The Assetto Corsa thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Skybird, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I for one would not care about AC2, if ACC really included everything that is promised in the announcement. GT3 is all I drive in AC (everything else I drive in either Raceroom or Automobilista).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I think there will be no third AC game, AC2. This Competizione thing imo takes the place of an officially so-named AC2. I think so even more since Marco Massarutto's announcement indicates that the game will go beyond the core of Blanpain content later on.

And why should there even be an "AC2"? Same content as AC1, just with new graphcis engine? A bit in lack of fantasy and imgination. What they do instead, is much more creative a course-plotting.

ACC is AC2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird this is a point where I cannot follow you.
    What fantasy or imagination do you need for a racing game?

If you use a new engine you have to build the physics, the cars and the tracks. There is no room for creativity.

So I think, it begins with Blancpain and ends with a new Assetto Corsa. If it will be as an paid update or a new title... I don't care.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    You are quite right.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Absolutely no need or room for creativity around here.

5. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The lack of fantasy I meant regarding just "translating" existing AC1 content (cars, tracks) to get the quantity equivalent of AC1. Instead focussing on somethign that is completely new in AC - a racing series - and this, after completing its ingredient list, using as a basis to slowly add , hopefully, other content again as well, sounds "newer", more creative by concept, to me.

Stefano made some comments somewhere that the ycould use only AC1 physics in the new engine, evertyhing else needs to be redone freshly, and the workload is such that they hired new staff already over a year ago, they physics also now got all to full 64 Bit he said, and even the limited nmber of cars in the beginning is an immense, overwhelming task, he indicated. Focussing on one license for a starting of a new title, is clever, it takes the pressure away - if this would hav ebeen made to be an AC2, everybdy wuld attack them for not onclduing all the content there is in AC1 from all bgeinning on. But translating 180 into the new engine would overwhelm them, in workload.

Their now announced approach is far more elegant. And adds simulating a racing series.

Gran Turismo faced the same debate, and some people crush it for not following the desing of the earlier games with many, many, many more cars in that. But the cars there are now, are done much more advanced than ever before, which translates into working hours. For a console game, GT is briliant I ike it, while also remembering the very first GT over 20 years ago. I thzink their decision to chnage the fundamental oackage design this drastically, was the right one. And it somewhat compares to the situation Kunos must have found themselves in when deciding the base design of their new package.

Of one thing I am quite sure. On PC, ACC will put every other racing title there currently is (or is anonunced for the forseeable future), under immense pressure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Maybe RRE will improve the current system for setting up championships, just to release some of that pressure. :) Here's hoping.... The championship mode in PCars2 is also terrible.
    I even re-installed F1 2013 (yes 13!) last week just to have a game with some structure and a 'long' term goal. (I couldn't find my Shift2 disc....)
    All these companies should be ashamed that Bugbear are leading the way with championships this year with Wreckfest!
    Race Room Experience - Championship Edition. Has a ring to it, no?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Exactly this could be the reason to release ACC between AC1 and a possible AC2 (or what ever it will be called then). Give the Community something new to play with, earn some money with it and keep going in development...
    There are many many reasons to "just" translate AC1 into AC2 with that new technology. As you already see, there are Weather-Effect + Day-Night-Racing available now. And yes, now there is a proper Raceseries included - why should it get lost in AC2 later on?!
    So these alone are some features that many AC-players had missed and easily spend money on again... and there are a lot that liked roadcars and drifting in AC. This usergroup will not be that happy about ACC

8. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    You do not need an official third game in the AC franchise for adding more content. Just add DLCs ovcer the next years to Competizione. Note that it is not advertised as Assetto Corsa Blancpain, but Assetto corsa Competizione, with the license for Blancpain - and indicaitons they plan to not leave it there.

Steffano has said somewhere that bringing the old cars to the standard of the new engine, is difficult, U4 engine is not easy to code, he said, their own engine for AC1 was much easier to handle, he said. It costs them much more time per car.

I also wonder whether the Blancpain license allows them to remain as open for modding as they were in AC1. Modding and licenses like this Blancpain series somewhat collide head-on. We know the constellation from part of the Raceroom content. Possible there is only limited modding as long as the new AC is limited to Blancpain only.

Anyway, time for some nordschleifing now. In Raceroom. ;)

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Well, exactly it is advertised as "Assetto Corsa Competizione - The Official Blancpain GT Series Game" - which is in my opinion a bit more than just a license. But yeah, it leaves some space for more as it uses the Assetto Corsa Brand...

And when it is just about DLC - they could have added Blancpain to the current game if it is just about that...

