Does anyone understand the prices for used Fanatec gear?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alexander Asner, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    It amazes me that people can sell used stuff with a 50€ discount off the new product. I have even seen the new McLaren wheel with a 50€ surcharge as it is currently out of stock. I would never buy a used item via eBay for hardly 10% off a new item with full warranty and the right to return it.
    I know the price is what people pay, the market is the market jadda jadda I just cannot understand the reasoning to buy in that case.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    Never understood that, too. I would never buy a used hardware because I can save 10-15% compared to the retail price of a new item with 2 years guarantee... I start talking with a saving of about 30%+... but obviously people pay these prices...!o_O

3. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Very simple thing. Supply, demand, and free choice.

4. Lølwut

Lølwut Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Thats Fanatec for you. It has always been like that, hell it has been a lot worse even. Back when they had such low supplies that you always had to wait months before the next batch hits... or buy the stuff on ebay for sometimes double the prize. Thank god those times are over.
    Still way too expensive on the used market tho.

5. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    I've seen the new McLaren wheel (incl QR which was free for us early birds) for €350,00...

6. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yes. I don't get it. You can easily buy a Fanatec QR as new for 70€. They are often removed when a wheel is converted and pop up on the bay. 180+70 is 249€ in my book. Granted the wheels are out of stock but the next delivery for these wheels will be in June. who will pay 100 extra to get the wheel 4 weeks earlier? People are trying to get rich. Buying Fanatec instead of bitcoin. :)

7. Lølwut

Lølwut Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Youd be surprised how much people are willing to spend. As i said, a couple of years back it was even worse because almost everything was constantly out of stock. If you want fanatec, you have to preorder and pray to be on the list of that get their stuff from the next batch or buy it overpriced from random people.
    Thats why i still dont have fanatec gear except the v3 inverted (black friday sale), back in the day stuff wasnt available and later they raised the prices quite a bit wich threw me off aswell.

And as you already said, im not willing to buy used stuff thats like a year old and has god knows how many hours on it already for like a 50€ discount and little to no warranty on it anymore.

8. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. let me see. I have an Elite PS4 base an SQ shifter and the V3 pedals all ordered separately and all of that was delivered in a few days. Maybe I am lucky or maybe there is still some urban legend underway that their stuff is hard to get. :)

9. Lølwut

Lølwut Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    As i said, its not like that anymore. But the prices on ebay and the likes are still as back in the day.

10. Alexander Asner

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Well I guess it is what it is. Was just wondering.

11. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    It was the same with the CSW 2.0... you could get it only with an invitation code. A few days after the first bases were out, you could find a lot of them with +200/300 EUR on eBay... now the McLaren wheel is out of stock, so prizes are high. The same will happen when the Podium DD-Wheel series will be released, I guess.

But even ‚normal‘ used hardware is really expensive... though I understand people willing to pay more money for items just being realeased and out of stock, I don’t understand people willing to buy a used wheel for just saving 20 or 30 Euro...