What is the current situation re. OSW support? - good or not so good?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PaladinUK, Aug 16, 2018.

1. PaladinUK

PaladinUK Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I've just ordered an OSW small MiGE from Sim Racing Bay and will be moving from a Fanatec CSW2.5 set up. I'm a little apprehensive as the Fanatec gear just plain works and feels absolutely fine across all sims I play. (AC, R3E & rF2)

However I'm ready for the upgrade and want to experience the benefits of a DD wheel but whilst I appreciate that the OSW, Simucube, game settings and possibly some game files will require some setting up and tweaking, I keep reading that R3E isn't really that great an experience with an OSW, for one reason or another, with lack of 'road feel' being the one that comes up more frequently than others.

So I've a few questions please.

1. Are my concerns justified or has the experience improved of late?

2. If these shortcomings do exist, has anyone overcome them using Simucube and / or in-game settings?

3. If issues still remain after tweaking, is my R3E experience with an OSW still likely to be better than what I'm feeling with the Fanatec?

Appreciate that a lot of this is subjective as what feels right to one doesn't always feel right for someone else. However I would appreciate the general view so that I can temper my expectations if needs be and maybe focus on the other sims, which if you believe what you read, appear to offer a better OSW experience.

Many thanks!

2. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Of all the sim titles I think it’s the worst in terms of FFB unfortunately. There’s very little resistance off center and an odd oscillation when things get going. Road bumps are pretty much non existent.

It’s not unplayable but I definitely feel like it needs work.

3. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
  4. PaladinUK

PaladinUK Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Many thanks for that. Much appreciated and covers off the questions I had. Read through the thread, your own posts included and it's not too encouraging is it, especially as the issue has existed for some time without satisfactory resolution.

Pity as I really enjoy R3E, invest in the content, (have just downloaded WTCR :)) and my CSW V3 feels great and gives good feedback and ques, regardless of what I drive. Seems I'm not going to get that with the OSW / Simucube although you never know, once set up, (it's still in the box at the mo), I might be pleasantly surprised when I can make a proper comparison against the Fanatec.

Worst case I'll have to spend more time with AC, rF2 and even Pc2, all of which I've heard give a far better experience.

5. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    Mine is unpacked and ready to install, just waiting for the SSRG wheel to arrive. After that, I suspect there will be a lot of trying & testing. I hope it will turn out well.... :rolleyes:
    I wonder if the devs here have direct drive wheels and managed to work out the right setting. In that case I would love some info... :)

6. PaladinUK

PaladinUK Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    You and I are in the exact same boat. :) Everything is unpacked (SRB small MiGE) but I'm heading off on holiday tomorrow so it'll be a couple of weeks before I can set everything up. I've bought a USB conversion kit so that I can use my Fanatec rims for now but that SSRG kit you have on order does look absolutely fantastic.

Good luck with your build, hope all goes well and maybe we can share our experience, set up tips etc, etc

With regards the devs possibly having a solution, I wouldn't hold your breath as I'm sure they would have shared it by now, at least you would have thought so based on the noise coming from the OSW community!

7. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    My guess is that it will be end of september before I can really start with my OSW (also holidays coming up). My wheel will arrive any day now, but I still need to go to SimLab for the new front mount bracket and some other stuff.
    So you will probably ahead in set up, testing... :cool:

8. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If I may add to the conversation, I would say that the grip-loss effect works great in R3E using the OSW; maybe even as good as any title with the right tune. Yes, there is a noticeable lack of fine road detail but, when the game-FFB settings are in balance, the large bump-steer effect is good and can be tuned to preference; the grip-loss effect with a bit of slip-effect is superb and there should be little - if any issue, with oscillation or strange behavior around center.

I believe its mainly a matter of getting the balance correct that some OSW-users are struggling with and it took quite some time to strike a balance that works well for me in R3E. Tuning game-FFB should always be approached in a systematic way and having titles using very different settings for game-FFB makes it challenging to do so but, with enough laps and DD-experience, it does become easier to identify, isolate and tune effects to personal preference.

I can share my settings when I have more time but, I have little doubt that the FFB you get from R3E using the OSW will be anything less than marvelous with a good tune. It's really by comparison to FFB with other titles where the finer aspects may be lacking in R3E (Surface Detail) but, the essential effects needed to make driving in R3E are present and immersive.

