Brake pressure inconsistency?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Brandow, Dec 14, 2017.

1. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hey all. After the Esports WTCC ended I went had some fun with Rfactor2 and although graphically and FFB wise it is nowhere near what Raceroom is doing I am finding my race pace is way better. Just like in Raceroom I can qualify with the elite but the difference is in Rfactor2 I can race with them as well. After the commentators embarrassingly pointed out in this years WTCC "it must be frustrating to have the qualifying pace but not the race pace" I am now left even more confused.
    After jumping back on Raceroom this morning it was immediately clear what the problem is. Braking inconsistency. The fronts feel different every time I touch the brakes. X pressure equals not enough on lap one but x pressure means lock up on lap two?? Ultimately I can qualify quick, as I can spin 10 laps or so until the stars align but in a race situation it gives you no confidence to try a move or even defend as who knows what your going to get when you step on them? Am I completely nuts? Anyone else at all? I use a Fanatec V2.5 with CSL Elite pedals and my Loadcell is set to 60 in the Fanatec controller. I always run my brake pressure in game at 100%

2. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    I also got that same feeling but im suspecting my poor pedals - not the brake one but the accl giving 0-10% random input when im fully off the pedal.
    anyway, to eliminate the brake pedal issue try using some dashboard app with accl/brake gauges

3. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So I am back to Raceroom now that the WTCR cars are being announced and after the first 20 laps or so in the Audi my old nemesis is back again. Turn one I can brake right before the pit exit line on laps one and two and get the car slowed for turn in perfectly. Lap three if I try and brake there i will go straight into the wall. I brake early just to survive it but then lap 4 I brake early again and I have now over slowed way to much for turn one. The next 10 laps are just as all over the place. I am still using the fanatec CSL elite load cell and have it set to 60 in the profile and at 100% in game pressure. What is causing this inconsistency?

4. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    “60 in the profile” - meaning on the fanatec base/wheel?

You realize that makes it a non linear curve? If I’m understanding you correctly I would absolutely change that to linear so the game and your pedal are consistent.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    even with a setting of 60 it will be consistent even if non linear ....

Andi

6. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it's physics related but so we can rule it out could you report back a few things please?

Screenshot showing brake temperatures when everything is fine,

Screenshot showing brake temperatures when braking isn't going as expected.

Thanks

7. Gazza

Gazza Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I have these pedals, i found with the pedals having a fairly long pedal that if I didnt press at the top every time but lower on the pedal pad it took more force to get the same amount of brake pressure, I inverted mine so that I always press on the end of the pedal, sorted it for me:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'm running my elite LC pedals through the wheelbase at a setting of 030 on the wheel and the default 95% in Raceroom and it's very consistent. I think I read somewhere that the numbers in the driver are applied different when using the USB driver setting though.
    I found I'm the most consistent running the brake F1 style without the yellow foam. I used one of the #65 to replace the yellow foam.

9. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hi Andy. Thanks so much for writing. It is not physics related at all. I don't run any HUD at all so not sure I can get a screenshot for you but I am pretty sure its in the urethane bushings. The only confusing part is I don't seem to notice it RF2 or AC. I also do not need to push anywhere near as hard on the brake for those two games so again it brings me back to the crappy urethane bumpers

• Like Like x 1
  10. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I don't run the foam either. A mix of 80s and 65s with one soft right in the middle to give the pedal a bit of travel to help with trail braking.

11. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    When you run the pedals through the wheelbase, you can set a different BrF on 3 different profiles and adjust them while driving. I run 030 BrF on all 3 sims but I run different FFB and rotation. I use auto rotation in AC, 054 in AMS and 048 in RRE.
    My opinion on the bumpers is that the yellow foam is the one that changes based on temperature and use,so removing it gets rid of the random brake feel. It does feel weird to have an F1 style brake for a race or two, but it much better on cars where you need to transition from brake to throttle to steer very quickly. The F4 at Suzuka or the 911 GT3R at Zhuhai would be an example.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  12. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I don't run them into the base. I go straight into the PC. I figured it out though. For Raceroom I just need to drop the pressure to 50 in the properties and its solid now. Now back to being consistent and in the top 100 for the competition. Now that I know what the brakes are doing I can keep pushing. At 60 I was having to push so hard that I was deforming the urethane to far. This was causing the pressures to feel different each time.

13. Force_Measurement

Force_Measurement New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey John how's the issue been handled?