Problems with windows 10 update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ron Gerrits, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Ron Gerrits

Ron Gerrits New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    After an update today i had problems with Raceroom, after a search i found out that i didn't own Anderstorp anymore what was very strainge, i had it before and now its gone!!! Anyone the same problem or a solution?

gr Ron

2. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    OMGGGGG!! I think they did a mistake on one of the latest store update, I also had it (didn't bought it tho),, so, I even thought they decide to put them for free content (but didn't see an announcement about it) I should have asked before.

But I don't think is because of the windows update, but from the Racerooom store.

Can we get a clarification on this matter?

"BTW, not that I have intention to get it for free"

3. Ron Gerrits

Ron Gerrits New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Don''t know, i hope, have Monday a race and must train before...

4. JakkeFin

JakkeFin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. gio_vtec

gio_vtec Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +117 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    After Windows 10 Pro updates messed up my PC (jumped into a start-up loop, trying to repair the previous version) I brought it back to the shop. They had no other solution than to do a fresh install with an new up-to-date Win10 Pro version.
    Been busy for a week to get everything to my likings again - interrupted several times a day by Windows updater (despite that every possible box was checked so it would not), I got the same 'loop' problem yesterday. Again PC does not start up.
    I was very close to do a repair with a sledgehammer... :mad::mad::mad:
    Bringing it back to the shop to have Win 7 Pro installed again (following the shops advice, as they say Win10 is the worst OS ever made)...

7. William Wester

William Wester Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Not even close to the worst OS ever... maybe it's your shop that's the problem :confused:. Blaming on the OS seems fishy.

I've had many computers updated (35-40) or purchased with Windows 10 (15-20). In all my years in IT (30 yrs)) I've had probably the least amount of OS problems with Windows 10. Granted, most of my experience stated above as in a business environment, not for gaming. Personally (home gaming) I haven't had any problems with Win10 other than one update that caused issues AAA with AMS but that one isn't necessarily an OS responsibility. My $.02

8. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I'm in no position to discuss because I have very little PC knowledge. But unless my shop sells his computers all over the world, I don't believe they are to blame. Check internet for Win10 update errors and troubleshooting e.g.:rolleyes:
    I use the PC only for sim racing, there is no other programs or even mail installed. For that I have my thrusted Mac which his given me no trouble (not even one issue) in all those years in any sense, not even when upgrading OS. It just works by itself, fast, always...

9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    As Windows 95 arrived: Win95 is awful. Bad OS
    As Windows 98 arrived, Win98 is awful, Win95 was good
    As Windows XP arrived, Win XP is awful, Win 98 was better
    As Windows Vista arrived, Vista is awful, Win XP was better
    As Windows 7 arrived: Windows 7 is bad, ok Vista was that, too
    As Windows 8 arrived: Windows 8 is bad, Windows 7 was better.
    As Windows 10 arrived , Windows 8 was better,

And so on. You can search for it in the internet. For me as a IT Preson, Windows 10 is very good. No big problems (OK, Windows Update is to blame that there is scheduling not that possible without WSUS) But Win10 is good :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    You missed out M.E. surely that WAS the worst OS ever.

11. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    hey man....my pc updated to the creators edition that caused the issues with AMS and while i got the AAA issues sorted it didn't run as smooth....Raceroom however looked crap...lost the AAA and no matter what i did it looked crap. so i have rolled back windows to before the creators edition update. what did you do to get the games looking good as before??? every day i have to intercept and cancel the creators edition update and its doing my head in !!!

12. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    @kamackeris
    Do you have an nvidia card with garphics enhancement via driver?

13. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    yup

14. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Then it's your setting. After installing fall creators update, you have a generic driver. Uninstall it via DisplayDriverUninstaller DDU. After that you have to reinstall llatest nividia driver.

After installing that you have to make your driver enhanced settings again and it works.

Your graphics couldn't get worse with an Windows update. The Problem is, that your settings in nvidia driver where overwritten and yes, this is a problem I have after cretain Windows Updates, too. This costs me many nerves, but now I know, what to do.

Do you use Nvidia Inspector to enhance your game graphics?

15. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I tend to disagree... ;)

The worst - according to what I heard, as I never used it myself - has to be Microsoft Bob. A complete bull$hit with a UI that was resembling a house.

But M.E. was the first Windows with system file protection, which was a giant leap forward for Windows in my opinion. All later NT-derived versions like XP inherited this functionality that saved system libraries from being overwritten by overzealous installation programs. Back then I was very adventurous with my Windows installations leading to VERY frequent re-installs after I messed up some internal files with installing and uninstalling of various software. Windows M.E. was the first Windows that lasted for longer than 1 or 2 months on my harddrive (at least a year!). :D And it was 100% rock-stable for me. Otherwise it was like Win 98, which was OK at that time.

I often hear people moan about M.E. and seriously don't know why. :cool:

16. William Wester

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I'm not here to argue @Fanapryde, it was just the comment that you say came from your hardware builder that prompted my post.
    For discussion sake, you compare your MAC experience to quantify your general computer experience. I don't think you are comparing apples to apples (no pun intended :)). Who built your Mac, who created the OS that runs on that MAC.... In some ways a Mac is similar to a gaming console as it's a much more controlled device (hardware and software). It's very popular for many to build their own computer to run Windows on. There are hundreds of variables that can (and does) affect how well the OS running on said hardware performs. Any Tom, Dick, and Harry (I've built all my personal computers for that past 20 years) can build their own computer (various motherboards, chipsets, memory types/speeds/timmings, video cards, etc.) . It's not a difficult understaking but things CAN go wrong if some rules are not followed.
    With that said, below is a blurb from a "Build your own MAC" (not even close to Windows OS computer builders) article.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3201034/macs/hackintosh-should-you-build-one.html

"Why you should not build a Hackintosh"
    On the other hand, the list of cons contains a few possible deal killers.
    ...Fragility: Not in the hardware, but in the software. Every time Apple updates the OS, there’s a chance your Hackintosh may not survive the update process. Before updating, time is required to research the web and see how the process has gone for other users.

I rest my case.

I feel for you, it's not fun dealing with computer issues. But, for your builder to state that Windows 10 is the worst OS ever made would ruin my confidence in their abilities/knowledge. There surely seems that there's an issue but for the computer to not even boot is a failure on the hardware builders (I suspect driver compatibility issues with components they used or a configuration issue).

Also, many are quick to blame the OS whenever there is a problem. In some cases an issue may surface when an OS update is applied but that doesn't necessarily mean the OS is the problem. It could be that some old or badly created software interferes. Technology moves forward are at frantic pace, backward compatibility will always be a possible source of problems.

Hope you get it figured out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. William Wester

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    I don't have a magic bullet (solution). I've had virtually no issues upgrading, it's hard to say why some do. I have many games (98% racing) on my PC, all run fine, Raceroom included. I did have a couple issues that were corrected after the software vender (Kunos to name one) updated their game (AC, race session wouldn't exit correctly if the user was running multiple monitors) to fix the problem.

18. kamackeris

kamackeris Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    When it updated i checked the drivers and they were still the latest nvidia drivers not some generic ones. i use nvidia control panel to set graphics settings which also hadn't changed after the update too

19. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it looks alike, but didn't implement. Don't know, why.
    But if your graphics are other than before the update you can trust me, that your settings in driver are not applied. So you have to search driver wide, not OS wide. And there you better start with DDU and the latest NVIDA Driver.

Here is a thread for Nvidia Inspector Settings and I highly recommend to follow this, so you could be sure, that it works. On mine I have to set a AA DX9 compatibility Bit to apply the settings!