OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I think even Odyssey is still away from a 1080p monitor , its just the nature of how VR works with the lenses magnifying all the pixels , like in theory holding you phone next to your eyes you can't see the pixels but put a magnifying glass there then look and they become visible .
    We need a few more years yet I think :(
    Things up close look great but far down the road is still a little blurry , well at least in the Rift anyway .

2. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Let’s hope with the 3rd VR generation it will start looking a lot better. I hope I live to tell the tale.

• Like Like x 1
  3. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    The Problem is the density of the Screen-Dots. As @2ndLastJedi stated correctly, the displays now in the VR-Headsets are even better than on modern Handy-Displays but if you put a magnifying glass on it, you will still see the single screen-dots.
    The Technologie for better displays with higher density is already there but comes at high cost at the moment. Little side-note - on display-side, the production of a 65" 4K-Display is cheaper than a 30" 4K-Display.

With further Display-Development, that screens will get cheaper and cheaper, so that it is just a matter of time.

4. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    I would say, actually you have two possibilities:

1. you want resolution: buy triple screen or a big 4k display
    2. you want immersion: get over the resolution and buy a vr headset

The good thing, especially for racegames/racesimulations you will not need the resolution at first, who cares if I can read the stickers on the other cars, the important thing is, I know where the other cars are. ;)

For me I choosed the second one, I will not buy racegames on the PC without VR Support anymore.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  5. mtbiker70

mtbiker70 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Oh, without a doubt. Even though I keep tweaking and messing around, asking questions, I find that my graphics “testing” sessions end up being 30 minute races and leave me grinning ear to ear on the immersion. Just today, while at home for lunch, I tried messing with some gfx settings. I ended up in a door to door battle at Road America in the AMG GT3 that was so much fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Olijke Poffer

Olijke Poffer Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    The problem with VR is, it is so immersive that you don’t wanna go back to pancake mode anymore.
    I’m really a GFX guy, always been since I saw pixars tin man animation back in the 80’s.
    I was more than 17 years busy with Cinema4D because I love GFX.
    I also start a Racegame in 2D ultra mode from time to time but I can’t get used to it any more. I miss the feeling of actually sitting in a car. Have race cars around me. Etc etc..
    Despite the lower gfx, I love VR and can’t wait until we have a setup which act like the holodeck from star trek. :D

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Robert Bachmayer

Robert Bachmayer New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've just this week re-entered the world of VR with a Lenovo explorer. About a year ago I had an OR CV1, sold it after a week as I decided it wasn't worth the $1000 Australian, graphics wise. This time around I plan to give it a better go compared to the first time.
    Reason being I really enjoy NVIDIA 3d vision 2. On a 120/144 hz 27 inch monitor. I originally went from a 2d 25 inch to triple 2d 27 inch then single 27 inch in 3d. Finding it really difficult to transition graphics wise. But the immersion is great. Looking forward to where this tech will be in 5 years.

8. DreamsKnight

DreamsKnight Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    i suppose i can't have players name over cars.. am i right?

thanks for the help i'm having fo my doubts these days :D

9. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. SylverFyre

SylverFyre Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +78 / 0 / -0
    I know we have a position bar (that we can't see the gaps on) for names, but that doesn't help when being lapped/lapping, or in practice and qually. Still, VR is great in RaceRoom and I can live with the sub optimal performance, but the names over cars being missing really is an issue. Maybe crew chief can help take up the slack there in a future version?

11. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I don't see a search function for the thread and don't have the time to read all of it. I have two problems atm: The resolution is 1024x768 px since one update and can't change it anymore. The bigger problem is that VR hangs itself up especially in RR. The view is freezing and glitching at the same time but the game moves on. Sometimes it's just a second and resets to normal, but too often i'm stuck and have to force quit. Any solutions?

12. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    according the resolution, you just need to start Raceroom without VR and change the resolution than. After that restart Raceroom in VR again.
    Maybe check the other Graphicssettings if there is any strange setting that wasn't set before. maybe that is causing your problems...

