Recent tweaks have ruined C7?!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Badders46, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I am a member at RRLeagues and chose the Callaway Corvette for this season's GT3 championship but since the latest BOP my teammate and I have suffered hugely... Please see a short video of my battle with an M6... I was running 2 degrees of wing at Paul Ricard and couldn't get past even with slipstream! It was so frustrating!! To make it worse, his tyres were red and I hadn't long pitted! Yes I could have forced the issue but we have a racing license and didn't want to ruin either of our races and get penalty points!

I get that you need to level the playing field so all cars are used but don't lose characteristics of the cars!! The C7 is slow now... Audi, AMG and M6 are better...

I really hope something can be done about this as it's ruined our teams championship!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    You are two close drivers, and it's not all about slip stream.
    Hard to see on my phone, but at some point it looks like you get out of the slip stream to early to make the pass. And also noticed that you are shifting really late. Might be that he shifts at a more optimal rev point?.
    I'm on vacation though, so haven't tried the latest BOP.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SunnySunday

SunnySunday Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with heppsan here. although I did not watch the whole clip it looks like you are two pretty competitive drivers and you gained and lost some time here and there. The m6 does look a tiny bit faster on the straight but it's not like you did a perfect lap anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. C.Rogers

C.Rogers Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like you are after an unfair advantage. You could be right though, for me the C7 has lost its advantages which made it faster than the other cars, however that is the purpose of BOP. To balance the performance so all cars are competitive. Admittedly when the C7 was released it was easier to drive fast than the other cars. It loved to ride the curb something the Audi couldn't do yet it still had arguably equal or more horses than the AMG and turned much better. It was the perfect car. Sooner or later they were bound to correct this imbalance as they did with the Z06 which was by far the quickest GT3 car.

That was some nice racing until that mistake into the wall. Apart from the BOP changes you need to consider your opponent was probably using less wing to attain higher top end speeds since that is usually the way to pass or defend at Paul Ricard with that layout. You gained in the corners and in the initial stages of acceleration more than likely because you had fresh rubber but at the top end it seems the M6 had longer legs. In hindsight when you get alongside him battle through the corner side by side and force him to use those worn tyres in a not so optimum way. It would hurt his acceleration out of the turns even more but honestly that was good driving by him to keep you behind.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    I too agree with Heppsan. You are driving on a very close level, but my impression is that the M6 driver has the slightly better exit onto the straights giving him a small speed advantage. Plus as the others said, you leave the slipstream and expose yourself to the drag too early.
    Anyway, great driving!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the input guys... I'm not after an unfair advantage at all, that's not me. It is just frustrating as my our results have gone from 2 x 7th and 8th place finishes before the tweak to 11th and 12th and 14th and 16th (we are the only Corvettes in the field) since the tweak and I just feel the car has lost its characteristics of being a quick fuel guzzling car... I mean over a 90 minute race at Sepang before the tweakI used about 180l and here in Paul Ricard after (I know different track) but I used about 147l or something...

I'll upload another video at some point when Andraz overtakes me down the straight and he comes from a ways back! I could have defended but there was a P2 car lapping us... I'll be back!

Appreciate the input though!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Fuel usage of all cars did get adjusted in the last update, so this is expected. Some of the cars had rather... wrong... fuel use before, and this kind of streamlined the fuel use for all cars, partly as a BoP thing, and partly to get rid of the outliers that were off.

I would tend to agree with the others above about the difference between the 2 cars judging by the video. You both seem very evenly matched, and perhaps he was running a bit less wing than you. In all the GT3 cars, you can run minimum wing without problem, with the exception being 1 or 2 cars where you need to use 1 or 2 clicks above minimum.

At PR with the long Mistral, I was clocking the M6 doing 279 kmh, and the C7 doing 275 kmh in my own testing after seeing this thread. So, a 4 kmh spread over the longest straight in the game (Nords too maybe?) is quite reasonable. The M6 did keep accelerating a bit more than the C7 which struggled to reach its max after getting up to ~265 kmh for me. This could be because of the weight of the cars or some other differences like drag when going at high speed.

Suggestions? Make sure you arent trailing too closely on the exit of L'ecole so you can really maximize the slipstream for a longer period of time and get a better sling shot. Stay in the draft until the last moment, then pop out to attempt the pass.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Cheers Nate... I will take this on board and see how we get on next time out!

