Fuel usage in car setup - why so wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ndwthx1138, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    In the car setup menu, where you adjust fuel levels the game gives you a estimate per lap. The estimate is X gallons = number of laps.

Why is this approximate value off by 2 to 3 times?

Crew Chief gets the value right in 2 laps which is helpful. But any insight on why this value the game gives you is so far off?

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Change to metric units

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    you have to make some valid laps first then it calculates more correctly. When you just jump into a race you only get an approximate value. But when you do some laps in training or qualifying it has some data to calculate with.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Odd, I often do 10 minutes of laps in qualifying and it will still give me values that are over a factor of 2x off.

I really hope it’s not a metric/imperial issue.

Thanks for the response.

5. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    When i look at the estimated laps I see a higher number as when I look at it after doing some laps. Never really had issues with it.

6. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    After 12 laps that were within .3 seconds of each other it returned a number that was 35-40% off. However, Crew Chief reported the correct number +/- 5% after 3 laps. Something is off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I dont think RR calculates the fuel estimate it provides you and adjusts it based on your laps that you run.

It's just a generic estimate that is really, really conservative so you can complete the amount of laps it lists.

Generally, if you do some laps, you should keep track of your fuel use and calculate for yourself to get an exact number... if your race depends on it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DomiGruen

DomiGruen Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Same here. In my opinion, the estimation isn't adjusted after some laps. It is always really, really pessimistic.

9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Which estimate are youg guys actually talking about?
    Maybe there's a little misunderstanding here because of the fact that there's two estimates: one on the car setup menu page (which is very very very conservative) and then there's another one on the data display in the car, on the fuel info page. The second one will gather the actual consumption data over 2 or 3 laps and then update its estimate, which should be somewhat accurate once it's done that (provided you're doing constistent laps without wasting too much fuel by doing doughnuts or stuff like that ;) ). The one on the car setup menu will not adapt to your actual driving data.

• Informative Informative x 6
  10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    That's a very good point there.

I was referring to the one in the car setup, which I should have mentioned.

The one in the data display was a good thing to mention as I didnt think of it. That one does adjust based on your driving as you say.

11. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I have never really found a big difference in lap times for an extra 8 liters of fuel. An extra 30 liters I can feel. Some cars also don't feel planted without a little fuel weight. The Tatuus F4 and some of the Porsche models come to mind.

12. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I d

I’m not so sure I can agree, when I am competitive I find myself battling for hundredths of a second per lap. 5-6 gallons of extra fuel is 35-45 lbs of extra weight and that is easily seen in my lap times.

Regardless, it’s really hard in VR to read the fuel setting on the motec output. I’ll just default to Crew chief and doing my own math before a race. Just seems very odd the “setup car” option gets a failing grade for its math skills.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  13. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Well, calculating the fuel usage and deciding how much you take is a part of the strategy. The game can't predict how your setup and driving style will affect fuel consumption, but it needs to give a number that will guarantee everyone will not run out of fuel.