Porsche cup comparison

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xon3, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    Nicki Thiim just did a video comparing the Porsche cup on ac rr and iracing.

For those who don't know Nikki has won the Porsche supercup back in the day.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    In comparison to the competitors R3E looks awful in the slow corners ... omg ... Nicki needs more practice ...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  3. Don Rudi

Don Rudi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +284 / 0 / -0
    Nice comparison. Funny for me is, that I can get the Cup Porsche a lot quicker around turns than the iRacing one, just the opposite of what Nicki encountered.
    One thing I cannot understand though - he praises the iRacing graphics of the tracks. Imho they just look sterile and "cheap". Both AC and R3E look better for my personal taste.

4. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I really like the car... it’s a challenge to drive, but for me it’s because of this even more rewarding for myself, when you do a good job.

The feedback from Nicki could be very useful though for @Alex Hodgkinson to perhaps fine tune the physics and make the car even better!:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    We shared this between the Sector3 team this morning.
    Very interesting to hear his thoughts, and the things he does mention are the areas I'd considered for improvement already.
    Hopefully I can make it happen before too long!

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree with his opinions and ratings on this. The iRacing model is very touchy with mushy feel. The AC version has pretty good feedback, but the sounds leave a bit to be desired.

R3E...well, you guys have a ways to go, but i'm happy to see that you are working on it. Please consider updating the gear sound with respect to overall diff speed like the other two sims as well.

7. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    That’s great to hear from you. Appreciate it!:)

8. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Glad to exactly hear from a Pro what makes me feel so very uncomfortable driving the P-Cup Cars (just saw the video)...with this "guys (S3),can't help myself but you really, really should take another look at 'em" -feeling every time I got on the track to try another lap (or race)...:)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    His answer about which sound it the most realistic:
    :eek:

10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    His feedback on the iracing tire model gave me a good laugh!

12. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So he's telling that the R3E Version is too hard to drive are am I reading wrong?
    I really like to drive but on the league racing I really do not feel comfortable with it. It's a real bitch. I understand that it doesn't come with the aero package from GT3 and doesn't have TC or ABS, but.... wow. When I drive thisI feel like a complete noob.

13. Obizzz

Obizzz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    You are listening and trying to improve it right away... yet iRacing's tire model has been shit for years. I actually think the original model they had in 2008 felt way better than what we have now. Could be the rose tinted glasses of nostalgia speaking though since I haven't actually driven it since then obviously.

14. Pursang

Pursang Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Drive CUP in R3E it's a challenge, but I like it. The only thing that i can't understand is why with this car it's impossible to do "trail braking"; it only can brake in straight line!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I think it’s because of the weight distribution that’s more to the rear due to the engine placed there and it doesn’t have the aero kit like the GT3R. So under braking the front tires lock easy and early, the car starts to get a light tail. That’s because with reducing speed, when you’re hard on the brakes, the downforce which kept the rear settled and the front ‚heavy‘ for breaking, decreases... and remember, there is no ABS or TC keeping the car ‚electronically‘ in the track...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  16. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    I think the contrary, cause this car understeers a lot you have to trail brake to make it turn better. Maybe just brake less to avoid a wheel lock. Personally I don't like this car but since I've tried it I have reduced my brake pedal sensitivity in R3E, so I have more precision. It also helped me on other cars where braking is hard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I think some of the problem in reviews comes from the default cars often having a bunch of under-steer added to make them safe for a noob with a game pad. I understand the theory and Race Room is not the only sim to do this. Gran Turismo 5 and 6 were the same. The difference is that console gamers usually start with a game pad while PC Sims usually are driven with a FFB wheel. The under-steer was just excessive on the Cup car. I think the Porsche GT3R had a much better default setup as the car was able to make it around corners without pushing off the track, yet it was a very safe setup. The GT3R could be hustled around a track to feel the car had potential to go fast and could be steered with throttle. This amount of balance should be the gold standard for default setups.
    This is not the first time I've watched a mixed or bad review using bad default cars that push. Gamer Muscle did a hack review on Gran Turismo Sport that went exactly the same for them. Despite using a good FFB wheel, he never even opened the tuning menu at any point. Any experienced sim racer doing reviews should know better.

18. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I agree with alot of your points.....one thing I've learnt over the yrs when it comes to reviews and feedback.
    Leave them for the pro drivers!
    Too many youtubers jumping on the train and giving poor reviews.
    I've watched several gamer muscle reviews.....some informative inregards to tips and tricks for games....some of the socalled physic/ffb reviews are a bit questionable.
    He's clearly a fan of AC :)
    I watched a few of his reviews when PC2 came out....many were very positive, pointed out the bugs, saying he was having fun with the majority of the content in the game etc....than he released the jack spade to the rescue review.
    Where he talked about the physics and ffb which from a review point was just bad and filled with misinformation and stopped following him after that.

Long story short...raced out the pits on cold tires, switching between ffb presets and changing things every 30 secs while having the jack spade files loaded ontop.
    Than complained about grip, turn in feel and how it shouldnt be this bad with a high end dd wheel.
    2 of the profiles he switched too have autotune enabled and take 2-3 laps for the forces to stabilize based on your wheel strength....he only did 3 or 4 laps total

Anyways, like I said the only people that should be giving car physic feedback should be the coders and pro/experienced drivers. But than I ve also heard devs say you can put 2 drivers in the same sim with exact setups and they will both give you completely opposite feedback lol

19. ibporsche85

ibporsche85 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I found it interesting that Thiim used different FOV setting for the three trials. Or if not different FOV settings, at least different seat positions (not trying to re-open a discussion on the merits of differing FOV settings).

Also that a professional driver would display the virtual drivers arms and steering wheel. Again, not trying to rehash that old discussion ... just interesting.

I wonder if he would have had a different opinion if the FOV setting were similar in all three sims.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Robineto

Robineto New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i just counted his video, he has 43 iracing videos, 2 assetto corsa, and 2 raceroom video. I'm not sure if he had 43 raceroom video and 2 iracing video his review would be the same...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1