Raceroom destroy my and your ssd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Maddog, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Maddog

Maddog Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, i've only one ssd nvme installed on my pc.
    Everytime Raceroom auto save tons of megabyte of replay file.
    This feature destroy ssd.
    Sector3, please it's possible in the future to have a pop up on exit that ask me if i want to save or not the replay?
    Many thx.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Or delete them, or deactivate them via set launch options in steam if possible still, can't remember the line though.
    But would be nice to have a option in the menu..

3. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    or would be nice to be able to set a custom location on an HDD for the replays and/or user data folder.

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    …phew… I’m kind of relieved that I still got an old HDD... if it’s true that Raceroom destroys SSDs, it’s a bombshell like dieselgate… am I happy about my HDD....o_O:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maddog

Maddog Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It's possible to change Documents location folder from c: to another hdd or ssd but only if you have two or more hdd, ssd installed in your pc, but i've only one ssd.

6. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    It's a hoax

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    how???

(Edit: ok i already figured it out)

I got 2 SSDs (M.2 PCIe for Win10 and Programs, and 1 SATA SSD for games) and 1 HDD as a graveyard.

8. Maddog

Maddog Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Create a folder on disk d: or e: , depending of your config, and rename: example my documents, then Right click on documents folder in your c:, manage, location and change to my documents folder in disk d: or e:
    Now all your replay file will be on another disk and not in c:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    Been running my SSD's for quite awhile now with R3E, never had a problem, or maybe I'm miss understanding, I would just like something in a menu to give us a choice to record or not.

10. BBKing212

BBKing212 Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JakkeFin

JakkeFin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    i have 969 replay files on my ssd from 2015 to 2018...
    no problems
    14.1 Gb

• Like Like x 1
  12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just in case, the launch parameter to stop the game from saving replay files is

-disableReplay

Enter the above exactly as is in Steam's launch parameter option if you're worried about your SSD (or don't care for replays).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Maddog

Maddog Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thx, will try

14. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    "Raceroom destroy my and your ssd"

This could be rephrased to, "Anytime you do anything on your PC, you are killing your SSD!" (check out these 10 cool tips on how to SAVE YOUR SSD!)

Your point seems to be that, RR is saving replay files to your SSD, and what kills SSD's over time is a lot of data being written onto them, which will eventually make the flash memory inside them fail.

Well, nearly everything you ever do on your PC writes to the SSD. Do you use an internet browser? Because that is writing a lot more to your SSD than a replay file in RR is :p

Anyway, as @BBKing212 pointed out above, your SSD can withstand hundreds, upon hundreds of terabytes being written to them before facing issues. And then eventually, all SSD's or HDD's will fail.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Shenmue_X

Shenmue_X Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    One of the best features of Raceroom. I wish it's within other games.

16. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    While it is true that SSDs and USB-sticks only have a limtied amount of write-cycles availablew per cell, good quality devices are more enduring today than they once were when they came out. To say RR destroys SSDs is a hopeless exaggeration. Tests have shown that devices of well-known brands last for hundreds of Terabytes and up to I think 1.5 petabytes before they finally died - and last such test I have read about was already several years old. A good OS should make sure that all cells get evenly used, spreading the usage across all active memory there is, not just always the same cell areas, and broken cells will be "replaced" by a hidden, uncounted pool of reserve cells that are not counted in the device'S storage capacity, so even e range of broken cells does not autmatically mean your storage device is dead all of a sudden.

It could break due to other tech components breaking, however. Like any tech device. Or in words of wisdom from Fallout 4: it lasts forever. Until it lasts no more.

Switch off the claxons.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    just what I did, thanks for the tip!

18. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    just on a sidenote:

Before an SSD will fail by writing on them they will probably fail for some other reason.

For example:
    My Crucial MX300 525GB has a TBW (Total Bytes Written or sometimes also called TeraBytes Written) of 160TB. That means that I have to write 87GB on the disc every day for 5 years straight before it fails. And this is one of the cheap SSDs.

The 1TB version of my SSD even has a TBW of 400TB (219GB/day for 5 years). So this isn't really a thing to worry about. Other components of the SSD will probably fail earlier.

My M.2 Intel 600p SSD has TBW of 144TB, so still 80GB a day for 5 years.

There are also reports that after reaching the massive TBWs the SSD still didn't fail and often lastet many TBs or even PTs longer.

19. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Only thing you have to disable for your SSD is auto-defrag (if Win doesn't do it by itself), AFAIK SSD life time is comparable to HDD one. If you're not afraid to destroy your old HDD, don't be afraid for the SSD too. ;)

That doesn't change the fact that the game needs to write it to the disk temporarily while playing, until you choose to keep or discard it, so disk usage would be the same. I don't think it's a good solution to record it in RAM due to some limited systems and the size a big replay can use.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  20. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    auto saving replays is stupid, why can i not turn it off with a simple in game option? and can you not change the path from documents? not much common sense went into this one

• Disagree Disagree x 1