WTCC Setup Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattStone, May 24, 2018.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I’ve been very much enjoying the gt3 cars of late and have got a pretty good handle on making setup adjustments to make the car behave

.... and now trying my hand with the WTCC class

I appreciate that getting these cars to turn in a corner is primary about the corner entry and mid corner, getting the car pointed in the right direction before accelerating.

During corner exit I’m finding these FWD cars just want to go straight and not turn under acceleration and I just have to be very very patient waiting until the car is almost pointing down the road before I can really start to slam down the power! Hope that description makes sense.

I’d appreciate any advice on how to get these cars to turn under acceleration

Thanks in advance

• Like Like x 1
  2. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I use WTCC 2014, not WTCC 2013 cars, WTCC 2014 cars are very easy to drive. If you want more turn in during acceleration, adjust the power of the LSD to higher setting

I use this setup in shanghai GP track and I gain 1 second out of this

3. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    FWD is much easier to drive than RWD cars in reality... I drove a Ferrari before on a racetrack, and I also occasionally take my FWD Corolla for track day

4. Xon3

Xon3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    One thing I have noticed in most cars is that there is too much front brakes. Pushing the brakes to the rear will help a bit on corner entry. Mid corner and exit is always the tricky part in fwd cars. Its all about patience. No setup changes will fix it. The cars will always understeer when on throttle. While on rwd the car will squat and loose front weight, on the fwd it will squat and spin the wheels loosing extra front traction. (I hope I'm being clear)
    You could "fix" this by making the rear harder and more rake (Lower front higher rear) but the real gains are in the driving style and patience. Also if you try to fix the exit you will end up loosing everywhere else.
    The Porsche cup is the complete opposite but with similar effects. Because it has all the weight in the rear once you get on throttle you loose a lot more grip in the front than in a GT3 that is more balanced.
    Understanding the morphology of the car can get you a long way. Never got
    me very far but I still enjoy trying :oops:.

5. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah they are very pointy on turn in...really easy to loose the back end on corner entry

Thanks guys...pretty much as I expected
    Suddenly I’m beginning to realise that the acceleration pedal on my trusty very old G25 just isn’t sensitive enough to accurately and efficiently apply the power

I think I’ll play around with the pedal. Sensitivity settings

6. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    One thing you can try is go to the controls-page, then WITHOUT looking at the screen push your throttle to what you think is 50%.
    Then check the screen and set the sensitivity so it actually matches to 50% input.
    One issue with the lack of resistance in the throttle-pedals, is that most people push it further than they think.

• Agree Agree x 1