Braking suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by higsy, Feb 10, 2018.

1. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Hi. I was wondering what the majority of you guys do when it comes to braking when it comes to following closely to another car? I have my braking points on the track when I'm by myself but when I'm following closely I can' see these for the most part. Was just looking for some tips.
    Thanks

2. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    It may sound a bit strange but once I learned to look through, or past the car in front it was easier to pick up my braking point. Not that it was the one I would use if I were running in the clear but the objects you 'trained' yourself to pick up without even realizing you were doing it. A grand stand, a sign, a change in pavement or even the revs of the engine triggers something that says it's time to brake.
    Takes a bit of training but you will also be able to take advantage of the gaps that present themselves because you are not directly looking at the car in front of you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    When i‘m very close to an opponent I start coasting quite early and perpare for braking... in that moment i try to get a bit out of the slipstream so that i hopefully can see a bit more. if I can see my braking-point i try to use that, if not I brake as soon as my opponent Brakes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    brake early. Much earlier than you think you need to - you get kind of 'sucked into' the corner. And if you braked too early you can use this to your advantage to nail the exit

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I look at where my opponent brakes, and brake there. But I do start coasting when I feel the braking approaching, I want to make sure I don't plough into the back of whoever is the unlucky victim :p

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tarik Userli

Tarik Userli Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +578 / 0 / -0
    late enough, but early enough to get sucked in the corner

7. Thomas Cameron

Thomas Cameron Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I brake early usually as I can use it as advantage in the corner , also if the driver in front is a little iffy I keep well back anyway

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    That’s the thing why the one behind is also doing a ‚mistake‘ e.g. following the one ahead off into the gravel... you can easily miss your/the right breaking point. I tend to break sort of earlier or try to get a little bit off the slipstream to have a better view... but all of the here suggested things is not optimal... that’s why you loose time in a close battle..

• Like Like x 1
  9. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    I only really do it in practice, I have my own brake markers in race to make sure I don't follow someone off track. I've been guilty to that in the past though, for sure. But I have learned :D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    A very contentious subject, reliant on so many factors from your own skill level to abillity and trust you have in your opponents that you are racing and then there are the situational arguments.........it could go on and on!

Many different ways to approach it, anything already suggested is worth trying its finding what suits you the best, your brake points\markers dont change no matter if your 2ft or 20 behind the car in front you need the positional\spatial awareness to be able to brake consistantly whether close to a car or not. I dont agree with braking much earlier, just be aware and alert, be sure you have the room and or ability to manouvre should something unexpected happen, brake\lift off too early and the guys following will just take advantage of the space you are giving them, the idea is to race, be smart and out think your opponent, your braking here in this corner also sets up your exit which in turn leads to chances further down the road, braking too early often loses any advantage you may have, gives opponents following an opportunity and potentially means you are playing catchup exiting the corner, you may get a good fast exit but your still behind the car you followed into the corner and with the earlier braking may well have lost a place or two, you cant dismiss early braking completely out of hand, its like anything else its situational you have to think fast and react faster make the split second call and decide, typically for me its a no, trial and error find what works for you.
    If im not sure of a track or its fairly new to me i`ll trust my reactions and attempt to follow the guy in front at a safe-ish distance, he brakes i brake, im then learning or being taught by the guy in front as you get faster use faster guys as your markers, there is method in the madness.
    If i know the track well then its just a case of making use of space, follow at full speed as close to my braking point as possible then move to create space either inside or out for overtaking or to be sure if he brakes a fraction earlier than me (typically a late braker) i have a little room for avoidance or to make the overtake and get around the corner safely no matter how it pans out, there is also the trust if you know you can trust the people around you to brake where braking would be expected, you know your speed and you know the people in your bracket will if driving simillar cars brake at the same or very, very close point to your own, if your against faster drivers then try to follow their lead but be sure to leave yourself room to escape and not cause an unnecesary bump, this is probably the best although most risky way to learn, follow the fast guys, do as they do just dont hit them! Like i said, very contentious, very situational and a subject where skill and equipment have a huge part to play!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018