GTR3 Announced

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Rodger Davies, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    Interview going live tonight :)

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. maanzaadje

maanzaadje Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yes sure, if you say so......

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  3. Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. Paul Jeffrey

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    lol, sadly not even that :(

Holding off on new images ATM, as we kinda ran out of time to get something that was worthy of showing with so many potential eyes on the piece. Worry not though, I'm going to keep pushing.

I've seen plenty of shots from the game so far and it looks great to me, but heck, I'm not a dev, so I'm probably not the best person to tell them its fine if they say otherwise :D

• Like Like x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Its seems they aim to be pretty much what I expected: appealing to the console market, including the PC market, but not becoming a contender for Raceroom's simulation standard.

Can be a good game, a good package, like Gran Turismo is a good, round, complete package as well, but no serious simulation. But it will not be my cup of tea. I can drive only so and so many titles in a week with 7 days and 24 hours per day, I now use two simulations and soon it will be three. No serious need to get engaged in a fourth one.

I wish them good luck, why shouldn't I. Last but not least because their engine will ultimately end up to be used in Raceroom as well. But I will likely remain to be a Raceroomer and Assetto Corsarist.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    With these new informations I got from the interview my interest in GTR3 drastically dropped.. but I will keep my eyes on it when some other news appear in the future, and I'm sitting in my rocking chair while railing against the children stepping on my lawn.... dusting off my Fanatec RealGear(TM) 3 Wheel to have some nostalgia time with Assetto Corsa 6 and Eurasia E-Truck Simulator 11.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    So my take from the interview was R3E won't get any UE4 love unless we all buy the never to be released GTR3 ?

Looks like R3E will fall down the list of go to Sims in the future as the likes of ACC and rF2 /AMS get released and updates .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Hmm... I'm cautiously optimistic. As long as they don't dumb down the physics (with the experience from r3e I doubt it will be inacurate), the focus on SP career and how robust and detailed it may be is something I look for .This is something I miss in simracing genre, if you want a career take a spread sheet a create one yourself

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    Hopefully it won't be like Pcar (2).

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Id rather it like pC2 than Forza , lol

11. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    But the interview makes it clear it won't be a sim.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The reaction at RD and AC forums seems to be overwhelmingly negative. Plenty of bashing and mocking.

They really blew their stunt - although they repeatedly mentioned the importance of the "first impression". When they know it, why did they violate it?

It will be a steep uphill battle from here on.

The delay in the publishing of this interview, no matter the real reasons, certainly offered a wide open flank for attack and interpretations not helpful, too. Unfortunytely these bad first impressions will be remembered and added to the already not impressive legacy of the game title "GTR3".

Very bad start. I would call it a PR nightmare. Not because I think this necessarily will be a bad game, but by judging it by the reactions in the past two weeks.

If they go into simcade territory, they are facing very tough competiion, I thzink, tougher than the one by PC heavyweights like Assetto Corsa, or (by numbers) PC2. Consoles are bigger play ground, and the beasts to keep up with have names like Gran Turismo, Forza, and again PC2. To set themselves apart from these and still offering a successful formula, will be very difficult.

I think the future does not look as bright as they paint it. But that may be just me. They done me no wrong, so I must not take enjoyment from their failure. I wish them good luck. They will need it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    My biggest disapointment from all this circus is that, for some reason, things have been arranged in such a way, as to make Sector 3 dependent on what seems to be the racing equivalent of Duke Nuken Forever, in order to get a new graphics engine. :(

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    SimBin had the opportunity to do something great, they had the company name and the game title to draw in the crowds, over half a million members at RD alone, you could pretty much guarantee that every one of them would want to purchase GTR3 if it was a pure sim along the lines of GTR and GTR2, even a GTR2 remaster would probably sell very well.
    They could have broken the iRacing/rF2/AMS strangle hold, a standalone game, charge £40 for that, provide proper physics, proper setup and general options, listen to the SIM racing community, driver swaps, flat spots etc, good net code and official licensing. We'd have bought that.
    DLC? Provide full support series for official content, as long as it's the same quality as the original content, charge £30-40 for that and we'd probably buy that too.

Announcing GTR3 will not be a proper SIM, to cater for consoles and new players who likely don't know the legacy of the franchise doesn't seem like a smart move, the name means nothing if the player base has never heard of it before.
    Announcing the same on a SIM focused website is even worse, bordering moronic. That's over half a million members now either disappointed or angry. Word of mouth spreads quickly and in this case, it'll almost certainly be in a very negative way.

From a personal point of view, Chris Speed/SimbinUK have taken something almost sacred in the SIM racing world, used it as a cheap marketing tool (in the wrong way) and destroyed a legacy.

In the words of my late mother (words that hurt the most), I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 2Lame2Aime

2Lame2Aime Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    I really thank Skybird und D.Boon for reading and expressing my mind in such an accurate and eloquent way!

16. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Kinda funny this "drama" :D

Personally i wait until it´s done and if i like what i see i will buy it and if i don´t like it / if it´s not for me then i won´t be disappointed. If it´s a good and solid game then I´m sure there are people out there that will like it :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the drama is because of it being a semi-sim or whatever, but like @D.Boon wrote, for using a franchise (highly respected by sim racers) and seemingly not to try to follow it's path.
    Instead it all seems very vague and like "we have to put out gtr3, no matter what".

Many people got heartbroken because they're in one way or another emotionally attached to GTR2.

What if they announce half life 3 and after years and month of telling how awesome it will be they tell you it will be full of microtransactions, lootboxes, the characters are furrys, and they also want to release it on mobile platforms...

..I personally would say "ok, let's wait, maybe it's good enough"... But halflife 2 fans maybe could react like the simracers now and here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Unless I read it wrong nothing says that the physics will be simple or that it will be a simcade. It says that it will not be a traditional sim and that it will have aids for less skilled.. I can see how having emails, propositions to switch teams or car updrades mid-season might not be what hardcore simracers look for in a sim but it doesn't mean that it has to take away from driving experience. It a good thing that someone wants to bring new racers to the genre by giving them something more than great physics and looks. GTR2 already had a driving school which was great. Maybe they want to go further to spread the simracing decease on new players. I wish them luck if that's the case. Gateway ̶d̶r̶u̶g̶s̶ games FTW.

So as long as the physics are right I'm interested and will be buying GTR3 .

19. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    He could have said its a sim with driving aids and a career mode. That's not unusual All sims have driving aids and several have a career mode. But he doesn't. He says its not a sim. Raceroom has driving aids but apparently its too hard for some people. It would seem that this is the audience he's aiming for. Contrast this interview with the first interview early in 2017 with Chris's brother Allan where Allan was clear GTR3 would be a proper simulation.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  20. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    But in the same interview Chris added the following:
    https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/gtr-3-by-simbin-coming-in-2018.131230/

• Like Like x 1