OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. mtbiker70

mtbiker70 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    So, I’ve got some VR questions now too and even a few “frustrations” that I’ve had in the week I’ve been messing with it. Here is the setup:
    GTX 1070
    I7 7700
    16 gig ram
    Samsung Oddessy WMR

I can get VR running using the WMR Portal, then firing up Steam, then Steam VR and selecting whatever it is I want to play. When I choose RRE, no matter what I select in either the VR Advanced Settings, built in Steam VR settings and even the Nvidia Control panel (latest drivers), nothing really makes a difference visually in the sim, with the exception of settings in the game (shadows, textures, etc). The sim (and PC2, RF2) all run pretty smoothly, however I have a bad shimmer all the time and lots of jaggies. The SS settings in SteamVR do absolutely nothing in the games. I’ve tried setting the SS in the launch command on the RRE, nothing. I’ve read quite a few threads all over the web about WMR headsets, Supersampling, sometimes working, sometimes not. The sims are playable (and when in the middle of a heated battle, one of the most immersive things I’ve done on a computer), however I’m almost positive I can squeeze better visuals out of my headset. I’ve read this entire thread all the way though and there are several different settings that everyone seems to having working for them. I suppose my biggest problem is that I don’t know what a “good” visual is. This is my first time in VR so I don’t really have a base of reference. It’s playable as is, but with just enough shimmer to kind of suck you out of it when you notice. It should also be noted that I’m more of a plug/play kind of guy. My gaming, computer, personal time is so limited, I really don’t like spending hours and hours tweaking stuff. I understand that is part of this early adoption of VR, but the learning curve is steeper than I thought it was.

Dondo

2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Without having a look in your headset it's impossible to say if you are just expecting too much ofcourse :p I have a Rift so I have no idea how the WMR headsets work, but according to the specs the samsung should have a higher resolution than the Rift. So it should look pretty good. I use a combination of 200% SS in steamVR and 2x anti aliasing in game. If that doesn't make it look better you are either expecting too much, or the WMR headsets work differently with SS...

3. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Long ago Race Room's VR support was not so great...but I tried it today, and it has gotten better. I noticed the skybox/clouds is not right, and the mouseover function of the pointer when in VR trying to interact with the "CONTINUE" button is really crap (I tried on two separate VR systems). Are these known issues?

Question: I am familiar with the Simbin titles of a forgotten era, and there it was possible to edit the CONFIG file to make loads of changes and tweaks. I cannot find anything like that now, and I want to be able to lock my view to the horizon. Is that possible? The in-car camera controls are poor, with little control other than over the head movement, which is not nearly enough in VR.

Are they expecting to improve the VR experience? Right now it's well behind everything else, sadly.

4. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hi Derek. There was a suggestion to edit the cars' camera files in this thread: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/disable-world-movement-for-vr-users.7484/

The procedure, more specifically is described here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...movement-for-vr-users.7484/page-2#post-142759
    I understand, they're for pitch, yaw, roll, respectively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  5. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    reduce to icon steam vr window.

6. DreamsKnight

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    any solution for this? the bar is unusable/useless

7. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    It's a known issue and will hopefully be fixed soon

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Wasn't that fixed in previous updates .

9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    No, we're still waiting

10. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I don't understand. I run in Oculus VR. The mouse pointer will not hover over the "Continue" button no matter what!

11. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    most likely it is the SteamVR-Window displayed on your main-screen. When that Window is "in Front" of the game, the mouse will hover over that Window instead of the part of the screen in game. Unfortunately that is the exact position, where the continue-button is located.
    In the Steam-VR-Settings there is an option to hold that Steam-VR in front. If you unassign that option, your problem should be gone. Alternatively, just minimize that window...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Derek Speare

Derek Speare Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank you!

To clarify my previous remark about the VR: The VR itself is good. It is the implementation of the VR which needs improvement, those "fine details" that can make something good turn out to be not so good.

I appreciate the help! I will do the tweaking tomorrow.

13. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    It is the steam-vr popup window indeed. I had the same and could not found the solution until I stumbled on an article which described the exact same problem. Once I tackled that it all workd back again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DreamsKnight

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    How can i have a clone in the monitor?

15. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Assign a button to 'Toggle VR Monitor view' (something like that), under Controls->Secondary, then shortly after starting up R3E, press the assigned button, and the mirror will appear. In my case (usually), I have to click the mouse first before the assigned button, for the game to appear in the window (I think to respond to the 'Press any key to continue' message after it finishes loading). Also, some have said that reducing the resolution (under videos) helps w/ performance.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Or use -monitor as a launch command .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. mtbiker70

mtbiker70 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I’m still trying to figure out what overrides what when it comes to gfx settings in VR. I’ve got something usable, but I think I still have some room for improvements. It seems that settings in the Nvidia control panel don’t make much difference to what I’m seeing in the headset (Samsung Oddessy). Some of the settings in Steam VR make a bit of difference, maybe? Particularly the little slider that you can move around that controls texture quality for each individual VR game. Then you have the settings in game itself. I have almost everything turned up except for shadows and particles and while things look pretty good in-car, the environment just looks kind of fuzzy. It’s playable, but it just seems that Supersampling simply doesn’t work with WMR headsets. I know max res in the headset is below most high res monitors, but it should at least look as good as a 1080 monitor, shouldn’t it?

18. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    It's quite a feat for VR to be working as well as it does in RaceRoom.
    I'm sure DX9 is largely the problem here and with the Unreal engine in the pipeline it makes little sense commercially to allocate resources to move to DX11.
    So until a decision is made on what and when the engine is upgraded i think VR users particularly will have to accept that VR will not change very much in the short term.
    I can live with that if improvements are coming.

19. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    When I turn my head right or left to see the Seat's sides then most of the time the side is not displayed correctly and a part of it disappears (the object is culled from the rendering) because it looks like I'm to close to it. Is there a z-plane or near or whatever you want parameter to be able to display objects close to the camera? thanks.

20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I think the camera just collides with the seat sides that's why you can look through it.