What Steering Lock value to use?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metalogic, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - what steering lock value do people generally use? Mine is currently set to 8, but I think that's a hangover from when I was using a gamepad. I'm now using a T300 wheelbase... Thanks!

2. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    I use automatic lock/rotation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't see any automatic setting for steering lock, though?

4. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    whyt do you mean? The general wheel rotation setting or the lock ratio per car?

First is set to automatic so wheel rotation is whatever the car in the game has.

lock ratio in the car's setup menu I usually have it at 17 for 540° cars. The higher the number, the less you have to turn the wheel to have full lock (useful at macau and other tracks with tight corners). Cars with 720° range will have over 20 then.. etc

5. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    The lock ratio

6. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I usually have to go up 1-3 clicks depending on car and track.

7. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn' it be better just to set all cars at max.. maybe I'm not fully understanding both values.

8. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    I usually have the steering rotation set to 360. (Don't like when the arms stop moving if I keep turning in VR)
    Steering lock around 10, on Macau steering lock at 16-18 to get around the hairpin. :)

9. Sascha Reynders

Sascha Reynders Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    See my post about the relation between steering wheel rotation, steering ratio and steering lock:

steering lock

My preferences have changed a bit since then though: for GT and Touring cars and such, I usually aim for a 15:1 to 18:1 steering ratio. For Prototype and Formula cars (which I hardly ever drive) I prefer a 10:1 to 13:1 steering ratio.
    So basically, I start with my desired steering ratio for a certain car and track, and calculate it's steering lock from there.

10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Everything on standard values because I want to drive a simulation and therefore most car classes uses different settings and they are all at standard in Raceroom.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Yes, why is it possible to change these settings at all? Feels very unrealistic.

12. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Why would it feel unrealistic? It would be simply a matter of changing the steering rack on the car, if regulations would allow it.

What I do find unrealistic are some of R3E's default steering lock settings for (amongst others) the GT3 cars. Take the Corvette Z06 for instance: according to GM's press release (http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/vehicles/corvette-z06/2016.tab1.html) the standard road-going version has a variable steering ratio of 12:1 to 16.4:1. In R3E the GT3 version has a steering lock of 13 degrees for 540 degrees of steering wheel rotation, that's a whopping 20.77:1 steering ratio... I'm having a real hard time believing that the purpose-built race version of a car would have much slower steering than it's road-going counterpart, that just makes no sense at all.

The '92 DTM cars in R3E on the other hand have 30 degrees of steering lock for 900 degrees of steering wheel rotation, which results in a 15:1 steering ratio. Much more realistic if you ask me.

13. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    So that is why have to turn the wheel much more in raceroom compared to AC when driving GT3?

Yes but some people her on the forum admit that they drive all cars with 540 steering wheel rotation, realistic?

14. Sascha Reynders

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -0
    Probably, yes. But since AC has no setup options for steering lock/ratio, it's impossible to verify. But I just took the C7R GTE for a spin on the Nordschleife, and with soft lock enabled (about 450 degrees of rotation) the thing had ridiculously fast steering. Almost too fast for my liking, felt like a 10:1 steering ratio or so.

Realistic ? No, but to each their own I guess. In the end, we're all just "playing games" ;) I personally prefer to keep the steering wheel rotation settings at the automatic defaults set by R3E, because those seem to be rather correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  15. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    because steering ratios can be adjusted via steering rack in real life. for example the F1 cars use a much faster steering for Monaco because they wouldn't make the turns with their normal steering.

16. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I started with F1 sims 20 years ago and they had adjustable steering lock. It seems natural to have the option in individual car settings. Think of adjustable steering lock like rear wing settings. 540/13 is just the default on most cars, you can change it to your own preference at any time, so nothing needs to be changes by the developers. I often bump it to 540/14 myself, but I have gone as low as 12 in an LMP or F1 car. The Macau track would have to be removed from RRE if we didn't have the adjustment.

17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    or powerslide through the hairpin :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what the standard values were, looks like it's set to 8 for everything in my install...

19. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I've found out how to change the settings to the defaults, so will probably just do that for most tracks (not Macau...)

• Like Like x 1
  20. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I just leave it on default. It's problem free this way so I'm happy. Force feedback similar, I made very minor tweaks a few years ago when it was updated, then left it be. My days of "more tweaking than driving" are behind me!

• Like Like x 3