Question Nose-to-tail accidents question

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Matthew_Wheeler, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Matthew_Wheeler

Matthew_Wheeler Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    There's been something that has been bugging me for a while in this game and it's the nose-to-tail accidents that happen between a player and an AI. This is the latest example (I was bothered enough to actually record it for one, I know how much you love proof :D) and I was wondering if anyone actually shares the same opinion on the matter.

I am in the #63 Honda in the WTCR 2018 cars at Zandvoort and I made a bit of contact with the #7 Peugeot. I would explain in detail but I think that the videos do it justice.

Is there anyone else who feels as though the initial "reaction" of my car doesn't make sense? If any car was to logically spin out from that it'll be the Peugeot (And in the opposite direction, too) Or am I not thinking straight?

PS: Like I said before, this has happened many times with many different carsets.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Peter Koch

Peter Koch Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +191 / 0 / -0
    Nice Dive Bomb

Here is a video with contact on all sides.

Tried to reproduce, but i couldn't

4. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Every time I upload or watch videos of other players with strange shocks or AI behavior the answer is: the driving style or the video is too old, a quick way to deny the problems.

Of course its a AIs bug but they will never say that the AI has problems so ..........a long way awaits you.

I chose to abandon the game and not buy more content until they fix these problems, incorporate an aggression slider and the game can compete with others, nowadays it is unplayable for me, totally the opposite happens to me with AC or Automobilista, I enjoy every second I play

Meanwhile I keep watching gameplays reporting the same problems

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    As long it satisfy you - why not :)

But I agree that the Video in the OP from @Matthew_Wheeler doesn't look normal. Yes, it was a Divebomb but the contact does not seem to harsh. In Addition it should have a reaction on both cars and not only affect the player.
    But as in the video of @Peter Koch showed, there the behavior is like expected and as I experienced it since the optimization.

Is there maybe any file stored in the games-folder that can have an effect on that maybe wasn't updated or deleted with an older update? @J-F Chardon

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  6. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    This has happened to me twice in the WTCC 17 race I did today and once in the GTR1 race I had monday... it's beyond frustrating. The way the car sundenly swerves to the side doesn't match the speed or the direction. It's just weird.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    The thing is that we are not all experiencing the same results from similar incidents. I regularly clean out my profile (except for control) maybe that makes a difference. On the whole I find that most incidents are my fault not the AI.

8. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

is there anyway anyone can fix this , i have contacted Nano"s parents as they were the developers and they say they have given up an in reality it says vapourware on the birth cert ...

Andi

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I don't think your car's reaction is illogical from a plain physics pov.
    You slam into the AI with the left side of your car, so the right side wants to keep travelling forward, and it does so while the left is stopped, simply cause inertia.

Observe the motion of the sled after the crash here, same principle. (Also note that the car being hit doesn't rotate much but more or less rolls straight on, even tho the rear right tyre is blocked.)

The only problem in your example is that the car in front is acting like a roadblock and apparently doesn't absorb any (or very little) of your car's kinetic energy, so the effect on your car seems to be exaggerated. I'm not saying that's how it should be, just that from a physics pov your car rotating to the left is not unreasonable.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    More or less yes, but as you can see especially in the second video from that incident, the AI-Car is driving like there was nothing. According to the engergy causing the Players car to move left, at least the rear of the AI-Car should get unstable...
    That can be seen in Peters Video und is what I've experienced in my few AI-Races I had in the last few month...

So that makes me wonder if there could be anything saved in the profile or gamefiles which might not be cleared with an update...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yep, that's why I said
    Not sure, but I doubt it. Still haven't found the common denominator that determines whether you get those exaggerated results or not. Everything I imagined so far (CPU load; # of AIs etc.) was proven wrong... Maybe it's just a combination of several factors, cause I for one very rarely (if ever) crash into an opponent that hard, I use lower AI #'s, and I have a multi-threading monster of a CPU. :D

12. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Andi Go said

"is there anyway anyone can fix this , i have contacted Nano"s parents as they were the developers and they say they have given up an in reality it says vapourware on the birth cert ..."

It is very sad to hear a betatester mocking a player who invests in the game and shares ideas to improve it.

Since 2014 you try to explain the AI but there is no case, I hope your best effort

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Matthew_Wheeler

Matthew_Wheeler Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I will admit, the side-to-side contact problem that used to occur has certainly been fixed. Maybe a similar look could be done with front-to-rear?

14. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Hey look its that thing I've been talking about since 2014 that coincidentally all the beta testers deny it even existing.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    It most definitely exists, but maybe it's not that bad of a thing, teaching people to not rear end others :D It's just not something that can be fixed without changing something else, it's a very fine balance with the AI being like immovable objects or like cones to knock over

16. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    During an AI race with the GT3 cars at Road America last night I got tapped a few times entering the kink and lost positions as a result of having to get the car back under control. On one occasion I looked in the rear view mirror and the AI had a similar spin as in the OP, that was a first in my experience which kind of softens the blow...a little.

17. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hey look, another guy who doesn't see the difference between "it doesn't happen" and "it doesn't happen on my end".

• Agree Agree x 3