• Like Like x 1
  13. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks and fixed the resolution problem, but the VR-freezing glitch makes it just unplayable in Multiplayer. I had a fresh Windows install recently with RR included and graphics-settings were greyed out, so i didn't change anything. I guess there are too many USB-devices and RR still have problems with that by disconnecting my keyboard or HE sequential shifter. Maybe this is causing it.

14. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I'm getting an error when trying to run raceroom. Error openvr 126
    I looked it up on steam and it gives me a list of things to try, yet my Samsung headset still does not work when trying to run raceroom.
    I rebooted pc, rebooted hmd headset, moved the sub connector into another usb 3 slot, put the hdmi into another hdmi port on the graphics card.
    Headset works in the windows desktop environment, I'm able to do that, I meant to try other steam games but I did not have time, any ideas what to try next

15. Leynad

Leynad New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    IIRC I had this error before I removed the SS-rate in the launch options in Steam. So instead of '-vr 2.0' just '-vr'. I was astonished that it's still suggested and wasn't a problem before an update. If it's not working, reinstall open VR.

• Like Like x 1
  16. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    FWIW, I still have '-vr 2.0' in Launch options.

17. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
  18. MaXyM

MaXyM Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys.
    Despite the fact I own R3E for years now, I recently tried it again, this time with VR.
    Everything works exceptional. But there are a few important glitches which more or less affects gameplay.

The most noticeable thing for me is wrong size/position of driving wheels. There are cars where the wheel is very small (even animated hands looks like girls' one). A lot of wheels are "mounted" very low. So I have to chose between view through a wind-shield or seeing a MoTeC LCD. In other cars (like Audi GT3), the wheel is too big and located too hight, obsuring a view. Trying to move a seat higher, my virtual eyes ends up on the sun protector level... really strange.
    I suppose an interior is modelled with comfort of non non-vr racing in mind but it doesn't match real perspective (VR). Do you have similar experience?

Another thing is a strange perspective. I looks like objects moving away are being smaller too quickly. It's very visible going with BMW Z4 GT3, which has massive hood, even more massive thanx to the perspective, but car 1m ahead seems smaller than should be, and another car 100m ahead is definitively too small (for my taste). Do you have similar feeling?

Yet another thing are brake lights which are barely visible to me. I have bloom enabled but it seems it doesn't help. Any ideas how to improve this experience?

While gfx in overall looks very well and is well performant, I found some LCDs in some cars unreadable. Even if I move my head forward as close as possible to the LCD. Is it any way to improve readability? I have everything maxed out in gfx settings, except car reflections or mirrors quality with AA x4. But without any SS (SteamVR nor in-game).

Just a note, I'm not new to VR. I'm comparing my experience to Dirt Rally and PC2. So while listed issues might be subjective I could say I have a good reference to compare with.

And the last thing, It seems Steam doesn't take launch options into account. I'm using -vr monitor, and everytime I run the game from a Library, it asks for a mode to run the game with. However if I run the game from a shop (test drive mode) it accepts launch parameters so I can see the rendered image in VR as well as on monitor.

Edit... ah one more thing. It seems R3E doesn't provide spatial sound. I've read somewhere that it's how it is. I suppose nothing changed since this?

Thanx in advance
    with regards

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  19. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    regarding the perspective and sizes... have you checked if you can do anything with the Word-Size-Settings? For that you need to assign some buttons.
    Same for seat-position... That position is saved per car. Maybe you need to move it a bit up/down or Forward/Backward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    regarding world scale/size... since the WTCR is out I can finally compare the Golf GTI TCR cockpit to the one from my Golf .. and now I think I've got it really close to the real size. Oculus eye distance set to 66mm (which is .. well.. my eye distance :D ) and then multiplication in R3E set to 1.100000..... I always had it at 1.0000 which resulted in a way too big cockpit.
    I once sat in an Audi R8 and the R8 LMS cockpit now also seems more "familiar" regarding distance driver to passenger door and size of dashboard etc.
    But I think the FOV of the camera could also be adjusted a little bit. Have to fiddle around a bit.