Special Events - 2019 Archive

Discussion in 'Special Events' started by Robert Wiesenmüller, Nov 4, 2018.

1. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Whoa, it's today. Don't know why I thought it's on Sunday :D Would have missed it.

So good luck and see you there

2. Robert Wiesenmüller

Robert Wiesenmüller Esports / Events

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    We will stream here at 18:15 GMT (19:15 EU):
    https://www.twitch.tv/raceroomracingexperience
    The friendly Mike Bell will join in as a co commentator.

You can also watch the replay afterwards (it will be in the top right corner).

3. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
  4. Dariusz Wielgosz

Dariusz Wielgosz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Macau is so much fun to drive. Love this crazy track.

Shame about the race. Lasted only 500 metres as Gemeinhardt took me out in Mandarin. Hopefully these events become a regular feature. Definitely will enter if a fun track car combo comes along.

5. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    Results: http://game.raceroom.com/championships/21#results_round
    Stream replay: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/336676976##

Thx to everyone who raced! We had some fun on commentary!

Bit disappointed in the attendance. The big problem with the normal Esports system is that when you are slower, you have almost no chance to qualify, and I also have to send hundreds of invitations with no response. I thought if you pay a small amount (we tried to find an amount that doesn't really hurt anyone, but you only pay if you want to drive), we will have not so many drivers but those drivers who sign up are more likely to actually take it serious, prepare and show up.. But when I see the attendance in lower divisions, it's hard to justify running such a format... and that sucks so much more for those drivers who DO take it seriously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Have patience please, give it a chance:)

7. SaschaG

SaschaG Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    It was real fun!

But one word to Dariusz: Yes I hit you, but after you hit Feher in front of you, so there was no chance for me to brake. I think you should not blame me for this accident, it was bad luck that Feher in front of you was sliding and lifted the throttle.

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Please do not give up on the concept just yet, sometimes it takes time for something to become established and then will attract more committed drivers. I think perhaps Macau was such a hard track for the first event that many people decided they could not race competitively even after entering? I for one did not enter as I knew I can not race around that track in a safe manner.

I think the idea of official raceroom races where all can compete is a good one and is certainly something that could attract new users to the game. I understand that having to set all this up manually must be a chore, I wonder if there could be some collaboration with the SRS platform to automate the process to some extent?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Adrian Storr

Adrian Storr New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Build it and they will come!

Thank you guys for all the effort you put in to it.
    Although i did manage 3rd on server 3, it was a very hard unforgiving track. I agree with ravey1981. It was maybe not the best choice of circuit to get people to join in and maybe if it had been at one of the more "famous" circuits maybe there would have been more participation but we live and learn. Please don't give up yet. I for one am looking forwards to the next one as i was really impressed with the way it ran. You guys done a fantastic job.
    Thank You.

• Like Like x 3
  10. DerBassistent 2

DerBassistent 2 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeeeeehhhaw what an intense race for me!
    thanks to the topspeed i could regain some places after the pileup at the beginning!
    and screwed it in the last 2 corners!-(
    That was fun and felt like flying through a tunnel!

Formula3
    Stefan Fritsch
    Retrolux-Racing

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  11. Dirk Knatz

Dirk Knatz Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,
    to be part of the first Special Event in Macau was great fun, and make it to server1 was absolutly a surprise.
    Cause first time driving gt3 cars and not knowing how to Setup theese cars, except the Porsche.

In case of knowing not to have the pace of the frontrunners, so my choice was the BMW M6, and stay out of trouble
    after the start. It works and put me to p14, but after melco hairpin i got a Little touch from behind, at the same time
    my back was loose. Thats racing, so i pushed the reset button cause it was still a Long way to go.
    In the end it was p15, maybe some Drivers had damage or fuel Problems?
    It doesnt matter, p15 was my Goal.

Hope more Special Events to come, i am shure that there will be more Drivers on the grid, cause Raceroom
    put it on a high Level and everyone has the Chance to participate.

Thanks to everyone who`s involved in this Event and a big Hand to Rob and Mike,
    its allways a profesionell comantary.

KEEP RACIN

12. jo_siffert

jo_siffert Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    @Robert Wiesenmüller
    Why not limit the entries to (an example) 25 laps with the stock setup?

Just to make sure no one can do 500 laps fine tuning his setup to crash out the first lap because someone had the same borderline setup and missed the break point by 5m...

It may be a step into more real racing.

And aliens will always be aliens, also with limited time.

Greets
    Jo

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    Limited time or laps for competitions? This has been brought up a few times, also within RaceRoom, but personally I do not like it, sorry.
    Right now, you can simply go to single player leaderboard and practice as much as you want. So it wouldn't change much except that you have higher pressure for those 25 laps that count, and people that enter the 25-lap-competition early without knowing they can practice elsewhere will be frustrated. Unless of course you could buy a new session, right? :D That's more like real motorsports where the rich guys win!
    And if that issue is solved somehow that you can't practice elsewhere - it would mean drivers do 25 laps practice at best. I don't think this will help the racing quality.

Stock setup? I think that could work. I guess it would take away a bit the long term motivation, but make it easier for newcomers and more casual racers.
    I come from league racing in communities like Virtual Racing and TouringProSeries and there it was just "part of the game" to change your setup, so it was never really considered so far, but I am actually not so sure where the community stands on this question.

14. SaschaG

SaschaG Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion tweaking a car's setup is an important part of racing.

BUT: You have to know how accurate the physics are. Probably it could be helpful to get a short intro into setting up different cars in general (the favorite ones - GTR3, WTCR, DTM ...) with some hints where physics are not as they are in real life. So let Alex Hodgkinson and an alien like Tim Heinemann post some videos about setup and physics. So it will be more transparent for all users.

One of the most important things you have to know as a race driver/engineer is the tyre behavior and aero mapping. Then you are able to make the right decisions for your setup. Maybe you can provide this information in a way that every serious racer can understand it and learn how to take this information into account when it comes to tweak the car's setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    With the Bathurst 12hr event just over a month away are there any plans to hold a special event in honour of it? The Bathurst 1.2 hours would work well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, why not? Let's do it.

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    There is also Daytona 24h and not one but 2 events on Sebring - 1000 Miles and 12h

Just saying :p

18. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    • Love it! Love it! x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    What a great idea!

20. Robert Wiesenmüller

Ratings:
    +1,133 / 0 / -0
    Yup 100% stolen from this thread :) But when there are already good ideas, why not just implement them?

• Agree Agree x 1