Ultimate button box

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulinhot, Jan 13, 2018.

1. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a button box for sim racing function controls, basically at the moment I use a DSD button box that uses 4 rotary switches (?), but I basically wanted to add a few more. Many years ago he did a "Trackzilla" button box, but sadly it's no longer made.

What's everyone else using, and what recommendations do you all have ?

2. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    I use a Ignition NB5 box, which has what I need on it in my case only 4 rotary's as well, but they have larger boxes as well, they are a excellent quality, and you will get great service through them as well, spare parts and so on, I wouldn't be supervised they might even do a custom layout if you asked nicely.

http://www.ignitioncontrols.com/default.asp

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Thank you, they look very nice.

4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I use 2 dad button boxes, 50 buttons all up plus 38 on the steering wheel. Its all I need, I don't like using the keyboard at all.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I’ve been working with someone who is sourcing actual buttons/dials from a Porsche gt3 r console. Hopefully he’ll get it up sooner or later.

The dsd button boxes (I own three) are pretty decent, the dash version they make are in my opinion their best - I say this because the other boxes tend to be very large in size but then physically place the buttons and rotary switches too close together. Making it hard in VR or simply finding it while driving quickly. Often they only use 2/3 of the face plate leaving you with a box that is 30% bigger than it needs to be and buttons to close. I wish I could redrill for them.

The dash options in my opinion utilize the space better and mounting is 30 seconds.

I’ve also owned a SRH dash. Great quality, only 1 cable, very nice design, but not enough rotary dials for me.
    FD28A3D3-4D0A-44B8-B142-5E941C66881F.jpeg C55B6047-11C7-4A0C-A3D4-129D089B441C.jpeg 2D836CC4-FC36-464C-AA1A-2B02805831FB.jpeg

NathanW

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  6. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    If we're talking ultimate than srx seems to get close. I don't own it but their custom dashes look great.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. paulinhot

paulinhot Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    These are all great options, and thanks everyone for the great responses. Basically I want to move away from having a keyboard next to me, and move as much as I can onto button boxes, including rotary's. I've been sim racing for a very very long time, and want to step up my system some what, so again thank you for the suggestions.

• Like Like x 2
  8. John Addison

John Addison New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Where did you get those great looking labels?

9. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Don’t want to be presumptuous, but did you mean to reply to F1Aussie or me? I only ask because I don’t think his image has labels of any kind.

Nathan

10. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering the same, did you make them? Mine were pretty basic, done on printer with sticky paper and also some with a label gun.

11. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I made those,. They are vinyl so they can be washed etc..

NathanW

Version_03_full.jpg Version_03_Lower.jpg Version_03_Higher.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  13. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Where i am in the UK thats typical kiddie street slang ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  16. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
  17. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    That link has the decals on that button box and console. There are a variety to actually apply based on your needs or button box layout, but all the decals shown above come with the set. There is a full description of the 120 decals on the link as well. If I’m not answering your question please PM me and I’ll get back to you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. David Rona

David Rona New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    WOW those Ignition boxes are classy looking !

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    There is a way to make your own button box configuration and it is not that hard if you have a fair idea of how you want it.
    Then you get it special designed by you to fit exactly your need... the ultimate button box right ;)
    Here's a list of DIY videos that are so easy to see how he do them and what electronic he use then with little imagination it's easy to change layout to suit your own need. And he have a lot of DIY projects easy to follow and build and yea as I said imagination make it easy to change layout on any of the projects or even combining them to suit yourself. And he is using them in RRRE and seem to work great in most race sims and even a lot of other sim's ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Diy would be my prefered route 100% then again i consider myself fairly able when it comes to these things but if you have fat fingers or are not that technically minded could\would be a nightmare to build.

• Agree Agree x 1