OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I see, so you don't use the MSI graph. Nonetheless, you still get the intermittent 5fps judder, so perhaps it's really AB, and not just RTSS. In the meantime, will have to settle w/ HWInfo and Rainmeter.

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Oh by graph you mean Onscreen display ! It is always Off unless I Alt + = to turn it on .
    I had to Google "Rainmeter" that looks like it would use a lot of resources ! It looks cool fully customised but i don't have a need for that when HWInfo and MSI AB provide everything i need .
    I will try having AB off but as this stutter doesn't happen all the time it's a little hard to get a good idea of what causes it !

3. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Yes, onscreen display. But nonetheless, I think its immaterial, since in my case, as long as AB was active, judder happens after a while. Without AB, never had the hiccup again.....at least so far. :) Yeah, Rainmeter simply uses HWInfo data.

4. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Have you got it running anything like this ?

How much resources does it use when viewed in Taskmanager ?

• Like Like x 1
  5. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Im getting a crappy stutter now even when licked to ASW 45 !
    If i unlock with ASW Off it get like 75 fps so should be able to maintain 45 no problem .
    My MSI AB show ls the fps line dropping to 44 all the time when previously it was solid to 45 and completely straight !
    Whats happened ?

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Seems to be happening intermittently, as you're now also experiencing it. I tried checking processes interfering or suddenly consuming CPU but can't find any when mine drops from 90fps, except for OvrServer_x64, w/c I think is normal. So I'm guessing it might be track dependent, as it consistently happens in particular curves.

7. MuddyPaws73

MuddyPaws73 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I haven't played raceroom in a few months, but a few weeks ago I loaded it and have not been able to find a good setting for VR since. VR use to be pretty good, but not now.

It appears no matter how I set the graphics; high, medium, low or custom the only thing that changes is the amount of power the GPU is using. It appears the power will not go above about 70%. Even on the very lowest settings, 90 FPS only occurs occasionally.

I've tried different reprojection settings but with little effect. I have also tried removing any OC off the GPU. I'm have the SS set to 100%.

RR is the only VR game that this behavior occurs.

I have a Vive Pro, 8700K, CPU, 1080TIGPU, 16 GB of 3200 MHz memory,. I'm running with 720 p resolution with no mirror (monitor blank)

8. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    after the update today I also experience major stutter. Before the update with all settings on max it did run smooth with ASW set to 45fps/ Now I not even see 25FPS. so There must be something wrong with the latest update.
    Also in normal VR play ASW off and lower GFX settings I see enormous stuttering. Not playable in VR ATM.
    Back to pcars until this is solved.

9. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    This has been a prevailing issue, apparently. The other thread on 'Massive FPS drops' describes several users w/ good HW experiencing the same. Haven't found any reply from the devs, hope they're aware of it.

10. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I found this vid on Racedepartement , it show the same very low FPS that i am getting in VR , it seems its also happening on 2D screens as well .

He says MSI AB in use (!) but it is still showing 60 fps just like when i get it in VR it still shows 90 fps .

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I say: First disable Afterburner. I can't tell it more often.

12. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    It looks very similar to the Fanatec driver problem that was fixed a few patches ago, does ffb still work when it happens?

13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yeah , FFB was still working , but i cant test atm as my base is not here , but this guy isnt using a Fanatec wheel !

14. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Past 2 days of tests, MSI AB seems to be cooperating :) Cleaned some services too, so that may have helped. It's now just really game optimization that's needed, to improve HW utilization. Just had a few races in AC, and stayed locked 90 in all.

15. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hey Thomas! I was told you're the person to speak to about dialing in the VR Graphics Settings for a Vive Pro. Any suggestions you might have for me to dial in the graphics correctly?

Coming from iRacing, Raceroom looks blurry to me. I have it loading with "-vr 1.7" set. I followed the settings given by another user on this forum, but it still looks a bit blurry.

Should I set any options in the Nvidia Control Panel also?

Here are the settings I followed from another member:
    Super Sampling 1.7 to 1.8
    AAx4
    Shadows low
    Reflections low
    LOD medium or low
    Opponent Cockpit anim off
    Split shadows off
    17 cars visible
    Rear view mirror low (iRacing implements this so so much better it’s a rough comparison)
    And I think I have everything else on high.

Bloom, god rays, motion blur etc don’t work in VR in Raceroom. I have them all turned off or low, but regardless they don’t work.

Lastly and insanely stupid.
    -turn the vr flag off
    - load the game
    - change the resolution to 720P
    - exit game
    - add VR tag again
    - launch game in VR - enjoy 15-20% more performance.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

16. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    How do you start Raceroom? Do you start with the VR Option or without, when asked about the Version you want to start?(32 or 64bit, with or without VR)
    If you use the VR Option, the Launch Option with "-vr 1.8" is not in use. You can start Raceroom without the VR-Option and then it will use the SS-Setting and start in VR, or you set the SuperSampling in SteamVR (180% would be similar to 1.8).

Ah, and as Thomas mentioned somewhere before - don't use the Setting per App. There is a global setting for Supersampling in SteamVR in the Video-Tab. It will come up when you set the option "Manual Override".
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  17. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    I was training the AI and although it works wonderfully well I had massief frame drops after 2 races. 5FPS and of course unplayable. There is really something changed after the update as I did not encountered this before the update.

18. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I set it to "-vr 1.7". My Global and Application resolution is set to 100%. When the loading menu opens up I choose 64 bit VR mode.

So I'm supposed to start it on the MONITOR 64-bit, and then it will load it using -vr 1.7?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Olijke Poffer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    If you want to use the launch parameters then yes indeed. You need to start as a normal (non VR) game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Then that must be one of my issues. I'll try it tonight. Thanks for the heads up with that.

• Like Like x 2