Released BMW M6 GT3

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by RaceRoom, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Clausewitz

Clausewitz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Is there anyone out there, who'd like to share some "secret" setup tips for the M6 with me? As the little picture to the left might show you, I do really like this car and it's for sure one of my most driven GT3 cars, but I just can't make it work in it's current state.
    It's like you only need to think about touching the accelerator and the car starts to oversteer immediately. And you better don't even try to touch a curb...

2. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Try to increase diff preload, rear toe up, up TC?

3. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    PresidentSmug's setups are really good bases. But don't expect to be near his laptimes easily, his driving is out of this world.:D

4. Clausewitz

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Gave President Smug's setup a go, ran TC (5 or even 6 of the default values, whereas in every other GT3 car I'm pretty fine with step 2 or 3) few steps higher --> improved some leaderboard times by a few tenth, but unfortunately I'd still not say, that the M6 is a pleasure to drive.
    I think prior to the new physics the car did not only have the seize of a tank, it also drove like one.;) Maybe not the most agile in slow corners, but, from what I remember, it was very stable, which it sadly isn't anymore these days. Especially turns with small crests in it often make me feel like :mad:.

Thx for the tips anyways.:)

5. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    With the latest BoP update the M6 recieved an increase in power and a decrease in downforce. The laptimes in the M6 didn't change for me - the amount it got faster on the straight, it loses through the corners. And another side-effect of the decreased downforce is an insane instability. A few weeks ago I took part in the 80 minutes of Bathurst with the M6. And for me it was 80 minutes of fighting my own car, not the competitors. Only keeping the M6 on the road for the race was a challenge of its own. I can remember in one of his livestreams even @Georg Ortner had quite a hard time keeping the M6 on the road while testing the BoP on the Nordschleife before the start of the RRVLN season.

I was away from simracing the last few weeks, but the next time I will surely try it with a lot of rearwing. I hope this helps. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Clausewitz

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm talking about.
    I had a look into my statistics in the meantime: the M6 is my most driven GT3 car (1d 7h) and my second most driven car overall and i can say for sure that this would not be the case, if the handling was like it is now, from the start. Instead of running rearwing 15 or whatever I'll count on another BoP adjustment then.
    Regarding your Bathurst race, I'm not sure I would have finished that race, even thinking about this car on the twisty section on the hill...:confused:

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Don't bother with the M6 anymore, was one of my favourites on release but for some reason S3 have trashed it, could always feel it was heavy but now it drives like it has ballast in all the wrong places, undriveable at some tracks due to its total lack of agility. With so many GT3's in RR it baffles me as to why the M6 is so poor at just about everything. Jumped in the Z4 for the first time in ages the other day and was shocked at just how much better it does everything than the M6, surely something is very wrong here. As a rule I have generally enjoyed the differences between all cars in RR but to make the M6 only fit for Wreckfest seems odd to say the least, what is even stranger is it not being picked up in testing prior to its reworking of BOP, imho this car is not competitive at all. Disappointed to say the least, as that Bathurst green liveried M6 is just sat in my garage collecting dust. :(

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Well, laptime-wise the M6 has become more competetive since the latest BoP. But not because it has become faster, it's just the former top-performers have been nerfed quite a bit so the M6 came closer. This will of course only help you in case you're capable to get it over the distance without accidents due to snap-oversteer.

But to be fair, I had the same problem with the new Audi R8 LMS. It took me quite some time to get this thing driveable for me. Unfortunately the tricks I did on the R8 didn't work for me on the M6. ;)

A little bit more rear end downforce with not too much additional drag would be welcome. Would make the car stable again without losing the top speed which is not so bad anymore since the latest BoP. But this is difficult since the cars are quite close together since the latest BoP and you have to be careful not to overpower the M6. Although I like the M6 I don't want it to be the F550 of RaceRoom... :cool:

9. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    Default setup of M6 is terrible, what helped me a lot is the setup made by Yakubu, but again, even with this perfect and fast setup the car is very nervous on the limit, very unstable, so much oversteering... On some tracks it is very-very hard to compete against Porsche and new R8, for example!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Pit54

Pit54 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Against the oversteering only less wing driving helps, not 7 degrees but 3 to 1 degrees

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    Well...I'm not 100% sure what to say...

1. Oversteering means that the back end of the car steps out. To counter this you need more rearwing, not less.
    2. The minimum setting for rearwing on the BMW M6 GT3 is 7°.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pit54

Pit54 New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry I confused it with understeer.

13. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I found Jardier's guide on YouTube improved the car's handling a lot:

• Like Like x 1
  14. bearr

bearr Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    This video is based on old physics GT3.
    After that, the physics M6 has changed twice.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I used this setup just yesterday around Red Bull Ring and the car drove well. A big improvement over the current default settings. It's definitely worth a try.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Christoph

Christoph Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    @dungbeetle
    thank you for informing about your test drive. I will test this setup shortly.;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clausewitz

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Not sure yet, if it brings back the M6 in all it's former glory, but quite a big improvement compared to the default setup.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dungbeetle

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. It makes the car drivable and provides a good starting point for further tweaking for those who have the know-how.

Props to Jardier. :)

19. Clausewitz

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Did some more testing today and I think, for the moment, I'm gonna stick to the Z4 if I wanna drive a BMW. Eventhough the M6's laptimes are comparable (with Jardier's setup and at least on some tracks:confused:) to that of the Z4 (don't even want to compare it to the new R8 or 911:mad:; my opinion, if there's someone out there saying:"I'd take the M6 over the Porsche and Audi all the time.", feel free to speak up;)), the M6 is still quite a big step away from being fun to drive for me.

RIP M6 :(

PS and once again I wasn't able to write a post without dozens of brackets and commas, sorry for that guys:D

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  20. Cesar Maranhao

Cesar Maranhao Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I read about the m6 being harder to drive than other cars and for sure it is, not sure why I keep coming back for more on this car.

I am still quite new on this simulation games, where can I learn more on how to tune the cars? What effects each setup makes? Cheers