stuff forever, endlessly, for free.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. APC900

APC900 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Nobody should ever accuse the guys at Kunos Simulazioni of 'milking' anything.
    They've been more than fair with their pricing and content.
    They, together with Reiza Studios are in a league of their own in this regard.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    I'm a lazy bastard, so I'll ask here first before I reach for my calculator: does anybody know what FOV angle should I use in AC on a single 24" 1920x1080 monitor, if I want to achieve a similar sense of speed to RaceRoom's default 1.0 FOV setting? I can't feel the car's speed properly with the stock settings in AC and I tend to overdrive the cars because of that.

12. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Knowing a number at the end of a formula does not proivide you a sense of speed, but what your eyes perceive gives you that sense of speed. So use your eyes. That simple. ;)

When i still used a monitor the size of yours, I usually ended up with a FOV number in the range from 50-55, depending on car, but then I also took into account to have a mirror in sight, because I drive AC exclusively from inside cockpit.

Anotherr approach that worked well for me is to set the visual appearance in cockpit the same like what I would get wiht bonnet camera, so that switching between both would not give me any difference in angles regading how I see the landscape and details. Your orientation point here would be the vosual appearance of the bonnet camera.

Finally, if you want one number for all, try to find it from inside the Xbow that has no hindering cockpit. Set FPV so that what you see feels nice for you, then take that number into closed cockpits and see whether it works for you. For me, it does.

These FOV calculations get terribly overestimated, imo. Visual perception and what your brain makes of visual stimuli, is much less objective than people think. ;)

P.S. Note that FOV changes angles on landscape and cockpit, while moving back and forth in cockpit leaves environment angles unchanged. You may want to combine both ways in some cars to get good sense of speed AND viewing options for the mirror(s).

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  13. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    "The field of view (abbreviated FOV) is the extent of the observable game world that is seen on the display at any given moment. A multiplicator of 1 equals a vertical FOV of 58 degrees."

• Like Like x 1
  14. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I have just finished to install "DTM 2017 experience" for Assetto, i have changed car.ini and used R3E values for steering angle and ratio !!!

it's AWESOME !!! i have DTM with Assetto physics, i feel exactly like R3E but with more more detailed FFB !!!
    AWESOME !!!
    Andt the GT3 porsche cup is so far better too in assetto.
    AI is so far better, with 100% aggression AI fight each others everytime, thsi game is AWESOME, how can i play again R3E ?????

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You did - what...?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TonyJ

TonyJ Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  17. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird, what he is talking about is a website that stole the URD DTM 15 paid mod, may have done some updates to the driver names, and then are giving it away for free... while using the DTM logo from RaceRoom... and asking for donations.

Very shady. It has nothing to do with RaceRoom however.

18. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Oh, my fault. I did not know about that URD mod thing. To me it sounded as if he said he installed a Raceroom pack into AC. LOL. And so, I was perplexed.

In other forums, I often knew their policy was to not tolerate discussions of pirated stuff. I could easily imagine this one by Sector3 is not different in its policies on that. Kunos even shut down its complete modding forums due to that, in summer 2016. - Just saying, TonyJ. ;) Please consider to remove your link. I think the management would appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  19. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    They are not giving them away for free though. You need to pay a minimum of 5 euro to get a password since the files are encripted (as is the case for their other mod cars).
    While I'm at it: I bought the (official) URD DTM 2015 about a year ago. Good looking and very detailed, but it's a bit sad they include only fake 'lookalike' liveries. I did find original DTM liveries for it, so I'm good.
    @TonyJ :
    - AC's FFB (though not bad) is not better than R3E's, certainly not more detailed or "AWESOME"
    - AI better ? You must be joking... they are way too slow to begin with...

20. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    *lol* so ridiculous... calling such a crap DTM Experience 2017...

• Agree Agree x 1