Wanted - Improvements for VR Users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FormelLMS, Nov 7, 2018.

1. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So as @J-F Chardon said, he wanted to know, what Improvements the users need vor Virtual Reality at Raceroom.

So I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread, where the devs could have a look on.

I hope that all VR users think about it, how to get raceroom more compatible to this world.

1. Lock to horizon - this feature should be there with the next version
    2. All lists and texts in Multiplayer lists and leaderboards are difficult to read or nearly unreadable
    3. In Game: the HUD things should lock to a place in the car. I only have the Position Bar on, because with every HUD element the immersion is going away. But position bar is on, so I know, who my opponent is and if he is an opponent and not overlapped, overlapping or something else. But the bar breaks the immersion. I know, that we can switch it on and off easily, but in a race it isn't that easy. So if it's, let's say, glued to the roof or above the windshield, it doesn't break the immersion, because we have to put the head up to see it.

So these are my three things I would love to see.

Now, please, many ideas from all of you

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    The possibility of moving the position bar further up or far to the bottom out view would be great.

What is more important to me and breaks the immersion from time to time are the clipping issues. Looking to the left or right, the view often clips into the seat or the window net. Would be great if this could be solved.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it would be nice to be able to change the near plane clipping distance so we can't see through the sides of the seat.

Another vr annoyance is the shadow culling. Shadows appear and disappear as you turn your head

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes. And the shadows look very awful in VR. I don't find a way to get them a bit cleaner :(

5. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Not only the shadows... Some Track-Objects appear or disappear, too. Especially on the right side of current perspective.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    For me the #1 thing that is a must to fix is the GPU USAGE in VR. This sim can look fantastic AS IS if you could just turn most stuff on and keep 90FPS.

R3E isn't using any more than 50% no matter the settings.

You can throw as much hardware horsepower as you want at it, it's just not optimized. What is holding the program back from using more GPU?

BTW I have tested iRacing (uses up to 99% GPU) and ACC (up to 90% GPU).

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  7. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Tested that myself and see that my GFX Cars is used at 65 % The Problem is, that the Processor is used over 90 %.
    Heard, that this is the bottleneck.

Hopefully we get some advices, which setting is used only graphics power and which uses CPU Power.
    Is that Possible with a list of all graphics setting, @J-F Chardon ?

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Regarding on screen stuff like opponent etc why not just use crew chief and ask him? Thats the ultimate in immersion. I'm only using a single large screen but have all the on-screen stuff turned off. Crew chief give me all the info I need.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Shadows is your answer :p especially car shadows are a killer, even with only 10 cars visible. I easily get 90fps everywhere with only contact shadows (normal and car shadows completely off) on medium to high settings with a 4770k@4.4ghz and a 1080ti.

10. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    The answer for part 1. But part 2 would be great for all.
    R3E is grown very much, but most of it is undocumented and hard to understand. IMHO .

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Better CPU usage!
    Better optimised shadows to improve performance!
    I can pretty much max the game out as long as shadows are off and get 90fps but i really need shadows on so im stuck at 45 fps with ASW which doesn't look all that bad in R3E but you can feel the lag of only 45 fps So if we could get better shadows that are optimised better for VR would be my top of the list

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Onaflyer

Onaflyer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    This sums it up perfectly! Sector 3 you already have a winner. R3E is fantastic as is, no real need to go spending tons of time and resources changing or adding stuff. Just make the stuff that's already there work better.

Sector 3 Optimize this sucker!

• Agree Agree x 1