VR at reasonable price

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ElNino, Apr 17, 2018.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    PSA - For those waiting for VR prices to come down, the WindowsMR headsets like the Dell Visor, Lenovo Explorer, etc...work great for sim racing and start around $200 new (without controllers, $250 with) if you look around enough.

The resolution is higher than the rift, head tracking is perfect. I was surpised to find them when digging around for a used rift. Did some research and picked up the Dell for 200. (I bought motion controllers sepatately later) Ive had it 2 weeks. Sold 2 monitors to cover the cost. Its been fantastic. Main issue is all the other cool VR stuff like SkyrimVR is keeping me from sim racing much!

Alot of the non-VR crowd just dont know about these headsets. Microsoft has not advertised much. Im here to tell you its a great way to get into VR simracing on the cheap..totally in same league as Rift and Vive..there are pros and cons of each headset.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Did you have any problems to set it up in RR? How is the performance compared to the Rift? Two threads beyond I was saying that I am looking at a Samsung Odyssey. It has the same panels as the vive pro, better audio, better fresnel lenses (less god rays) and is a lot cheaper especially as you do not need the lighthouses. I am still reluctant though as I know my (standard) Vive works flawlessly. Especially the tracking is fire and forget in almost any lighting situation.

3. Vegaguy

Vegaguy Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I have the CV1.
    I tried the MR HP. Tracking was 100% and it fit a little nicer too. But the screen door was not reduced much, even with the extra pixels. I noticed the lenses were almost half the size of the Oculus, which reduced field of view. I ended up taking it back.

I would like to to try the Samsung MR but I think I'm going to upgrade to the Vive Pro?

4. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I will use VR more or less exclusively for Sim Racing. I think the Vive Pro's pricing is ridiculous. The tracking of the controllers is obviously more versatile but that's about it when it comes to advantages hardwarewise. The Samsung has the same panels, reportedly better audio and less god ray effects. And for sim racing I think the inside out tracking is less hassle.
    This sounds a bit biased but I found this video very interesting and it got me on the Odyssey bandwagon:

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
  6. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for late response. No problems setting up. IIRC i just had make sure i set the VR center view key mapping first before loading in VR, so i could easily center the view. Other than that it was just set the steam startup parameters (instructions are out there)

Head tracking is flawless, was same with rift, amazed with how well any of the bigboy headsets track your head. My controllers are now excellent too, but you wont be using it sounds like.

Im sure odyssey looks better as a whole, but i do hear the SDE is more obvious vs the other WMR displays due to the type of display.

I cant compare performance vs rift, only used the CV1 briefly, i just recall how good it looked, similar to my Dell. However i can say on my laptop, running a 1050ti, it surprisingly handles WMR well. Assetto corsa runs smoothly...didnt try r3e on laptop.

• Like Like x 1