And well - UE4 is quite easy to "code" - and car-Models are mostly 3d Studio-Objects that can be imported into UE4. But maybe he ment the handling between the different modules, so between graphics, physics, sound and so on. If the use self developed modules it surely can be more difficult...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    This is what Stefano says about U4E:

"we programmers had to spend more time figuring out how the engine wanted us to do things rather than write the actual code to make those things happen.

Day to day quality of life went a bit down for the programming team, the engine is HUGE, small modifications require very long compile times compared to AC1 that was built for fast iteration and was quite a joy to work with... that means A LOT of coffee breaks, lot of cursing a lot of opportunities to get distracted while the damn thing builds.. but, all the frustration pays back once you see what the graphics guys are able to put on the screen and realize it's all worth."

Difficult or not, it costs them more time to work with this one. And mind you - they hired new programmers already over one year ago, so I think they have sunk some experience-gathering into it by now.

And further:

"Physics was one of the very few things we could salvage and bring over from AC1 to ACC moving to UE4, everything else needs to be redone from scratch.

So from any point of view you can consider ACC physics as a direct evolution of AC1 physics with the added bonus of not having 170+ cars to update and check if we decide to make substantial changes.... this is giving me, Aris and the new physics dev that joined us Fernando the opportunity to get in pretty hard in some areas and make some substantial changes that we couldn't afford to do with a big released product like AC1.

We'll have plenty of time to dig into the details of it both before the EA and after, I'll just drop one big one here tho. Although it's not really something we'll see fully utilized in ACC because of the nature of the tracks we are going to include but the physics engine is now running full blown 64bit math all around, so, as far the physics is concerned, there are virtually no limits to how big a track could be, we could literally race to Mars and back without suffering much precision losses in the calculations... again, not really something that will create a huge change in ACC but still a thing I can geek out and be happy about."

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  11. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else remembering the hour long race along the entire coastal road of a certain Hawaiian island in Test Drive Unlimited? And then imagining more realistic physics and no rubberbanding?

I hired (thankfully) The Run for console, hoping to drive/race from LA to New York - or whatever towns they actually were - only to discover that I was hopelessly naive.

I don't expect anything of the sort for this title (initially), but it makes you think what could be....
    What does GTR stand for again?

12. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Of course he'd say the physics were easily transferable, it would be suicide to say they wouldn't.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    FTFY

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    U4E is a graphics engine, while physics get calculated by physics processor or main CPU and would be expected to not being calculated by the GFX hardware, so it is no surprise that physics are the easiest of the many parts of the old cars to transfer (and then improve, note they all are 64 Bit now). The graphics parts and light effects need to be done from scratch, obviously, also the tracks.

And even if it would have been difficult, ravenousbeast, they would have done it, for it would be insane to ignore the primary selling argument of AC in their new title. Physics and Driving are THE domain of AC.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    You both seem to have misunderstood me.

What I meant by my comment was that even if they did have trouble with the physics they certainly wouldn't say it publicly because it would be suicide for the title. People will be expecting a very similar feel. The driving itself is the biggest selling point in AC.

Look at what happened with Dirt 4. Loads of improvements but somewhat odd grip levels on loose surfaces that only affects most of the rally cars (tbf large part of the game is that) and it's pretty much dead. Nevermind the weight and weight transfer being much better, the improved FFB (subjective), the much improved tarmac as well as all the side content (RX, Landrush etc) and general polish.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ah. Okay. ;) You came over a bit queer indeed.

17. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    @theravenousbeast understand your reasoning, jut not liking the undertone that you suggest they would be lying.

@Skybird there are no physics processors anymore

18. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, i think his logic was a bit off there, even though his point may have been correct.

I would it would be more correct to say that UE4 has 2 main components, the graphics engine and physics engine. So, you plug in your data and then UE4, through the magic of software, UE4 sends the calculations to your cpu to complete. Since you dont plug in numbers to a cpu directly or anything like that.

So, it makes sense that the data you previously had could just be plugged into the new engine. Whereas the graphics arent just plug and play or able to be directly transferred over.

19. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    In Germany we would say: "Du beantwortest Dir deine Frage doch selbst." Are you a game player or sim driver? I see too much differences between the real life and a none laser scanned virtual version of a track. Yes of course, accurate tracks are not the only basis of a racing sim, a great driving physics, real car copies, real car sounds, a real racing ambience at the tracks, … are at least as important for a racing sim, nevertheless laser scanned tracks determine the importance of sim in comparison to the competitors and provide a realistic driving experience for all sim customers, no matter whether you are a hobby sim driver, semi-professional real race driver or full professional real race driver, who use sims like iRacing or R3E for their exercises and preparations for real life competitions.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  20. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Afaik you can plug your physics engine to ue4 and that's what they're doing. They're taking ac physics engine giving it some 64bit steroids tweaking to get better results. Et voilà. Job done