Looking for advice regarding replacement for Logitech G29

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by everway9, Jan 22, 2018.

1. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    @Matthias Petz

I couldn't download that Wheeltest software you gave me the link for. Unfortunately I'm not a member at iRacing. Thanks though.

Is there a file I could possibly edit within the Logitech software that could make the FFB kick in a little earlier. I'm obviously not going to change any settings on my main PC but I have another system I can use for test purposes so if I mess anything up it wouldn't matter.

Maybe I'm just reading things wrong. It sounded like you said that I could edit a csv file or something which would change the minimum force setting more than what ingame settings can.

I'd probably just mess everything up anyway and destroy my wheel. :D

2. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Sorry.. if you don't mind I have more questions.

I did have rFactor 2 on a PC a few years ago. I really loved it with my old Logitech DFGT. :) Has it been updated for the latest GPU's or is the same as when it was released?

I looked at some Asseto Corsa videos the other day but it looked like an unfinished game. Is it as good as people say it is?

I was thinking of trying iRacing but realised that it's only online. What do you all think is the best recent sim out there that has offline modes?

3. Shenmue_X

Shenmue_X Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  4. Matthias Petz

Matthias Petz Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, changed this link in original post to a page at boxthislap.org, there's already the 1.81 available.
    Here's the link once again: https://boxthislap.org/logitech-g27-wheel-settings/

• Like Like x 1
  5. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  6. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Get the TX300 then, as that works fine with the XBox.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    My opinion is that Race Room is the best overall sim for a combination of online and offline. The physics and tire model are my favorite, having enough grip for door to door racing and enough tire feel to know you are at the limit.
    Number two for me is Automobilista as it also has very good physics and switching between AMS and RRE is like changing car models on the same sim. AMS might also be the best FFB for some wheels, possibly even better than RRE which is very good. AMS also has some very good shifter karts, although it's disappointing that the 125 shifters are limited to confusing "cones at the airport" type tracks. The super trucks, despite being a little goofy, are a lot of fun to race with friends. beware there can be a lot of laughter in Team Speak while racing trucks.Turn down TS if that offends you.
    Both RRE and AMS have issues where the pit controls are too complicated or simply broken.(drive thru penalties) The rest of these sims are exceptionally good, so we live with the pit issues.

Assetto Corsa has good race cars and somewhat greasy road cars. The normal tire model can also snap back really hard at time that seems a bit off to me. Drift mode sucks for drifting, but it's nice to drive with street cars like the Mustang. Too bad that tire mode can't be used while racing street cars. Some cars in RF2 also feel a little greasy for me, so it might not feel as bad to a former RF2 driver. The auto wheel rotation is nice for people with old but popular wheels. On new model wheels it's terrible and must be manually disabled . AC has the best app for traffic that I've ever used,. It's called Heli Corsa. I wish I could use Heli Corsa in RRE, then my life would be perfect.

iracing only gives a Pontiac Solstice and a Mazda MX5 with one road course with a subscription. All other content is pay per track and pay per car. Plan on $300 per year to race the series races. There are some ovals if driving in a circle for an hour is entertaining to you. It's not for me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Matthias Petz

Matthias Petz Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Run 2 hours on my private server with my brother yesterday evening. He‘s on a T300RS with T3PA and H shifter - we also spoke about FFB as we both know the DFGT used by our father. If we were right a T300RS should be much better and easier to setup as a G27 which also would mean that is must be better as a G29/920 because the mechanics inside should be nearly the same. I still hope to be able to compare my G27 to a T300RS, just to know if it would be a worth replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  10. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the really detailed info. :)

11. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'd be really interested to hear your thoughts after you yourself have compared them.

12. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi again everyone. :)

Thanks again to everyone for posting such great advice. I'm now thinking of buying one of those contraptions with a seat and fixings for wheel and pedals. I'll create another thread if you think that would be better but I thought I'd add it on to this one as y'all really friendly and all seem to know what your talking about.

I'm not quite sure what my budgets going to be but if I had to guess I'd say around £100. Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks again. :)

13. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    You basically have 3 options in inexpensive race rigs. I'm on the other side of the pond, so I'll have to guess on price conversions. Don't hate me if I'm off a few Euros.

The two cheapest options in "real" sim rigs are the Playseat Revolution and the F1 seat from newegg.com. I'm guessing around 250 Euros. I am using the Playseat Alcantera version. The seat is a bit firm in places and I can feel the spring a little behind my back. The up side to no padding is that it ships in one box saving a lot on shipping. Add a thin pillow in back and it's good.
    Both of those have a center post. The flex with the single post is minor even with my high end Fanatec wheel. It does have some flex, I just don't notice it in race. Most pedals will loose either the clutch or brake pedal behind the post. My CSL Eite LC pedals were adjustable for width.
    The option without a center post is the GT Omega Art at somewhere around 350 Euros. The standard seat is rated in many reviews as the most comfortable under $800. They also have an upgrade to a true luxury model seat for another 30 euros. I think Inside sim racing did a review on Youtube. All rigs under $1000 need a wooden block under the pedal plate when using a load cell brake, so ignore those comments. Playseat also sells some type of folding lawn chair. I've seen a few reviews and one guy did OK with one. Most went on to a real sim rig.

• Like Like x 1
  14. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Awesome! Thanks for that. I have Amazon Prime so a lot of stuff on there I get free delivery on. However there probably won't be anything decent on there but I'll have a look and maybe post some links to see what you think.

I'm going away for a few days and where I'm going they have no broadband or phone signal. How I'm going to cope without broadband and mobile phone signal I don't know. But as soon as I've had a look I'll post back.

Thanks again. :)

15. everway9

everway9 Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Hi. :)

I had a moment to check on Amazon and found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...omega+g920&dpPl=1&dpID=51rmLf6VWxL&ref=plSrch

It's just a generic one I think. I know it says logitech g920 but I think any wheel with a similar mounting would probably fit. But anyway... mines a g29. It's around £130.00 which is about as much as my budget would allow. But looking at the pictures I get the feeling that it's not very good and maybe a bit flimsy.

If you wouldn't mind taking a look and letting me know what you think... or if theres anything else you can see which would be better for a similar price that'd be great. But I understand if you haven't got time to look.

Many thanks. :)

16. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It looks OK if you don't want a seat. I would look on the GT Omega web site to see if they sell the back half separately. So you can add a proper seat later. Check Youtube for reviews.
    I do understand budgets, but having the seat to wheel distance exactly the same every race was one of my biggest improvements.