Thanks for the input everyone

• Like Like x 2
  9. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Just be glad you didn't chose the Porsche. The Vette pulls away from the Porsche like it's down a gear. I also agree that the Vette is still stable with the wing at 1 or in some cases 0.

10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The advantages and disadvantages of the cars are biggger on some tracks than on other. The M6 is now a quite fast car. As we‘ve learned it loses a bit on braking due to its weight. Paul Ricard and atleast that layout has not that hard braking zones as it sweaps from corner to corner... for the c7 that is a tough nut to crack.

And on the Porsche. It has higher top speed than the vette. Very good on braking and it‘s grip out of slow corners is a big advantage, too.

The AMG easily has a better acceleration compared to all others when rolling... But due it‘s understeering tendency you can accelerate later out of corners...

11. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Maybe the last 2 races haven't been good tracks for the Vette then... Both here and Slovakia ring... We were both being swamped by the AMG and finished 11th and 12th... Whereas at Sepang before the tweak we were 7th and 8th and could hold our own... ☹️

12. DaniloE31

DaniloE31 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Are you really saying, you are making this revolt against the BoP because you lost 4 positions??? o_O ;)

13. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    No... We have actually lost more 14th and 16th at PR

I just wondered if anyone else had found the tweak to the Corvette frustrating...

I suppose our frustration comes from having chosen the Corvette through testing before the championship and we are now stuck with our choice and the tweaks came after round 2 of 8!!

It's life and I'm not the faster driver by any means... Just slightly frustrating to have removed some of the cars nice characteristics that were also negatives... Fuel use = more weight required, longer pit stops, more tyre wear but as a trade off speed was greater... Now it uses similar fuel and isn't the fastest car by any means... AMG on the other hand doesn't seem to have been changed much?

14. Reinhard Berger

Reinhard Berger Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hi badders46,

you are correct, that C7 is now little slower in laptimes after the BoP, i think, that the sector3 people get a little slow down the car, because the car did get in BoP a fuelneed balance, and use now much less fuel then before, so i think sector 3 people give them because of this better fuelneed a little reduce in power (or whatever to slow the car little down).
    i did test it by myself in nürburgring after BoP (in nurburgring i did pre-season test before BoP comes too), and i was not able to match my laptimes as before the BoP.
    for me now, perhaps the car is only a little slower in laptimes, but it is not easy to get quick laptimes, which for example in porsche is very easy to make, as the car is so easy to drive.
    i do not know the HP of each car in this GT3 class, but i was thinking the C7 have more HP then for example the Porsche and should be faster in straights, but it is not.

for bette top speed, i would test the car with lowest rear wing settings, think it is 0, and try to become stabile with this.
    i do usualy use rear wing 0 or 1 in porsche (after i did watched a imola race from a fast porsche driver and saw his setup)

the last BoP did many good things and did equal the GT3 field more, but why they slow down the C7 i did not know (same then get audi a laptime help, which i do not understand too), so little little balance of carpack is only needed now.

servus

15. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Reinhard Berger!

Cheers for commenting... Congrats on the win

I agree with what you have said... I understand why they have balanced the pack but it is also hard to balance them and have all cars the same... I would prefer characteristics of cars to remain .it these things happen!

Dan

16. C.Rogers

C.Rogers Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    That's a good point. I test my setups at 0 wing and only increase it to combat high speed instability. For example the McLaren at Road America is as fast as any other with the wing at 0 but it's unstable for me at Spa through Eau Rouge. So why I can hit similar times with the Mclaren and the AMG at both tracks the setup for the Mclaren is vastly different with higher wing at Spa and much slower top speeds. Also the Mclaren's gearing is awesome and its quite a lot of fun to drive.

Sometimes you have to do a lot of testing to learn how to extract the potential of the car and your setup. You may find you can take certain corners faster or that its best to enter slow and have a smooth long exit resulting in high top speeds. Even when slip streaming you have to time your acceleration. You don't want to close up behind the car and have to pull out too soon unless you know you have the torque to out accelerate. Stay in the draft and pull out just before you touch the opponents car or when you hit the limiter because at that point you're not going to go any faster. Anyway good luck for the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Badders46

Badders46 Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @C.Rogers and all other that have commented, I will take onboard the advice and see how I do... Think I might have to miss the next race due to work but the race after that I'll give it a go!

Thanks!