I'm sure you will love your OSW once you get beyond the initial learning phase, no matter what title(s) you play. Tuning the SimuCube software is quite easy once the user travels beyond the initial "experimentation" phase. I think the three most challenging games to tune FFB (for me anyway) are R3E, PC2 and Dirt Rally. Most others just don't require the same amount of effort in order to understand what the FFB-settings actually do, unless you really dig into the deeper settings hidden within text-files.

• Informative Informative x 2
  9. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure what - if anything, has changed in R3E recently but, I can tell you what I have changed.
    Choose the AccuForce Controller Preset Profile as a baseline to build on. Set R3E Steering-rack effects to zero / off. If you feel any notchiness around center, try adding a very small amount of Minimum-FFB effect to remove it.
    Yes, I know that I've overcome issues I've had with R3E FFB with both the AccuForce and the OSW (SimuCube). The AccuForce controller preset did receive special attention from Sector3 in collaboration with SimXperience. That did solve some of the more glaring issues that made R3E unplayable with the AF at one point. That's why I suspect the AF preset may help avoid some issues.

Yes, I believe FFB with any title, certainly the ones you mentioned, will be much better over the Fanatec CSW 2.5. IMO, it's no contest, not even a fair comparison but, keep in mind that our preferences in FFB are likely to evolve or shift a bit over time given how the dynamics change with such systems. Once used to the OSW, the CSW will likely feel very disappointing by comparison. :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    @KudBkuik I would say please post all your settings asap for others to try and thanks

11. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    RRosw003.jpg RRsimucube012.jpg
    Here are my settings. It's important to start with a new Controller Configuration in any case but, I used the AccuForce preset to build my controller profile. Note that I have the Max Current in SimuCube turned down with RaceRoom so you'll want to adjust your FFB-Intensity in-game accordingly to suit your preference, and adjust per-car FFB where needed.

My OSW (SimuCube) uses a small Mige with a SinCos encoder (2mil). This should provide a good baseline profile in any case. Depending on the encoder your system uses, you may want to experiment with the Recon-filter setting; I'm going for a nice rubbery quality in the feedback.

I also boosted the Rumble-strip effects a little and added some Engine-vibes in the RaceRoom settings - just to add a bit of detail, and it syncs well with the tactile and motion I use. If you use Engine-vibes, you may hear slight digital motor noise coming from the OSW-motor. Motors using lower resolution encoders can make even more noise with RR when using the secondary effects; it's not hurting anything if it happens, it's just annoying. In rare cases, other titles may do that too.

The cars I used when tuning are the Formula Junior / GT3 / WTCR 2018. I haven't tested with many other cars so it's always a good idea to start out with lower Force settings when testing, just in the event there are any cases where the wheel may respond abruptly.

I hope these settings help get you going in the right direction. I think they work very nicely in RR - at least, with the cars I've driven lately.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  12. PaladinUK

PaladinUK Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    @KudBkuik thanks so much for your detailed replies here and apologies for not reading them and acknowledging sooner!

Top manand much appreciated.

I've only had my OSW built for a week and of all the sims I have set up Simucube profiles and adjusted in-game settings for, R3E gave me by far the worst and disappointing results, albeit I was kinda expecting it.

However upon using your suggested settings last night, (Simucube and in-game), along with a couple of minor tweaks suggested to me elsewhere plus one or two tiny 'sprinkles' of my own, the feeling I now get is 'night and day' compared to my first impressions. Yep road feel is still lacking overall, (albeit I now have some detail) but the grip-loss and slip-effect through the wheel is, as you mention, very, very good indeed, especially combined with motion. Responding to it is immediately intuitive and I had an absolute blast testing the wheel in anger with the WTCR 2018 cars.

So all is good for now and I can without doubt enjoy RaceRoom again although additional improvements would certainly be welcome in the future, if that were ever possible.

Thanks again!

13. KudBkuik

KudBkuik Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy to be of some help.

It's understandable that we all have somewhat different taste in FFB, even with the same hardware, title and settings, there are likely to be effects that we want to reduce or improve to some extent. If I can help someone get at least 50% of the way there, I haven't done too bad - especially when some titles have their own unique formula for communicating FFB. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    @PaladinUK could you post all your settings? Thaniks