Country selection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Patrick Förster, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Patrick Förster

Patrick Förster New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Dear Sector3 Studios,

I am writing to you to re-think and adjust the country selection, namely Taiwan, which is not a Province of China.

I do not want to make this beautiful simulation polictical but so shouldn't you. In many countries Taiwan has its own country code, in Germany it would be for example: Taiwan (465) and China would be China (479). This alone should make clear that Taiwan is not a Province of China.

Gerne möchte ich das auch noch einmal auf Deutsch klar machen, ich bin seit 2013 aktiver Spieler und besitze bis auf die Porsche alles was RaceRoom an Content zu bieten hat. Ich habe vor Kurzem bemerkt, dass Sie die Länderbezeichnung für Taiwaner auf Ihrer Webseite als „Taiwan, Procince of China“ stehen haben.

Bitte nehmen Sie zur Kenntnis, dass dies ein politisch inkorrekter und problematischer Fehler ist, denn im Gegensatz zu Hong Kong und Macau ist Taiwan ein demokratischer Staat, welcher nicht von der kommunistischen Regierung Chinas regiert wird.

Außerdem setzt die NGO „Reporter ohne Grenzen“ Taiwan auf Platz 1 der Pressefreiheit in Asien. So ein freier und vielfältiger Staat hat nichts mit dem Kommunismus und der Volksrepublik China zu tun. Hier bewerte ich nicht den Kommunismus an sich.

Bitte nehmen Sie auch zur Kenntnis, dass bereits die deutschen Ländercodes für Taiwan (465) und China (479) verschieden sind.(Quelle: Statistisches Bundesamt: Staats- und Gebietssystematik
    https://goo.gl/g9DaJz) Zudem wird auf den Aufenthaltserlaubnis-Karten die Staatsangehörigkeit als „TWN“ angegeben und nicht „CHN“. Wenn Ihr Unternehmen Taiwaner als Chinesen markiert, könnte es zu unnötigen Irrtümern und Komplikationen kommen.

Somit bitte ich Sie die falsche Bezeichnung Taiwans auf Ihrer Seite zu korrigieren. Vielen Dank!

Thank you for your consideration.

Best regards,
    Patrick Förster

Attached Files:

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
  3. Patrick Förster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's sad . . . passports look and are named differently, visa requirements are different . . . it is strange to me that the UN's ISO codes are used in this simulation. Does not make much sense. RaceRoom could use at least the passport's name, which would be more relevant and correct in this case. For RaceRoom developers: Reopublic of China, Taiwan

and China is People's Republic of China.

Hardly know any official authority using the UN's ISO codes to name countries and naming Taiwan as a Province of China is simply wrong and politically problematic. I understand that the developers would not know that but should be able to research afterwards when brought to their attention. If in doubt, they can haippily contact the Taiwanese embassies around the world, they explain to them better that myself.

To make your example and wikipedia source even more obsolete, Taiwan is not even a member of the UN, so why would they have the right to incorrectly name Taiwan as Province of China? It is simply the case of making life easier for them as Taiwan used to be the UN member instead of China until they reversed it. Have a read about it and you will understand.

And even Steam does know the correct name of Taiwan, so do many other and if not all games I have ever played. Only RaceRoom would not correct it? Of course, none will care and Taiwanese are not a big member base on RaceRoom but still . . . do some justice to Taiwan here.

For instance, if you incorrectly name Taiwan as Province of China, the flag would be incorrect too. However, RaceRoom uses the offical Taiwanese flag, so the name should be corrected as well to the offical and correct name: Republic of China, Taiwan.

Thank you.

4. Patrick Förster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
  5. Patrick Förster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

And this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Province,_People's_Republic_of_China

Clear enough why it is wrong to use Taiwan, Province of China?

6. Patrick Förster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully, RaceRoom developers enjoyed good History lessons in school and hopefully keep up to date. There is no choice but to amend the name to its correct name. I know, it is just a simulation but imagine this is being ignored on a small scale . . . it will have a bigger impact.

I will definitely have the Taiwanese embassy contacting the developers to explain why it is wrong to use the name they use for Taiwan.

I will leave it here for the this thread. I am glad that at least 1 responded, thank you nate.

7. G.Deurwaerder

G.Deurwaerder Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115 / 0 / -0
    @Patrick Förster Sector3 studio is not Raceroom

they work for Raceroom so everything comes from raceroom so you have to send your complaint to Raceroom and not to Sector3 ;)

8. Patrick Förster

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I can try, thanks for the hint - much appreciated.

9. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Normally it should still be Dutch @nate