Released PORSCHE 911 GT3 Cup (2017)

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Dec 15, 2017.

1. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Where did they say that?

2. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Did you read post #89 from Anthony? Did you listen to the talk and drive video with RD? They say the car was tested by the real life drivers and Porsche engineers.
    For sim drivers, I can only say that RD had a race with 32 drivers last week and we were all doing good laps with the new cars. All 32 drivers were able to use the brakes, after very small setup changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pfalzdriver

Pfalzdriver Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +85 / 0 / -0
    Morning,

I'm really wondering noone mentioned until now, that the gearing animation is missing. Will that be fixed, S3?

And I have to agree with Eddie. Adjust the brake pressure to your personal preference, mine is 80%, dont miss your braking points and this car is a lot of fun. Challenging though, but fun.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Nice eyes.

If it wasnt already reported, it is now, thanks.

5. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Being back from my vacation, I finally had the chance to drive the new Porsches and the Cup car has easily become my new favourite - great job Sector3!!
    (Btw no problems with the brakes, 82% and 51% bias works fine for me)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Correct, happy people just keep on racing with smiles on their faces, complaints tend to be what is vocalized more often. However, I wouldn't just chalk this up to people complaining because they are curmudgeons...

We know Sector3 took actual sound recordings, but as you said, 99.99% of us do not drive Porsche race cars for a living. So our only idea as to what they sound like in car are in fact from onboard cameras and recordings. Therefore, its not out of this world to imagine that our interpretation of the sound would be that of the recordings.

I don't think we need to make major overhauls or synthetic sounds, perhaps just a tweak to the overlay/mixing levels would make all happy. Until then, I'm loving the Porsches!

7. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Well, in this case, overlaying the current sounds isn't possible and I can't improve what people want to be improved by tweaking the levels. It simply requires some new recordings, which might happen or not happen, depending on many factors that I have no control on for now.;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Ah, in a previous response you alluded to having the transmission whine on top of the engine samples, so I incorrectly assumed these were layered. I'd hate to have you guys go and rerecord it - I'm sure there are other priorities to take precedence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately, the transmission whine is part of the engine samples, so no way to adjust it separately, hence the need for new recordings. ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
  10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Can someone give a hint to the cars setup?
    I have the feeling, that I cannot drive this cat that save as another.
    It goes over the front and don't want to go into curves. I know that's caused by it's limited aero, but what can I do?

11. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    The main reason for Porsche cars being notoriously understeery is their weight distribution, caused by the engine sitting in the rear. (IIrc the Cup car has a weight distribution of around 40:60.) This has the very nice effect of having huge amounts of rear end grip, but it also reduces front end grip. If you watch some real life races it is not uncommon to see the inner front wheel locking up or actually lifting because there's so little weight on it.

There's several ways of tackling this unique characteristic. The first involves driving technique, you simply have to drive those cars differently than front-engined ones. Trail braking is particularly effective in Porsches, because as long as you brake you are shifting weight to the front and thereby increase grip and the willingness of the car to corner.
    Real life Porsche drivers have been quoted to sometimes apply a tiny bit of brake through certain turns, even while already accelerating out of a turn, just to create this effect and make the car turn better.
    If you're interested, check out these vids explaining trail braking and Porsche driving characteristics:
    The second way to deal with this is the car's setup. Porsches are typically sensitive to ride height changes, as the front-to-rear height ratio also influences the weight distribution. So I'd suggest to try raising the rear (and/or lowering the front) height a few millimeters and see how that changes the cornering. Additionally you could experiment with brake bias, because that also influences the weight shift during braking.

Hope this helps a bit. Just always be aware that when driving a Porsche, you're driving an "abnormal" car and you have to treat it accordingly, i.e. change your style.
    Good luck.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    i don't think you can change the ride height. And I'm not sure that applying the brake as you accelerate out of a corner is going to improve your laptimes :p

13. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But still, you can adjust the brake balance a little bit backwards and I also find the default camber values a touch too extreme, but that's a matter of taste.

14. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Bleh, Cup car thread... Nvm, I'll find me hat myself.
    If that enables you to even make the turn at all, why not? ;)

15. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I suppose, if it's a choice between a gravel bath and using the brake on the exit, you may be correct. In all other cases I'm unconvinced :)

16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, there are non-digital persons who are able to apply just a little brake. :p
    It's certainly not sth you want to do all the time, but, as I said,
    and
    I can see that being a viable option.

17. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Nah, you're wrong. And nobody likes you :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Almost had forgotten why I stopped using Crew Chief... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Crew chief is a piece of software, and even that doesn't like you. What was the question again?

20. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Hello, some more setup Tipps, please ;) :p :D xD

• Agree Agree x 1