Problem Shadow Rendering in OpenVR

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by TopFord, Jan 1, 2018.

1. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There is a problem with rendering the shadows in VR. When you drive the shadows either render right in front of the car and you can watch them pop in, or they disappear as your car gets closer to them (like your car has a big spotlight around it).

If you look behind you, the shadows appear to be rendering correctly (behind you) and it temporarily will fix the ones in front of you until you get to the next section of shadows and then it starts to happen again.

Does anyone know of a fix (reflections and shadow settings are both set to Medium in game)?

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    There is a whole thread about this about 15 down or so.

For me I turn shadows on high and reflections on low. Then hold the look rear button for a few “seconds” in the pits and the problem goes away for the whole track.

3. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have tried that and it only temporary fixes it as it will start again as soon as I get to the next shadow region (was using Spa last night to test it).

4. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bumping because they are still not fixed!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    It does happen far less to me post the default resolution fix that was talked about. Like literally 1/10th of the time.. where before it as 9/10ths.

6. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Can you point me to the post for the fix? I can't find it.

Thanks!

7. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
  8. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    With this trick I can maximise my settings a good bit, but the shadows problem still persists.

9. TopFord

TopFord New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ok, got the shadows working.

You have to turn on mirrors to get the shadows to work correctly. If you turn off the mirrors the shadow bug comes back.
    I also did the 720P thing, but don't know if it had any effect on the shadows.

10. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Odd, I’ve never had mirrors off. Always medium or low. That did not solve my shadow issue. I’m on a nvidia titan (pascal).