EDTracker - Anyone using this?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Not Lifting Off, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Hi - I never really got the DIY EDTracker working properly (though admittedly probably didn't spend enough time tinkering with it), but now I've just got an EDTracker Pro wireless. I've tried the OpenTrack settings @Not Lifting Off posted (his curves etc.) and enable Freelook in Raceroom, but everything moves way too fast and I seem to lose the centering very easily. I'm guessing the EDTracker Pro wireless is more sensitive and requires different settings, but am not really sure what to adjust... Any tips?

2. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I'd start with the response scaling/sensitivity in your EDTracker settings, Raceroom, Assetto and pCARS all perform well with a 1.0 setting, I'd go up to 2.0 for rF2 and AMS.

If you're still finding things twitchy I'd start playing around with OpenTracks curves, some people prefer a completely linear curve others like to introduce a bit of a deadzone at the start of the curve and others yet make a non linear curve where you'll have fine precision near center and then gradually faster/more turning the further along the curve you go. It's really something you just have to play around with and find what works for you and your setup.

Never had the wireless but it's anything like the old ones I'd say make sure you've got the EDTracker set to 1.0 sensitivy and start with a linear curve for yaw and pitch while disabling roll, depending on preference on how still you need to keep your head I'd maybe introduce a 5-10 degree deadzone at the start of your curves in Opentrack.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I'll give it another go. I did already have EDTracker set to 1.0 scaling for pitch yaw and roll (not sure I need roll, at least not for Raceroom, maybe for ETS2), with a linear curve. Should I use the smoothing in EDTracker or Accela smoothing in OpenTrack (or both, though this doesn't seem to be recommended)? I think I definitely need a bit of deadzone near the start and probably less steep and more linear curves than @Not Lifting Off 's settings.

Quite excited about it, though, as a poor man's VR, especially as my PC is not compatible with VR (it's a laptop, though hooked-up to a single 24" screen)

4. schielchen

schielchen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    I don't use the free look option with my wired-pro inGame and use only ED's own smoothing.
    Here are my open track settings:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/m7zv0hgi0hqruxi/aaa.ini?dl=0
    and my ED settings
    upload_2018-1-23_10-30-46.jpeg

btw this forum is a PITA, it constantly refuses service when i'm logged in

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  5. schielchen

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    ...and no inGame bindings ;)

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Hey bud, i would love to be able to offer some assistance but i havnt used one of these for a long time, once the novelty value had gone i was finding it really odd turning my head to look right while at the same time trying to keep the car str8 and straining looking out of the corners of my eyes to the screen at the same time :)

7. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I can understand that might be an issue, but I'll see how it get on with it. Real VR isn't feasible for my setup currently, nor is triples or a much larger screen, so I need something to help with peripheral awareness on my 24" screen. If it doesn't work out for me for R3E, am sure it will still be fun for ETS2 :)

8. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    I found it GREAT for ETS2, again just let it take some time to find the settings you like. It really is like FFB, it just takes a while to dial in what you like.

For racing games the main benefit is being able to look ahead even in a hairpin corner etc so really if you're struggling, just have it set for looking left and right until you're comfortable with it. Since looking ahead/hunting that apex won't require much head movement on their own you can get away with not moving your head that much. I still had look left/right bound for checking just how close I was to another car for example.

9. Metalogic

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I might try that. I also have look back mapped to pressing BOTH left and right buttons simultaneously - neat trick, as it saves a button for something else.

10. schielchen

Ratings:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    edtracker is meant to ampllify your head movement.This is why i always scratch my head when reding about axis-1/1 setting. check my youtube channel below. Even though my pc often struggles with playing and recording or streaming and therefore the vids look jumpy, I promise the gaming is running smooth and my head direction is not leaving the inner third of the screen

11. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    The problem I have with Opentrack is that the center position wanders, yeh I know you can reset the view on the go but I don't particularly want to keep hitting a button all the time, and watching @Not Lifting Off video in the Capri his always went back to center after he straighten up..I use the wireless pro.

12. mrSweSin

mrSweSin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    I have a Tobii 4c and a 55inch touchscreen. I have to use a therdparty program FaceTrackNoIr.V200 to get it to work in driving games. The tobii 4c is made for creens not bigger then 37 inch so i have my tobii on stand 30cm away from the screen. its supose to be mounted on the the screen.